Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the Jussie Smollett Attack was a hoax ?
Yes 503 92.63%
No 41 7.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 543. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 10:49 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,501,904 times

Advertisements

Speaking as a die hard, bleeding heart, blue wave liberal, I had never heard of this guy or his TV show prior to this incident.
Yet it was immediately clear to anyone with a modicum of sense, that something was amiss with his story.

He immensely damaged our cause, damn him to hell forever. The subsequent rush to judgement was embarrassing and shameful.
On the upside, it's early enough to shake off the dust of those who jumped in so quickly to defend him. Bye.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:58 PM

7,712 posts, read 12,583,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Any non-right leaning subs on reddit either aren't talking about this or are barely talking about this or giving it attention now. Funny, because after it happened, the r/news post about it had tens of thousands of upvotes iirc, and people were discussing how horrible Trump and his supporters are for allowing this stuff to happen and egging it on, basically just a bunch of partisan crap, unsurprisingly. Where are they now? Basically silence from mainstream reddit. Hypocrites.

Apparently the one r/news thread about the latest developments was hidden, so doesn't show up on the main page. Do a search, as of now anyone can see there's nothing there from anything less than 12 hours ago, and that one has barely any interaction. Like 103 upvotes. The recent thread on r/lgbt has people denying the legitimacy of the blue check marked local news reporters' twitter feeds, calling them homophobic and right wing. People are in deep denial about what appears to be the truth here, and overall it's just not good. Not good that people won't be able to admit they were wrong, and unable to apologize for their assumptions and anything negative and divisive they said because of this story.

I am not a political person when it comes to this kind of stuff (tend to not see stories like this through an overall political lens but as individual instances even if they involve political claims), and politically am pretty independent and not a Trump supporter overall (though I do support some of his policies for sure), but the political angle taken on this story by many on the left is pretty obvious, and pathetic, has been from the start. Those on the right are using it already and will keep using it to their advantage, but I kind of blame them less than those on the left at this point, for this particular story.
That site is a joke. I would always go there to check what the younger leftist around my age were saying on current issues (because I like to stay informed on all sides) and it was so skewed to the point of ridiculousness. ANY breaking news story related to Trump was front page and well over 5000 comments. Any breaking news story that negatively impacted the Democrats or implicated any figure on the left almost never made front page despite being reported on all news networks at the immediate time. It would take hours before showing up on r/politics or r/world and then days later show up on the front page, well after media fervor had left. With a site like that, there's not even any point.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:58 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,734,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
This is not a hoax, although enough time has passed that LE can create a hoax story if they want. They would have released the surveillance video if it showed Smollett was in the wrong here. That is why I'm inclined to believe the video, at the very least, does not support the "hoax" theory. Jussie is a gay black man. Chicago is not friendly to gay black men, and Chicago is a city with a deeply racist past. They are downplaying all these obviously racist incidents across the nation because they do not want black people to rise up and start going HAM on white people. They also don't want to validate the very true idea that Trump is inciting racism and his base is largely made up of racists. Because racism died in the 60s, yanno.
Living in an alternate reality, are you? ... a copy of this one but the exact opposite?

Old 02-14-2019, 11:03 PM

7,712 posts, read 12,583,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I'm sure that's just part of the racist conspiracy against black men.

ETA: Holy cow, I thought I was being facetious. The guy actually beat me to the punch to assert EXACTLY THAT. When it comes to mocking the left, sometimes you just can't out-parody the real thing.

Well, it looks like Jussie found his audience.
Since Jussie was reportedly a no-show for the last interrogation, that's probably him posting. Or perhaps one of the associates from Weinstein's PR firm who Jussie hired days ago.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,933,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That site is a joke. I would always go there to check what the younger leftist around my age were saying on current issues (because I like to stay informed on all sides) and it was so skewed to the point of ridiculousness. ANY breaking news story related to Trump was front page and well over 5000 comments. Any breaking news story that negatively impacted the Democrats or implicated any figure on the left almost never made front page despite being reported on all news networks at the immediate time. It would take hours before showing up on r/politics or r/world and then days later show up on the front page, well after media fervor had left. With a site like that, there's not even any point.
Oh yeah, mainstream reddit is horrible. Incredibly biased. But it does show how many people drink the kool-aid and won't back down even when they're proven wrong. They just ignore it, don't address it ever again, or somehow deflect. It's a great place to go when stories like this are in the news because you can see the hypocrisy.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:13 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,414,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
...Because black men are rarely falsely accused of crimes? How convenient of them to arrest two Nigerians. Let's make it "black Americans vs. foreign-born blacks" instead of the "blacks vs. Whites", which is the (one-sided) rivalry this country was founded on. As if some extras are going to RUIN THEIR CAREER by attacking a star of the show. C'mon son.
Is being an "extra" a career?

Old 02-14-2019, 11:19 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,447,170 times
No, but since when do temps challenge FT employees and get away with it?

Old 02-14-2019, 11:51 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,414,993 times

Old 02-14-2019, 11:53 PM

6,546 posts, read 6,703,323 times
That right there is a high Nigerian priest. Got our man

On second look....it's Liam Neeson. Now it's making more sense.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 02-15-2019 at 12:26 AM..

Old 02-15-2019, 12:00 AM

30,223 posts, read 23,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
That image right there is why I love the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies