Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 09:37 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,602,128 times

Advertisements

Listen to today's "Stay Tuned with Preet" podcast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 11:00 PM

13,248 posts, read 21,872,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Correct. I had old data. A constant mantra from the financial media that "Amazon doesn't turn a profit". See how that works?
No, I don't "see how that works". Spouting out-of-date data is entirely on you. Take some responsibility.

Quote:
I've never purchased or sold anything from there, but everyone I know who had a Prime membership has let theirs go. They tell me it's not like it used to be. LOL, that's what happens when a company has to turn a profit. Things change.
Prime has always included free 2-day delivery. Other than charging a bit more for optional overnight delivery, the service is the same as it's always been. Apparently you have bad data again.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:45 AM

7,602 posts, read 4,181,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
So now reports are the Sanchez’s brother is the one who got the photos and sold to NE/AMI and supposedly he has sold them stories for years
About others
I thought this was reported some time ago. This went from Sanchez's brother to some back door hack that all phones provide the FBI back to Sanchez's brother.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:29 AM

989 posts, read 457,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
No, I don't "see how that works". Spouting out-of-date data is entirely on you. Take some responsibility.

Prime has always included free 2-day delivery. Other than charging a bit more for optional overnight delivery, the service is the same as it's always been. Apparently you have bad data again.
I have Prime myself for about 6 years and it *had* degraded a bit. Prime always had 2-day delivery and, at first, it actually did deliver 2 days from when I hit my order button, consistently. That has slid a bit and now I will often have Prime items taking 5 days. It's not due to shipping slippages, but ordering issues. I think this has occurred as Amazon has expanded it's suppliers. If I order something that is carried by Amazon itself or Amazon "fulfillment" I will generally have it the next day or by Day 2. If I order something from any other Prime supplier, the clock doesn't start ticking for 2 day shipment until that seller fills the order. So what I though I might get in 2 days can take 2 weeks. Usually Amazon is somewhat clear on this before you submit the order, but sometimes not. The good news is that if I don't like the delivery date I get after I order, I can quickly cancel it.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:35 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
I have Prime myself for about 6 years and it *had* degraded a bit. Prime always had 2-day delivery and, at first, it actually did deliver 2 days from when I hit my order button, consistently. That has slid a bit and now I will often have Prime items taking 5 days. It's not due to shipping slippages, but ordering issues. I think this has occurred as Amazon has expanded it's suppliers. If I order something that is carried by Amazon itself or Amazon "fulfillment" I will generally have it the next day or by Day 2. If I order something from any other Prime supplier, the clock doesn't start ticking for 2 day shipment until that seller fills the order. So what I though I might get in 2 days can take 2 weeks. Usually Amazon is somewhat clear on this before you submit the order, but sometimes not. The good news is that if I don't like the delivery date I get after I order, I can quickly cancel it.
What are the benefits of Prime, other than swift delivery? I heard something about movies and streaming video. As I said, I don't shop on Amazon, someone gave me a gift card once and I found the site so confusing with too much information to sort through, I just gave up and passed it on to someone else. Does the membership fee make sense financially? One comment I got from an acquaintance is that he doesn't use Amazon enough to make the fee pay off. Another one said he'd been through all the content that he was interested in and as for the other movies and shows, there wasn't anything that he couldn't find somewhere else.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:50 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,485,679 times
Quote:
What are the benefits of Prime, other than swift delivery?
I use it primarily for the movies and some of the shows.

I don't get all excited about the latest films ( for example I just cancelled my free trial of Netflix), I usually poke around for some documentary on one or another of my favorite subjects. I don't have cable TV, just an internet connection, and I want to keep the expense down as much as possible. I was thinking of subscribing to the additional Smithsonian channel, that should be nice

I do order products from Amazon when the price is clearly competitive, but I almost never need two day shipping. I will take it if I really need it fast since it is part of the Prime deal (I just received new badly needed wiper blades for my car) but I almost always check the box giving them an extra amount of time to deliver and they give me $1.00 credit on video rentals, which (as it happens) I also don't need, I have never redeemed one ...

Old 02-12-2019, 08:52 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,485,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Listen to today's "Stay Tuned with Preet" podcast.
Thanks for the heads up. I subscribe, but have not listened in days.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:52 AM

989 posts, read 457,993 times
Quote:
What are the benefits of Prime, other than swift delivery? I heard something about movies and streaming video. As I said, I don't shop on Amazon, someone gave me a gift card once and I found the site so confusing with too much information to sort through, I just gave up and passed it on to someone else. Does the membership fee make sense financially? One comment I got from an acquaintance is that he doesn't use Amazon enough to make the fee pay off. Another one said he'd been through all the content that he was interested in and as for the other movies and shows, there wasn't anything that he couldn't find somewhere else.
We have 4 people on my account that order quite a bit online. My kids live in the city and don't have a lot of shops so many of their essentials are ordered through Prime. Shipping is fast and the cost of shipping is included as part of your fee.

I use the Prime Video streaming and watch several shows. I also will generally get a few free books a year if I like what they are offering on Prime reading. During the holidays, I did a lot of online ordering. I would say the membership more than paid for itself, but there probably will come a time where I don't really think it will be worth the expense.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I use it primarily for the movies and some of the shows.

I don't get all excited about the latest films ( for example I just cancelled my free trial of Netflix), I usually poke around for some documentary on one or another of my favorite subjects. I don't have cable TV, just an internet connection, and I want to keep the expense down as much as possible. I was thinking of subscribing to the additional Smithsonian channel, that should be nice

I do order products from Amazon when the price is clearly competitive, but I almost never need two day shipping. I will take it if I really need it fast since it is part of the Prime deal (I just received new badly needed wiper blades for my car) but I almost always check the box giving them an extra amount of time to deliver and they give me $1.00 credit on video rentals, which (as it happens) I also don't need, I have never redeemed one ...
Thanks, Hesy, I like a good documentary myself. We have cable, but just a bare-bones service we are forced into paying by our HOA. It's sort of a nuisance fee. Otherwise, we watch a lot of YT and free online movie and entertainment channels.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
We have 4 people on my account that order quite a bit online. My kids live in the city and don't have a lot of shops so many of their essentials are ordered through Prime. Shipping is fast and the cost of shipping is included as part of your fee.

I use the Prime Video streaming and watch several shows. I also will generally get a few free books a year if I like what they are offering on Prime reading. During the holidays, I did a lot of online ordering. I would say the membership more than paid for itself, but there probably will come a time where I don't really think it will be worth the expense.
I can totally see why it would make sense for you. Thanks for laying all that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies