Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the Jussie Smollett Attack was a hoax ?
Yes 503 92.63%
No 41 7.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 543. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:39 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It's not evidence of anything. The call wasn't recorded. I don't see why the police would be interested to obtain something that is not evidence.
Establishes the exact time of the attack thus it is evidence.

Imagine going into court and saying that you just took the persons word for it and didn't verify against cell phone records? Defense is going to eat you alive.

If you don't have actual video of the attack, then placing people on other video in the area at the time is how you rule them out (or not).

If you think about it, failure to provide this is frankly the first real pause for me in this case.

I don't feel it was an accidental encounter, but that doesn't mean he wasn't assaulted.

Now both he and his manager after making statements, don't want to hand over their phone records. It's not a good look in a serious case like this.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:40 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Correct. So the police are better off getting records from the phone company anyway. It shows the official dates/times/tel#s. Nobody wants to hand over their phone.

you need a court order for that and they will get to that....but when the story doesn't add up investigators will ask things to the accuser or a witness to see their reaction and if they change their story.

this is police work 101.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:44 AM

18,559 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Do people not know this stuff is all online and in the cloud? You don't need the phone to check.
You also don't need the cloud if the witness just shows you the record of the call.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:50 AM

5,335 posts, read 4,423,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Since there has been an uptick in hate crimes, the allegations need to be investigated and taken seriously. I hope he is doing well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...=.206b8a880805
Of course he's doing well. He has a concert in West Hollywood this Sat (Feb 2) and is still planning to be there.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:52 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
LOL, do people really think cops just raise their hands and pull data out of a cloud?

Forget Police work 101 - I thought this was all common knowledge / common sense 101.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:57 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The whole story seems more and more unbelievable by the minute, but in fairness, reading this thread, it seems that it may have been his manager who may have been the one that initiated the reporting of all this (rather than the victim initially), so who knows what is really going on???

The thing I'm most surprised about is how much media attention it is getting. He was barely hurt enough to even want medical care, and he is a minor actor that hardly anyone knew before this incident. If the incident really happened, then it is horrible. But the fact that there was no major injury (most important) and it is not even a well-known actor, makes you wonder why this is getting so much press???
I agree with you. I think the manager is the one who created this bs story. I don't know if anything happened, or maybe it was something embarrassing, or maybe 2 people did attack him because they knew who he was and don't like gay people, or maybe the entire thing is made up - but the story that is out there now is complete bs.

I asked this very early on: Why this guy? What makes him so special? If the 2 people are walking around in a neighborhood that is known to have gay people in it, why would they wait until 2am in the freezing cold to decide to attack a gay person? And I'm sure Chicago has more than one gay black person in it. A random attack by people who would know exactly who Smollett is - plausible. An attack by a bunch of racists shouting "This is MAGA country" (seriously, people, no one says this) complete with rope and bleach who happen to know some B list actor on a show that they would never watch, and then after putting a "noose" around a black man, that black man keeps it around his neck for the next 40+ minutes? I'm just saying that someone thinks people are dumb enough to fall for this story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
The temps were freezing, and this person wants us to believe that she could see rope "under his sweatshirt"? A sweatshirt? I don't care if the person was only going outside to smoke a cigarette, if it's that cold outside, you don't go out with just a sweatshirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Lied about the police having video tracking most of Smolletts movement as reported in the ABC7 article?

https://abc7chicago.com/amp/photos-s...mpression=true
Quote:
My understanding based on the ABC7 reporter is that the police have pieced together video of him walking most of the route with some minor gaps. No video of an attack..but in theory they would have some video of him at least being on the phone at some point. Obviously not a substitute for phone records..but it should at least give the police something to help verify the phone call claim.

Quote:
Not the person of interest. I'm talking about Smollett. The police have said they have video of him walking around. Conceivably at some point they would see a video where Smollett is on the phone.

But yeah..I agree on waiting for the police. They obviously know a lot more than has been reported to the media.
Wait for the police spokesman to say anything - that's where I choose to get my news, not from media who lies, or attempts to manipulate the audience into thinking one way by not finishing the sentence or revealing all of the information that they have.

Almost a decade ago, the population of the entire Chicago-Joilet-Naperville area was 9.5 million people - what are the odds that 2 people would be walking down a street in the area this guy was in. I think they are all fools and should have been indoors - it's like Smollett has never heard of delivery...he's not poor.

He could have easily had food delivered after a ride home from the airport. It was late. He had just been traveling. Maybe he travels extremely lightly and carries no bags - but still, if it's that late, and it's that cold, what reasonable person would say, "I think I'll go for a walk and get some Subway. It's a good mile away from this airport, but whatevs."

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
If I was severely beaten, had a noose around my neck, bleach all over me, had a threatening letter sent to me, the last thing I'd be thinking is "oh no! my pics & contacts!".
I tend to agree with this. You don't need the call to be recorded, you just need the time of the call. That's easily verified by just taking out your phone and showing that to the cops without handing the phone over at all. If he didn't trust the cops, it's possible to just go online and obtain your own call records, at least with some phone companies - and i know that for a fact - especially one of the biggest phone companies out there. You can easily go online to your own account and get your own phone records that show the time of incoming and outgoing calls and the numbers that were called or that you received calls from. You don't even have to hand over your phone. Why not at least do that?

Old 01-31-2019, 09:58 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Probably because the alleged victim reported to police that he had been the subject of alleged homophobic abuse.
All in his head.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:00 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
They're responsible for checking the truthfulness and accuracy of what's being told to them. It's simple - you hold the phone and show the details of the call that have the number, date and time and length of call - and you put your phone back in your pocket.

We're not talking about handing over your phone so they can read every email and text message here.
Police wanted them to hand over their PHONES to the police.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...ntry-on-phone/

...detectives are unable to "independently verify" the call occurred because Smollett refused to turn over his phone.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:02 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
So we are clear, this woman claims she saw a man that was dressed for winter, and a beard makes him a redneck? She also claims he had a rope coming off his clothing, like a drawstring for a hood? Seems legit to me.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:03 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
So we are clear, this woman claims she saw a man that was dressed for winter, and a beard makes him a redneck? She also claims he had a rope coming off his clothing, like a drawstring for a hood? Seems legit to me.
sure. totally believable.

https://twitter.com/michellemalkin/s...ring-normal%2F
Michelle Malkin Retweeted Rob Elgas

Quote:
Another bizarro detail overnight via @RobElgasABC7 - condo surveillance video shows Smollett walking past security to the elevator. Without telling them he had just been attacked by thugs who "beat the hell out of him" and "broke his ribs" acc. to @TMZ ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies