Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 11:19 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
They work to earn their keep.
Well the system in place now is; everyone who works is taxed to provide your child with an inferior education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 11:19 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Can you imagine education being more affordable once there are choices and competition?
Can you imagine people with more money to spend on education once they are no longer being taxed for the govt's inferior product?
Can you imagine other methods or mediums of education outside of the govt school as prison model?
Can you imagine schools offering scholarships and hardship programs?
Can you imagine yourself helping to sponsor the education of others at schools you believe in?
Im sure there are other ways to address, but this is off the top of my head
No. No one can imagine that because it doesn't not exist anywhere.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:21 AM

193 posts, read 69,160 times
Personally I think schools should be privatized, public schools are all garbage. I have never sent any of my children to public schools and never plan to. Privatizing the educational system would allow more control over lesson plans, lower the cost of tuition and improve school performance as the schools would be forced to compete with each other and on top of that the state would be off the hook for funding the schools. Tax payers would not be paying for the education therefore people would not be able to complain about what certain schools are or aren't teaching kids. If you don't like the school your children are in you would be able to choose a school that works for you and if you don't have kids then you wouldn't be paying anything into it anyway thus it would really not be your concern about what is or is not being taught...problem solved and we wouldn't have to keep having this debate about religion being taught in school or demonic drag queens reading to kindergartners. You could pick your child's school based on your own values vs being force fed whatever the school wants because you are trapped in the school district and tuition for private schools is to expensive, just my opinion as a parent though.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:27 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Can you imagine education being more affordable once there are choices and competition?
Can you imagine people with more money to spend on education once they are no longer being taxed for the govt's inferior product?
Can you imagine other methods or mediums of education outside of the govt school as prison model?
Can you imagine schools offering scholarships and hardship programs?
Can you imagine yourself helping to sponsor the education of others at schools you believe in?
Im sure there are other ways to address, but this is off the top of my head
Lots of wishful thinking here if you ask me, something like imagining all people living in harmony, never mind the assumptions your perspective seems built upon, but I for one am thankful for the public education I received and that my kids received, so at least that government product was in no way "inferior" far as I'm concerned, just for starters...

Old 01-30-2019, 11:28 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times
You want to see true Snowflake outrage, allow religion into schools. It would be amazing and in a dark comedy way hilarious. Just for fun take a look at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._denominations

Christians have killed other Christians for small variances or differences in how they practice. How the heck do you get past all that crap because its not like people want to compromise when it comes to religion. And what happens if a school is dominated by Islamic religious families. Do you teach them Christianity, is that legal? Would you reverse it and teach Islam to the few Christian kids in the minority.

Supporting religion in school is a direct vote for Anarchy in schools.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:37 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Lots of wishful thinking here if you ask me, something like imagining all people living in harmony, never mind the assumptions your perspective seems built upon, but I for one am thankful for the public education I received and that my kids received, so at least that government product was in no way "inferior" far as I'm concerned, just for starters...
Wishful thinking? lol many of the alternatives listed already exist. And no people dont live in harmony, people dont share the same beliefs, people dont have the same values and people dont have the same ideas on what an education even is, so why dont you let people make their own choices. If you want your govt education, you can keep your govt education, just stop charging those who want out and let them go.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:51 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I disagree, very strongly disagree.

Wanting to avoid comments that go a little too long, to no productive end, I'll simply point out the criteria you rightly require, to "prove and test your theory" is NOT applied or even appreciated when it comes religion and/or the theory of Creation (perhaps with the exception of Buddhism).

If you would like to read more about this, to learn just how altogether opposite religion and science can be in these regards, read the book "A Brief History of Creation" by Bill Mesler and H. James Cleaves II. Not only very informative along these lines but fascinating non-fiction in my opinion.
Wrong on this account. Apple's to oranges.

You tell me which one has been sanctioned from being in the class.

Religious practices.
Hyperbole disguised as science.

Last I checked... separation of church and state... public schooling is a subsidiary of the state...
Last I checked... .gov wasn't pushing faith as unquestionable and end all be all... but man made global warming was.
Need I go on?

But we can indoctrinate kids-teens to feel. And double down on it by regurgitating a hypothesis as settled science and as fact... so much for the scientific method.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:54 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...atives/581593/

It's an interesting dichotomy. Republicans are so enthusiastic about the possibility of "bringing God back to public schools" through state-sanctioned prayer and Bible studies. Yet, the same people are in a constant battle against the public school system over the teaching of science (evolution, climate change) and sex education. Do you really trust the public school system to teach the Bible properly? Why or why not?
First "Republicans" are not enthusiastic about state sanctioned prayer and bible studies in public schools.
Are there some, sure. Should I say Democrats are so enthusiastic about allowing abortions all the way birth because some democrats proposed a bill. Who are these people you speak of?
This bill does not propose to teach religion but the bible in historical context. I dont see how the public school system could fudge that up any worse that say world history or American history.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:55 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Wishful thinking? lol many of the alternatives listed already exist. And no people dont live in harmony, people dont share the same beliefs, people dont have the same values and people dont have the same ideas on what an education even is, so why dont you let people make their own choices. If you want your govt education, you can keep your govt education, just stop charging those who want out and let them go.
Frank... you're corresponding with someone who is for big government...
In big government there is NO competitiveness for a share of the market place. You and I know this. Most conservatives know this...

Rather drafted reasons for taxation and regulation to act as a double edged sword to protect one corporations interest by way of lobbyists.

There's a reason I can't bring to market vehicles to compete with Ford GM Mopar Honda Toyota Nissan Kia etc.

Same regulations that tend to smarts a little for those big corporations also protect them from me bringing to market affordable reliable simistic modes of transportation...

Old 01-30-2019, 12:01 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
What might exist doesn't necessarily mean successfully, especially when we consider how well our education system works for Americans as a whole, public and/or private.

What I meant by "lots of wishful thinking" is what you seem to be thinking is recipe for a better education system for all Americans generally speaking.

Needless to say, it's just not as simple as you want to think and this notion of everyone doing whatever they choose has appeal on it's face but doesn't work so well from a practical standpoint, or we would have a much easier time simply going that route.

Too complicated to explain in a simple comment, but it's really more an actuarial issue. The fact that everyone has different values and ideas like you explain is also a significant challenge when it comes to utilizing our "economies of scale" to provide the best education system possible.

Should we require every child attend high school, for example? Why or why not?

If people want to home school their children and adhere to no education standards outside their own, should they be allowed? Why or why not?

If the thinking is that everyone should be free to do whatever they want and government get out of the business of education and such, we are talking about going backwards in time. Been there done that, and the many failures and shortcomings in the past are in large part why we are where we are today. Most people think in terms of going forward, making progress, and although there have been many ongoing efforts to improve on our education system that don't always prove as successful as we would like, public education is not the enemy.

"Careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water" sort of thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies