Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the Jussie Smollett Attack was a hoax ?
Yes 503 92.63%
No 41 7.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 543. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 08:59 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times

Advertisements

Robin Roberts has given up any journalistic credibility with her attempt to "explain" herself.

Roberts also said she felt pressure to represent the LGBT community during the sit-down. “I’m a black gay woman, he’s a black gay man,” she said. “He’s saying that there’s a hate crime, so if I’m too hard, then my LGBT community is going to say, ‘You don’t believe a brother,’ if I’m too light on him, it’s like, ‘Oh, because you are in the community, you’re giving him a pass.’”

Old 03-06-2019, 09:08 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Robin Roberts has given up any journalistic credibility with her attempt to "explain" herself.

Roberts also said she felt pressure to represent the LGBT community during the sit-down. “I’m a black gay woman, he’s a black gay man,” she said. “He’s saying that there’s a hate crime, so if I’m too hard, then my LGBT community is going to say, ‘You don’t believe a brother,’ if I’m too light on him, it’s like, ‘Oh, because you are in the community, you’re giving him a pass.’”
What she probably can't say is that her producer got the big interview but only after promising to use prepared softball questions.

In short, you give me a softball faux interview and I'll give you the ratings.

That's how a lot of these things work anymore and it's not that new of a phenomenon.

Heck, it's one of the ways to rise through the ranks and land all the "big" interviews....get a reputation for being less of an interviewer and more of an enabler for someone to put out their own message.

Barbara Walters was this way, although not as bad as the current crop.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
So Robin's defense of her lame interview was; I'm black and gay, and didn't want to let down my community. Well, that right there is a huge old problem. When, as a journalist, you put 'community' before truth you deserve every bit of criticism you get.
Yep. She's saying she cannot be objective, she has to answer to certain groups. That explains the softballs she was throwing his way.

And she justifies it with, 'people were asking how you could not know' but she 'didn't know what the brothers were saying at that point'. Either did we, yet somehow we had enough sense to know he was lying.

She was in a no-win situation and the comments were hurtful. Translation: She's a victim.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:54 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yep. She's saying she cannot be objective, she has to answer to certain groups. That explains the softballs she was throwing his way.

And she justifies it with, 'people were asking how you could not know' but she 'didn't know what the brothers were saying at that point'. Either did we, yet somehow we had enough sense to know he was lying.

She was in a no-win situation and the comments were hurtful. Translation: She's a victim.
You nailed it, she can’t be objective. She can no longer be known as a trusted journalist.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:20 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Enjoy:

https://twitter.com/w_terrence/statu...03731739516929

Old 03-06-2019, 07:56 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
no twitter bias there, uh-uh.

pretty funny video though.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:03 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Imo Jussie should not have even been given a media platform. The likely reason that he was is because there was a ton of speculation that it was a hoax, and that was a bad look for him and all the politicians, journalists/publications, celebs, whoever else blindly supported him due to identity politics and the divisive political atmosphere. People were practically salivating over this story, a perfect example of those violent deplorable Trump supporters. So when the investigation dragged and the police got quiet, and more speculation that it was all made up came along, he wanted to speak and the media wanted him to have a platform to prove that this really did happen and anyone saying otherwise is just _____ (fill it in - racist, a homophobe, whatever).

In reality, this story was ridiculous from the start, people all over the internet were calling it. But like I said, a lot of people wanted it to be real because it would fit their narrative. So they jumped on it and many looked like fools in the end. Imo the interview was an attempt for both Jussie and a lot of his supporters, including those in the media, to save face. Obviously it epically failed what, only days later?

This story is the perfect example of why everyone should wait before jumping to conclusions, especially on these types of stories (alleged politically motivated hate crimes, in today's horrible climate). Report only facts officially released by the PD. Make no assumptions. Don't blindly believe victims - don't jump to disbelieve them, either - but evaluate their story. Does it seem politically motivated, does it seem plausible, does the person who was allegedly attacked have injuries? The media and a lot of people out there have a lot to learn from this situation, and I only hope they did learn.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:32 AM

31,048 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Don’t forget the fact that these white MAGA goons are such big Empire fans that they recognized Jussie in his winter coat. Oh, and through the entire attack, he managed to hold onto his Subway sandwich.
Looking back at the original post, you guys were right from the beginning. There were a few of our usual hard core leftist that wanted to believe it with all their hearts, but most of the practical Dem posters called it as fake too. Just like the fake Covington story and the fake Native American Vietnam vet.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:15 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yeah, not much at all. Only a typical story of raving bands of red maga hat wearing white trump supporter goon squads roaming the streets of chicago during a polar vortex at 2 am using small strings to lynch gay african americans and using bleach to melt the black off, and then him opening the door for the cops with the strings still around his neck like a trophy. I mean this happens all the time.

Definitely added up
lol I know. It sounded crazy. I meant nothing to the contrary was known yet.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:44 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Imo Jussie should not have even been given a media platform. The likely reason that he was is because there was a ton of speculation that it was a hoax
Now now, you know better than that. He was given a media platform because the left is desperately looking for affirmation that anyone supporting Trump is racist and gay-bashing, that's the bottom line. The reality is that number is probably less than 5% but that doesn't fit into their narrative so anything, anything at all they can use to push that world view is going to be exploited
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies