Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 02:37 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
As a UK colony & then a country in its own right, the US has always been multi-cultural - but mostly denied it. The Native Peoples were here, Norse (briefly), Spanish, Portuguese, French, Dutch, Swedish. The UK was last - & look to history & literature on the Native Peoples, pushing west, the romanticism around the cowboy & sod busters. America is named for an Italian cartographer - who finally did set foot on the place, as I recall.

When the Native People were driven off (& many died of European diseases), & Indentured servants became adept @ heading west too - we brought in Black slaves - to fill the need for labor.

Newspapers in the US are heading for the last roundup. Brokow might comment on that, but it's a touchy subject, although one he has experience in, having served in media for all (?) of his career. Once the newspapers finally fold - Who will provide content for the news amalgamators? They'll have to work out new arrangements, & likely have to pay for their content - a new experience for them.

There were no natives to this country/continent. All of our early ancestors migrated here from somewhere else. Everyone born here is a native American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So, you think that is all anyone objects to? I suggest you stop exaggerating. It is "one" of my pet peeves because I don't like feeling like I'm in Mexico when I go out in public. I couldn't care less what the gist of their conversation is. It's BS that Spanish speakers or any other group has a stronger family framework. WTH does language usage have to do with that?

Illegals have no right to come here to work and take American jobs, taxes and resources. Americans have families to feed to. Hispanics aren't any more family orientated than any other ethnic group. To claim superiority about any specific group is based on racism. Non-Hispanic Americans go to church and work hard also. So American culture doesn't include those things? Let me guess, you're Hispanic or have ethnic ties to them. Very telling.
How can you sit there and say that language has nothing to do with it yet turn around and say you resent hearing Spanish in public? Also, which jobs are people that cross over from the southern border taking from Americans?

19,797 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I think that people form opinions, right or wrong, in large part from their personal experiences.

My experience, starting from when I moved from Ohio to Hawthorne, California in 1963 when I was nine years old, was that many "Mexicans" (most of whom I think were U.S. citizens, but spoke both Spanish and English) did not want to assimilate because they were proud of their Mexican heritage. However, I did not form any negative opinion of Mexican-Americans untill my 'WASP' sister became deeply involved in the Cholo* (lower-class Mexican-American culture, of which illegal drugs, alcohol and violence played a large part) when she was a young teen and became deeply and very negatively affected by that (imo). That colored my view drastically and led to some bigotry on my part regarding Mexicans and Mexican-Americans. It was only time and associating with many hard-working and/or middle-class Hispanics, who had assimilated into the predominant Anglo culture of that time, that ended my bigotry to a great degree -- as well as my eventual realization that the Europeans were the real (most recent) invaders.

However, all that being said, I admit that I do become both irritated and annoyed when I am forced to listen to bilingual voice mails for businesses, and with seeing so many advertisements and manuals printed in both Spanish and English, as I think it is a waste of time for most people, and it also wastes money to print extra pages for manuals or whatever. I definitely do support the idea that all U.S. citizens should be able to read, write and understand English, even if they choose not to speak it.

* https://www.britannica.com/topic/cholo-gang-subculture

Last edited by katharsis; 01-28-2019 at 03:08 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 02:38 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times
There's also an issue with them not trying to understand cultural norms. I've had to get testy with some of my immigrant neighbors because they don't understand basic courtesies. And a number of them don't speak fluent English so it's a struggle to communicate this to them.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:40 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
All immigrants should. They don't like they used to,
Many people have a short memory. My grandmother was born in Chicago in 1888 to German immigrant parents who had arrived in the USA in the late 1870s. My grandmother spoke German at home with her parents and siblings and with many other families in her Chicago south side neighborhood. There were German social clubs, German newspapers and German speaking businesses.

At school, the children including my grandmother learned English perfectly, but my grandmother's parents were both full time workers and they never learned English perfectly. They had a strong accent, had difficulty writing and never learned the grammar perfectly. Does that mean that my grandmother's parents did not assimilate into American society? They got off the boat with nothing and set about to work, start families and households and contribute to society through their work. Assimilation does not always translate to forgetting about the land of their birth, their original language, or how fast and perfect a first generation immigrant learns English. The skills, knowledge, traditions and culture that immigrants have brought to the USA are part of the assimilation process.

I challenge anyone who puts down an immigrant for lack of assimilation to move to another country and try to assimilate into another culture, where English is not the language of the country. It is easy to say, but from my own experience on more than one occasion, I know it is not that easy to do.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:40 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
This is a good idea. If you don't like that we are a multicultural nation, maybe Denmark would be a better option. Though then you'd have to get used to the travesty of everyone being able to access high-quality medical care, which I understand is also an issue... maybe something like Armenia or Moldova? Not sure about their healthcare situation.
It has always been multicultural. However Hispanic culture has flooded areas and by lack of assimilation expect other cultures to bend to them. That isn't very multi.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
I believe the ones that actually associate or know immigrants would know that most do assisimulate, maybe to well. Some of us struggle with actually keeping some of the language and culture wilth in the newer generations, I’m struggling with it now, my eldest is struggling in Spanish class . So no it’s not the truth...

What immigrants are you referring to? This topic is about Hispanics only. The fact is that with so many of them being allotted our highest quotas for legal immigration, family reunifications and massive illegal immigration from their ethnic group it's not happening at the same level as other immigrants. They are colonizing rather than assimilating. Aside from those from south of our border there are the Spanish speaking Cubans in the Miami area. You can't even get a job there unless you speak Spanish. I wouldn't call that assimilation. What's troubling is that even though many learn English they refuse to unless they have to.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:46 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Nothing at all wrong with his comments. Immigrants should come here and assimilate. The response by some of those attacking him, calling for America to change for the immigrants is what is racist and outrageous.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
How can you sit there and say that language has nothing to do with it yet turn around and say you resent hearing Spanish in public? Also, which jobs are people that cross over from the southern border taking from Americans?

What? I didn't say that. What are you talking about? You must have misinterpreted what I said. Illegal aliens have taken once good paying construction, commercial landscaping and many other blue-collard jobs from Americans by working for less. Have you been living in a cave or just in denial?

Old 01-28-2019, 02:49 PM

23 posts, read 77,081 times
Truth why shouldnt they do what all immigrants had to do when they came to the USA, They are not the exception to the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies