Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:54 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,072,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There was never going to be a victory in Afghanistan, besides we were not there to defeat the Taliban.
No we weren’t.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
The Talibans religious ideology literally doesnt allow for permanent truces or peace with infidels. Per their own dogma any treaty with the US can only be a short term tactical move or feint.

The truth is that we cant leave Afghanistan anytime soon.
Why can’t we? Did you lose something over there?

The United States has no right to force treaties on any Afghan within Afghanistan. It’s not our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 03:23 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,804,040 times
We handled the Afghanistan war wrong to begin with. We should have destroyed the Taliban and killed all Taliban members. Instead we let the Taliban thrive. I wish the Russians won their war against Afghanistan in 1980. It would have been a secular country and their would be no place for the Taliban. As long as the Taliban exists I will hate Afghanistan and the Afghan people.

If at the start of the Afghan war 17+ years ago the two choices were A. We drop a nuclear bomb on Afghanistan or B. We don't destroy the Taliban and in 2019 we draw a truce with them I would passionately choose option A.

Last edited by Jay F; 01-29-2019 at 03:50 AM..

Old 01-29-2019, 03:54 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,148,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We could’ve gotten Bin Laden without losing a single soldier in Afghanistan.
How?

Old 01-29-2019, 04:02 AM

68,298 posts, read 54,147,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
The Talibans religious ideology literally doesnt allow for permanent truces or peace with infidels. Per their own dogma any treaty with the US can only be a short term tactical move or feint.

The truth is that we cant leave Afghanistan anytime soon

Why? WHAT are we likely to accomplish that hasn't been in 17+ years?

Old 01-29-2019, 04:27 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,461,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
We handled the Afghanistan war wrong to begin with. We should have destroyed the Taliban and killed all Taliban members. Instead we let the Taliban thrive. I wish the Russians won their war against Afghanistan in 1980. It would have been a secular country and their would be no place for the Taliban. As long as the Taliban exists I will hate Afghanistan and the Afghan people.

If at the start of the Afghan war 17+ years ago the two choices were A. We drop a nuclear bomb on Afghanistan or B. We don't destroy the Taliban and in 2019 we draw a truce with them I would passionately choose option A.
That’s harsh. Nobody deserves to have a nuclear bomb dropped on them.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:31 AM

24,398 posts, read 9,263,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is an admission that we failed in Afghanistan.
Who cares? We also failed in Vietnam.

Breaking news, America is human and invading countries doesn’t always work.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:33 AM

24,398 posts, read 9,263,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post

Dropping nukes is a good way to start WW3.

Sorry that you’re suicidal but the rest of us want to live long fulfilling peaceful lives.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:50 PM

10,931 posts, read 11,682,389 times
The only problem with this is that in Helmand Province, it won't matter. The tribes will still be at each other throats competing for control of land, other natural resources, and roads. It's been that way for centuries. In Helmand, the average "resident" was happier under Taliban local rule than under the rule of the Central government, backed up by the presence of US and UK forces.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:24 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,057,116 times
I mean, in theory, I would love to see this work.

But are we literally trusting the Taliban, terrorist organization that we've been fighting for 17 years, to keep its word and trust them on "good faith" that they will no longer allow the region to be a hotbed for...terrorists?

Has Trump or any of his top people involved in these talks considered that they could possibly just be telling us what we want to hear so the U.S. military will leave???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies