Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 06:53 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
This woman was a first-class female dog! This woman is making a such BIG deal!
Apparently not. She was a coach-class female dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 07:21 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
Anywhere else that is assault and considered a crime.

FAA should either force some bigger seats or at check in you get measured and if too fat you don't fly.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:24 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I flew a couple times in the last couple days - took a bunch of uBers too.

Let me clue those who may be doubtful into something. In general, the American Public (including those with accents, other languages, different color skin) is nothing short of amazing.

In the Airports the public was praising the TSA workers even as they were making them do some "intrusive" things....saying things like "I know what you are going through so I'm not about to complain"...to the TSA workers and asking them when they are going to get their paychecks.

Among the uBer drivers were one dude who comes from Austria (born near the Alps) whose Uncle was FORCED into the SS, but whose father fought in WWII and Korea...and he was in Vietnam.

The next driver was from Brazil....except, since we had a one hour ride, I found out that he had married a Californian (in CA.) lived in CA. and Hawaii (now Tampa) but, took the 23&me tests and found out he is 75% Italian. He has done over 1500 Uber rides and is actually making money (bought a Prius with 100K miles and it now is perfect at 200K).....

These are among the immigrants that some people here so rant about.

We are all one. Many of us learned that decades ago but DNA has now given up any excuse to claim otherwise. Why not just be nice? The only reason would be a mental illness (anger problems of sorts) rooted in ignorance.

Assuming any deplorables are reading this, if you wanted to change the first thing is to lose every bookmark, every radio preset and stop watching the news. If you can't do that there is little hope.

I've been online since 1986 (Compuserve) and it was as hard for me as anyone. Sometime about a decade ago I erased my Drudge bookmark and haven't been back since.

Not to pay myself on the back, but I wonder if others can disipline themselves so and stick to it? It's like a diet....easy to think or talk about, but very hard to do.

BTW, if we are not going to be totally PC, I "get it" 100% about certain airline things.....

1. Extremely wide people.....planes need to have special rows for those over 250lbs.
Wifey and I joke about the arm rests...you are not allowed to even have your spare tire hanging anywhere above the mid-point of the in-between arm rest!
2. Extremely smelly people....of BO or booze or even those who used to pull out nail polish.
3. Pet policy abusers (airlines seem to be fixing this)...

You say to be nice, but in the same breath refer to Trump supporters as "deplorables"?

PS- All those in the SS were volunteers. In an effort to explain the pact activities of relatives, many other have stated that family members were conscripted into the SS- it was all volunteer.

I fly twice a month. If one wants to avoid bad seats, get a first class seat. Further, if it is that terrible, go the rear of the plane and sit in one of the unoccupied seats used by the flight crew. If coach, always get an isle seat- they can only infiltrate one side of your seat.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:22 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
You say to be nice, but in the same breath refer to Trump supporters as "deplorables"?

PS- All those in the SS were volunteers. In an effort to explain the pact activities of relatives, many other have stated that family members were conscripted into the SS- it was all volunteer.
PS2 - the guy explained....not conscripted, but basically "you come and join or...see the rest of your family here". And he was young and only his mother and his sister were in the home with him. He detailed the situation - three times the SS came and were very nice and tried to recruit him. No go. The 4th time the Gestapo came. Everyone knew what that meant. Nuances my man, nuances.
"Towards the end of the war, considerable numbers of youths were conscripted into the SS whether they liked it or not."
"The foreigners who served in the Waffen-SS numbered "some 500,000", including those who were pressured into service or conscripted."

So, yeah, he "volunteered" just like so many in history...apparently.
We all learn new things each day - I learned yesterday and you learned today (hopefully).

"Deplorables" is shorthand for exactly what the thread title refers to - that is, being proud of being as non-Civil (also called "not politically correct") as possible. You know, like Ann Coulter, Rushbo and all the heroes that these deplorable honor and parrot.
"Definition of deplorable
1 : deserving censure or contempt
deplorable behavior"

And even with that - you won't find me telling a deplorable on a plane that they are a deplorable. Call it civic, nice or politically correct, but I wasn't raised to find enjoyment in being deplorable.

BTW, back to the SS thing, his Uncle was - of course - put in an internment camp after the war for about 16 months until they (Americans, etc.) checked out his story and record and then he was released with no stains on his record (except perhaps the tattoo.

Now, one could claim that some innocent youth in the deep Alps of Austria should have known better than wanting to allow his sister and mother to live, but that is a value judgement.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:00 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Why would the writer of the article write the following?

"It is unknown if the woman eventually did receive another seat or if the passengers who were the target of her hatred received any type of apology or compensation from the airline. United Airlines did not immediately respond to Yahoo Lifestyle’s requests for comment." (Quote from article, my italics)

Why should an airline be responsible for what one passenger said to another?
They shouldn't be. The airlines shouldn't apologize for this. They did not cause the argument and they did their best to try and alleviate the situation.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:01 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Wow..what a horrible human being that lady is in the middle seat. What ever happened to basic human decency?

Old 01-29-2019, 09:02 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
They shouldn't be. The airlines shouldn't apologize for this. They did not cause the argument and they did their best to try and alleviate the situation.
Agreed.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:04 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Yahoolifestyle runs these non stories all the time. It’s click bait.

What would you expect from a bunch of Yahoos?

Old 01-29-2019, 09:10 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
At no point did the poster to whom you refer, mention anything about those Deplorables being Trump supporters. You are the one who made that association.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:12 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,219,897 times
Fat asses should have to buy extra seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies