Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the Jussie Smollett Attack was a hoax ?
Yes 503 92.63%
No 41 7.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 543. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 08:56 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times

Advertisements

Well, unless something substantive turns up it looks like this one is turning into one big *shrug*.

At this time there is no one to charge and no proof that this was even a hate crime as it could be a disguised robbery or other situation.

Not sharing the cell phone has me more than a little suspicious. If you're putting yourself forward as some sort of gay figure but not fully helping with an investigation then the assailants are a threat to keep doing it to others.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:56 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Your thread title indicates that you think he is lying. Why? I could say Trump supposedly got elected, as well.
my thread title indicates that it has not been established that he was attacked by trump supporters.
prove otherwise.

Quote:
ok, images. now i'm convinced

Old 01-31-2019, 08:57 AM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Did you see the stills of the possible persons of interest? You can't tell if someone is on the phone or not. You can't even tell if someone has managed to put a MAGA hat on over a ski mask.

Stop listening to the fifty versions being fed to us by the media and stick to the statements made by the cops.

Not the person of interest. I'm talking about Smollett. The police have said they have video of him walking around. Conceivably at some point they would see a video where Smollett is on the phone.

But yeah..I agree on waiting for the police. They obviously know a lot more than has been reported to the media.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:00 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Not the person of interest. I'm talking about Smollett. The police have said they have video of him walking around. Conceivably at some point they would see a video where Smollett is on the phone.
I know who you're talking about. MY point is if you look at the stills of the two guys you'll see they aren't that clear. I doubt they'd be able to tell he was on the phone - but even if they could - that wouldn't prove that he was on the phone a) with his manager or b) still on the phone at the time of the attack.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:01 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, unless something substantive turns up it looks like this one is turning into one big *shrug*.

At this time there is no one to charge and no proof that this was even a hate crime as it could be a disguised robbery or other situation.

Not sharing the cell phone has me more than a little suspicious. If you're putting yourself forward as some sort of gay figure but not fully helping with an investigation then the assailants are a threat to keep doing it to others.
In fairness to him, he did not want to report it. His manager is the one that reported it.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:05 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Your thread title indicates that you think he is lying. Why? Moderator cut: off topic

The police have put out images.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...130-story.html
The RW wanting desperately to believe their version of events.

Gay, black males are absolutely are often targets of attack. For that matter, gay white males don't go unnoticed either

Old 01-31-2019, 09:05 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Not sharing the cell phone has me more than a little suspicious.
Who would hand their phone to investigators by choice- with all their photos, contacts, syncs to email, financial information, logins, apps and favorites. They could be without the phone for days or weeks. Plus there's the loss of privacy regarding everything on that phone.

The privacy issues is different for a famous person who knows other famous people. If their phone#s or emails are leaked, they'd have to change their tel#s. Who wants that. Personal photos is another can of worms. Nobody wants that leaked.

Police can get phone records from the phone company regarding phone calls and times. They can get this for both of the people that said they were on the phone.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:13 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Looks like the manager refused to hand over phone as well. https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1091000155124297728

Old 01-31-2019, 09:14 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,137 times
Since there has been an uptick in hate crimes, the allegations need to be investigated and taken seriously. I hope he is doing well.

Quote:
Last year, the FBI said there was a 17 percent increase in hate crimes in 2017 — the third consecutive year such crimes increased. Of the 7,175 hate crimes reported by United States law enforcement agencies, 2,013 incidents targeted black Americans. 1,130 hate crimes involved people who were targeted based on their sexual orientation.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...=.206b8a880805

Old 01-31-2019, 09:15 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Who would hand their phone to investigators by choice- with all their photos, contacts, syncs to email, financial information, logins, apps and favorites. They could be without the phone for days or weeks. Plus there's the loss of privacy regarding everything on that phone.

The privacy issues is different for a famous person who knows other famous people. If their phone#s or emails are leaked, they'd have to change their tel#s. Who wants that. Personal photos is another can of worms. Nobody wants that leaked.

Police can get phone records from the phone company regarding phone calls and times. They can get this for both of the people that said they were on the phone.
If I was severely beaten, had a noose around my neck, bleach all over me, had a threatening letter sent to me, the last thing I'd be thinking is "oh no! my pics & contacts!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies