Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 07:42 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
"A man should keep his zipper closed."

***APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE!***

"A woman should keep her legs closed."

***HOW DARE YOU?!?! MISOGYNY! BURKAS!!!***

Where in this thread has anyone said this?

The thread is about men, so most people are saying how men can keep from getting a woman pregnant. It's called personal responsibly for your own actions. I would gather to guess that the folks here saying men should exercise protection also think women should too. I know I do. I don't care if you are male or female, if you can't protect yourself, don't have sex (or accept the consequences).

Honestly, I am more worried about STDs than a woman getting pregnant. If nothing else, men should think of that too if not more so. Unintended pregnancy is at an all time low while STDs are on the rise and some are getting more drug resistant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 07:45 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider07 View Post
This is interesting. As a guy, I would never abandon my responsibilities. Not even a thought or question for me. However, what if in my younger days, I had gotten some young lady pregnant, and she did not want the baby, but I did. As the man, i would not have any say in the matter, she could legally have an abortion against my wishes, even if I was offering to take the baby and raise the child without any help from her or her family.

I find it funny that some people say men have no say over what a woman does with her body but he is the one on the hook for paying for the child, whether he wants it or not, if she decides to keep it, but has no say in whether the baby is kept or not.

I am not expert on abortion laws, so, if a couple is married, does it give the man more of a right to stop an abortion?
I know of many cases where the woman decided to abort and the guy wanted to keep it. But, way more where the guy ended up paying for a child he didn't want.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:48 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Sounds like something to consider. Complicated issues.....

BUT, taking a situation where the mother is clear that she cannot take care (financial or emotional or both) of the child and wants to terminate...and the father does not, the fathers rights MIGHT include the ability to somehow "bond" (fork up money, signatures, and promises) 100's of thousands of dollars and agree to garnish his wages, etc. if needed to support said child IF the Mother agrees to childbirth.

IMHO, tho, the Mother has the first say because it is her body that would be racked by the childbirth (throughout history it has been one of the largest killers of women...just the act and what it does to the body).

I can vouch that sperm donation doesn't hurt the other party.

The world cannot run on BS promises...i.e. the man saying "yeah, I'll be a man". Most men who say that.....aren't.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
This is a very unlikely case but here is where a man could opt: If he is drunk/drugged and the woman rapes him to the point where she gets impregnated. Now, whether or not that man feels a moral obligation to care for the child is on him.
Yeah, a lot of that going on.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:56 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Where in this thread has anyone said this?

The thread is about men, so most people are saying how men can keep from getting a woman pregnant. It's called personal responsibly for your own actions. I would gather to guess that the folks here saying men should exercise protection also think women should too. I know I do. I don't care if you are male or female, if you can't protect yourself, don't have sex (or accept the consequences).

Honestly, I am more worried about STDs than a woman getting pregnant. If nothing else, men should think of that too if not more so. Unintended pregnancy is at an all time low while STDs are on the rise and some are getting more drug resistant.
It's about parental rights more broadly and it always breaks down to "men should keep their pants zipped" and anyone who suggests the same of women gets pilloried. Go ahead find a thread specifically about women's reproductive issues and suggest women should keep their legs closed and see what kind of reaction you get.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:59 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Any man worried about being saddled with child support after a night of unprotected sex should mind their sperm better. I bet 90 percent of men never use birth control. Men should be a bit more particular with who they sleep with make sure your partner wants same thing your concerns will be few
THIS^^^

I also think it's unfair that males can be forced into parenthood while females cannot; they may choose to terminate.

However, due to that unfairness any male who doesn't take his own precautions is a fool.

Both of my unmarried daughters have IUDs but one of them has a BF who STILL insists on using a condom. He is a responsible young man.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Any man worried about being saddled with child support after a night of unprotected sex should mind their sperm better. I bet 90 percent of men never use birth control. Men should be a bit more particular with who they sleep with make sure your partner wants same thing your concerns will be few
Both parties could take responsibility.

Both parties could be more particular with who they sleep with.

Most “ accidental “ pregnacies are the result of neither party taking responsibility for birth control.

The US government is not going to allow children to starve due to their bio parents lack of responsibility. The courts wants to know who the bio father is as a condition of a welfare benefit. And they will pursue court- ordered child support.

Some women claim not to know and do so to protect the sperm donor and in some case their own hopeful romantic fantasies.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:08 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Why can't consenting adults sort this out on their own without the government?
Repeating question, since it seems it got forgotten or ignored.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:11 AM

702 posts, read 540,346 times
No non-custodial parent should be forced to pay child support. It's insane, arcane, abusive, and corrosive. It leads to huge amounts of resentment on both sides: the custodial parent doesn't think the non-custodial parent is doing enough, and the non-custodial parent feels like they're being treated unfairly.

So what should happen? All parents, whether married or single, biological, adoptive, or foster, should indeed get "child support", but they should get it from the state.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:13 AM

702 posts, read 540,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Repeating question, since it seems it got forgotten or ignored.

That's how it used to be. And women would get pregnant, the man would leave, and the woman would be left to raise the child in poverty. I don't agree with the system that replaced it, but the old way was absolutely intolerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies