Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 10:53 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times

Advertisements

We have a variation of this in Maryland. Illegals are entitled to in-state tuition rates.

Of course folks who have been here for generations and live a scant few miles away in DC, Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania, to say nothing of the rest of the Union, cannot attend at these rates.

It passed with little opposition, so I can only conclude that most people simply do not care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 10:55 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Apparently in New York state illegal immigrants are a priority, but not American citizens:

New York Democrats Pass Bill to Fund College for Illegal Immigrants

https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/01/...al-immigrants/

This is so incredibly backwards and dumb.
Why do U.S. politicians hate U.S. citizens? It seems they favor foreigners over their own constituents.
If NY'ers keep voting for these idiots, they only have themselves to blame.
Either you all didn't read the article or once again you just believe the hype and don't bother to better inform yourself or reading comprehension is not a priority.

This not funding JUST for Dreamers (who have been deemed legal to live here --- you forgot that part-- they aren't legal residents but they have been told they can stay -- which makes them legal -- until the govt. figures it out.

It doesn't authorize funding all illegal residents.

It allows them to apply for it like citizens do.

It doesn't fund college for ALL illegal residents an deny legal residents funding.

That's why your title implies.

Many states already let Dreamers have access to funding if applicable.

If folks don't start making sure they have more information before they go off on a rant -- oh wait -- too late.

Look at our President once again talking about global warming....it's obvious he doesn't know, hasn't figured it out. He's not that bright. But it doesn't stop him from pretending.

Why should it stop others.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:58 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Actually you are correct:

https://money.cnn.com/2017/04/08/pf/...ion/index.html

I wasn't aware NY state had done this.
Still I don't think it's right to waste taxpayer dollars on foreigners.

NY is already a high tax state, I imagine they'll have to increase taxes even more to pay for the free tuition?
Im not for either free college or providing it to dreamers.

I would tackle the college problem but from a different angle and base aid as a forgiveness of student loans as a percent of income tax paid. I am not comfortable telling someone they cannot major in gender studies or such BUT under my idea, they have to make it work professionally.

I would also heavily rework county colleges and make the AS a stop on the road to a BS so that if someone is interrupted, many will at least have achieved their AS and can restart at the AS level, not from scratch.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:00 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
We have a variation of this in Maryland. Illegals are entitled to in-state tuition rates.

Of course folks who have been here for generations and live a scant few miles away in DC, Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania, to say nothing of the rest of the Union, cannot attend at these rates.

I guess you aren't aware that VA and W VA residents can get in-state rates in MD(and vice-versa). It's a regional discount which allows in-state rates or discount rates for out-of-state residents in these 13 states:
Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia

https://www.baltimoresun.com/busines...927-story.html

Old 01-29-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
In-state tuition rates are for state residents. This is because the state subsidizes tuition so it's cheaper for state residents. It's like this in every state and residents from other states pay a higher rate. Although someone can move from another state and become a resident to the new state, and then get in-state rate applies in the new state once the time period/rules are adhered to.

Are you complaining because MD doesn't give in-state rates to VA, DC, PA and W VA residents? They get discounts at their own public colleges.
No, I am noting the irony that an illegal can get in-state tuition whereas someone legal cannot.

IMHO opinion the illegals should not be here and certainly not get any benefits at all. But my fellow citizens of the Free State clearly disagree and that's that.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:09 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
No, I am noting the irony that an illegal can get in-state tuition whereas someone legal cannot.
Any state resident that meets state resident criteria is eligible to get in-state rates although not all states allow illegals to qualify. That is a state-by-state rule. States which allow illegals to qualify for in-state tuition do not give special privileges to illegals over citizens for in-state residency requirements.

Active US Military qualifies for in-state in every state regardless where they live.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:

IMHO opinion the illegals should not be here and certainly not get any benefits at all. But my fellow citizens of the Free State clearly disagree and that's that.
There is no irony.

Legal/and illegal residents have the same opportunities for in-state -- it is based on grades.

Get the grades get the funding.

Doesn't matter what you think...for now the Dreamers have been ALLOWED to stay. That was determined a while back and has not been changed.

Or are you saying that you are disappointed that Trump is not fulfilling what you thought was a campaign promise -- to get rid of all Dreamers?

Old 01-29-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There is no irony.

Legal/and illegal residents have the same opportunities for in-state -- it is based on grades.

Get the grades get the funding.

Doesn't matter what you think...for now the Dreamers have been ALLOWED to stay. That was determined a while back and has not been changed.

Or are you saying that you are disappointed that Trump is not fulfilling what you thought was a campaign promise -- to get rid of all Dreamers?
Well, firstly I did not vote for Trump and do not like him, so you can ....

Secondly, Maryland's policy is not aimed at Dreamers, but at all illegals. And that is who I am referencing.

Thirdly, there most certainly is irony in abundance.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Any state resident that meets state resident criteria is eligible to get in-state rates although not all states allow illegals to qualify. That is a state-by-state rule. States which allow illegals to qualify for in-state tuition do not give special privileges to illegals over citizens for in-state residency requirements.

Active US Military qualifies for in-state in every state regardless where they live.
Yes I know. I am talking about Maryland, where I live. And they most certainly are giving Illegals a benefit not available to citizens.

Now, I answered your questions. If you please, why are you so gung ho and financing people who are not even supposed to be in the country?

Old 01-29-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Well, firstly I did not vote for Trump and do not like him, so you can ....

Secondly, Maryland's policy is not aimed at Dreamers, but at all illegals. And that is who I am referencing.

Thirdly, there most certainly is irony in abundance.
You don't have to have voted for Trump to want him to deport the Dreamers.

AND --- you don't have to be a citizen to be able to apply for state funding.

Two of my three kids were not US citizens when they got their state scholarships (for good grades).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies