Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:58 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,087,126 times

Advertisements

Just curious how everyone here feels about an "everybody wins" deal. Would both sides getting everything they want work for you?

Trump gets his FULL asking $5.7B for the wall. Trump can celebrate a victory, and Trump supporters who are very concerned about border security, will be happy.

Democrats get FULL asking DACA & TPS reform, PERMANENT solution. No more temporary fixes. Democrats can celebrate a "win," and democratic voters who are very concerned about protecting the immigrants already here and giving them a path to citizenship.

Notice how I tried to word both paragraphs as similarly as I could, to show that both Trump & Pelosi "win," and both republican voters and democratic voters get what they want.

Would that deal work for City-Data supporters here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 10:29 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
well its been an hour since you posted, and no-one is willing to answer

although I do think a wall is a good idea, and will work in the areas it can be put up...

a wall or even a fence is not feasible in some areas...there are people who own property which is right on the line...and NIMBY says they wont allow a fence or a wall, and we don't have the funding for eminent domain, which has to come directly from congress

------------------

as to DACA and tPS:

they came here illegally, yes it was their parents, but the fact is they are still illegal.... therefore I don't think that REWARDING them with protected status or a path to citizenship, is exactly fair, being they broke the law, and cheated to get here.... there are plenty of people trying to emigrate the legal way (yes it is a very slow process that should be streamlined) to become a citizen, and the illegals (Daca, people overstaying a visa, etc) are cheating to be here and hurting those who want to do it the correct way.

so would I be happy with your proposal....eh

1. first I want a complete fiscal analysis of the complete cost of building a wall/fence/enhanced security

then lets talk the cost, to include eminent domain, locations, on our side of the border, or on Mexico's side of the border, etc

2. I don't want a blanket amnesty for daca's and other illegals... I want a full vetting of them AND their families (the background of the parents, etc).... ones who SHOW and PROVE their loyalty to the USA, that they can hold a job, and have done well in education...OK give them citizenship...those whom have loyalty elsewhere, commit crimes, are not employable, or failed in schools....deport them....... and signed in blood, by the liberals that never again will we give another amnesty

Last edited by workingclasshero; 01-28-2019 at 11:29 AM..

Old 01-28-2019, 10:51 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Why should we waste another $5.7 billion to keep his ego intact? The tax cuts have already pushed up the deficit $2 trillion. It will soon impact our economy. And no, we don't need all the immigrants.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:04 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
We need more adults like Neutral Party in government. Yes, I think a permanent DACA amnesty in exchange for the wall is a fair trade. It's a reasonable compromise settlement. But since we don't have adults in charge, it won't happen.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:07 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I'm concerned with the commitment to the capital expenditure without a more thorough re-enforcing of border control policies and procedures.

The wall is a simplistic approach to a complex problem. The Dreamers and TPS is only part of the multi-faceted issue.

We obviously need a more effective visa system, e-verify system and accountability for American citizens that hire illegal residents. There isn't a company in the USA that has an illegal resident working for them that doesn't know that person is illegal.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:08 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
if thats the case he should just do the emergency declaration today
It wouldnt work, his weakness is known now.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:11 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Just curious how everyone here feels about an "everybody wins" deal. Would both sides getting everything they want work for you?

Trump gets his FULL asking $5.7B for the wall. Trump can celebrate a victory, and Trump supporters who are very concerned about border security, will be happy.

Democrats get FULL asking DACA & TPS reform, PERMANENT solution. No more temporary fixes. Democrats can celebrate a "win," and democratic voters who are very concerned about protecting the immigrants already here and giving them a path to citizenship.

Notice how I tried to word both paragraphs as similarly as I could, to show that both Trump & Pelosi "win," and both republican voters and democratic voters get what they want.

Would that deal work for City-Data supporters here?
No.

trump has no plan. Where does the cost end? Highly doubt $5.7B is the whole thing, nobody knows, because there is no plan! He wants the "wall" or whatever they're gonna get for $5.7B as a monument to himself. They've currently got something like $1.3B approved for work on existing walls and they've only started work on something like 120 miles.

Most drugs, terror suspects, etc come through legal ports of entry. They're not walking across the border. I'm all for addressing those issues, but that takes a plan, which trump does not have.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:17 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
We need more adults like Neutral Party in government. Yes, I think a permanent DACA amnesty in exchange for the wall is a fair trade. It's a reasonable compromise settlement. But since we don't have adults in charge, it won't happen.
There would have to be something in it about no further amnesties otherwise we'll be back here again. It needs to be clear, you come here illegally you will always be illegal and prepare for deportation.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:24 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,194,294 times
I would do it. Along with the $5.7 for the wall I would also push for an additional $2 billion for border patrol agents, ports of entry security and technology along the border.

The failure by both parties to get a reasonable compromise is why I’d keep an eye on Schultz in 2020, who according his his words, “An independent person, not in anyway in bed with a party.” That’s going to attract a lot of folks should he run. People are fed up with the parties

Old 01-28-2019, 11:26 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Id be on board I think. Heck I'd even sweeten the deal with another 3 billion for port of entry upgrades, mandatory everify, and hiring more judges for border cases.

But thats because I dont mind wasting 5.7 billion in order to spend 3 billion that would be effective, and resolving a long term problem Republicans have repeatedly ignored, or used to hold folks hostage on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies