Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 06:04 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
She ain't entirely wrong... Trump's rise to power was God's giant 'smirk' at the Illiberal Left!
I see Sarah isn't the only person trump has driven mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 06:22 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
I find it funny that Trump's wall will be isolating a Catholic Chapel that has been operating since the 1830's.

The parish is fighting the illegal stealing of the property with the use of eminent domain.

I do not think God believes in the stealing of property.

Trump being a real estate guy is of course all in favor of stealing.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:37 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
I'm not sure that God wanted Trump to be president but I can tell you this: it seems like God didn't want Hillary to be president. She was all set to be the nominee in 2008 -- then along comes Barak Obama out of nowhere to take that away from her, and then 2016 she looks like a shoo-in, they rig the democratic primary - they give her answers to debate questions - the media is in the tank for her, almost all of the newspapers endorse her - all of the polls say she's going to win easily.... and she loses.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:24 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Poor "progressive" Democrats.

They also hate people who believe in God unless they call him Allah. Make fun of people who express their faith.

Must be a miserable way to live on a daily basis.

(of course AME Zion churches are to be excepted)
I would normally never respond to you because you're a troll and based on what you post, you think I'm a literal demon from hell and should be executed in public because I'm a Democrat.

But - you bring up an interesting point.

I am a progressive Democrat and an atheist. I don't hate people who believe in a god, any god. I have an equally dim view of all religions.

But you are absolutely right that it is easier to be vocally opposed to Christian denominations than to others. Christianity is not tied to race or ethnicity the way that Islam or Hinduism or Judaism is, so you don't run the risk of people thinking you're racist if you criticize a different religion. If I express a negative opinion of Islam, I'm probably going to be called an Islamaphobe by my progressive brethren, even if the basis of my opinion is that I think all religions are inherently malignant.

And because it's the dominant religion in this country, Christianity tends to be much more "in your face." I've never had any group other than Christians knocking on my door on Saturday morning. It's only Christians who tell me I'm going to hell for x, y, z. It's only a Christian group that gave an abstinence only presentation at my daughter's public school during which they told girls that if they had sex before marriage they were like used chewing gum and no good man would ever want them. There is rarely an occasion in my day to day life where I even have to think about Islam or Hinduism or Judaism, because members of those groups do not interact with me in a way that is overtly about their religion. Maybe that speaks to a lack of diversity in my life that I should correct.

Which leads to the third point - it's easy to criticize Christianity because it's so ubiquitous in this country that even I, who was raised by atheist parents in a secular household and read the bible for the first time in a college humanities class and never set foot in a church until I was 25 and allowed my husband to have our daughter baptized because it made him happy - even I have always had a basic familiarity with bible stories and the basic elements of the Christian faith.

It's hard to criticize something you don't really know anything about. I have only the vaguest idea what Muslims and Hindus believe. I know a little bit about Judaism from dating a Jewish guy in college. I know nothing about the religions beyond those main ones. I could absolutely learn more about them, but making an effort to learn about something so you can be more specific about why you don't like it seems weird.

Anyway, the point is - I don' believe in any god, whether it is called God, Allah, Yahweh, Vishnu, Thor, Zeus, or anything else. I don't hate people who do believe in these gods. I try not to hate anyone - hating people is a time and energy suck. I don't understand them, that's for sure. So when Sarah Sanders says God made Trump president, that's as incomprehensible to me as calculus, the Klingon language, or why people find Woody Allen films funny. I just don't get it.

But - you are right that Christians are low hanging fruit among progressives and they do get criticized in a way that other religions do not. And I for one, am going to stop taking potshots. I'm still going to criticize things like... supporting a church that protects child molesters... but I'm not going to make any more obnoxious "Sky daddy", "imaginary friend" comments. It's not necessary and it's not useful.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:28 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Sarah Sanders Says God Wanted Trump To Be President

Yeah...

She and god are real tight.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:29 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
How contemptible of that woman, to try to put the blame for the plague of Trump on God!
Best post of the thread!

You're right. God doesn't deserve that.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:37 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
God wanted Trump to be President so that he could later be forced out from office in disgrace.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:00 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
I would normally never respond to you because you're a troll and based on what you post, you think I'm a literal demon from hell and should be executed in public because I'm a Democrat.

But - you bring up an interesting point.

I am a progressive Democrat and an atheist. I don't hate people who believe in a god, any god. I have an equally dim view of all religions.

But you are absolutely right that it is easier to be vocally opposed to Christian denominations than to others. Christianity is not tied to race or ethnicity the way that Islam or Hinduism or Judaism is, so you don't run the risk of people thinking you're racist if you criticize a different religion. If I express a negative opinion of Islam, I'm probably going to be called an Islamaphobe by my progressive brethren, even if the basis of my opinion is that I think all religions are inherently malignant.

And because it's the dominant religion in this country, Christianity tends to be much more "in your face." I've never had any group other than Christians knocking on my door on Saturday morning. It's only Christians who tell me I'm going to hell for x, y, z. It's only a Christian group that gave an abstinence only presentation at my daughter's public school during which they told girls that if they had sex before marriage they were like used chewing gum and no good man would ever want them. There is rarely an occasion in my day to day life where I even have to think about Islam or Hinduism or Judaism, because members of those groups do not interact with me in a way that is overtly about their religion. Maybe that speaks to a lack of diversity in my life that I should correct.

Which leads to the third point - it's easy to criticize Christianity because it's so ubiquitous in this country that even I, who was raised by atheist parents in a secular household and read the bible for the first time in a college humanities class and never set foot in a church until I was 25 and allowed my husband to have our daughter baptized because it made him happy - even I have always had a basic familiarity with bible stories and the basic elements of the Christian faith.

It's hard to criticize something you don't really know anything about. I have only the vaguest idea what Muslims and Hindus believe. I know a little bit about Judaism from dating a Jewish guy in college. I know nothing about the religions beyond those main ones. I could absolutely learn more about them, but making an effort to learn about something so you can be more specific about why you don't like it seems weird.

Anyway, the point is - I don' believe in any god, whether it is called God, Allah, Yahweh, Vishnu, Thor, Zeus, or anything else. I don't hate people who do believe in these gods. I try not to hate anyone - hating people is a time and energy suck. I don't understand them, that's for sure. So when Sarah Sanders says God made Trump president, that's as incomprehensible to me as calculus, the Klingon language, or why people find Woody Allen films funny. I just don't get it.

But - you are right that Christians are low hanging fruit among progressives and they do get criticized in a way that other religions do not. And I for one, am going to stop taking potshots. I'm still going to criticize things like... supporting a church that protects child molesters... but I'm not going to make any more obnoxious "Sky daddy", "imaginary friend" comments. It's not necessary and it's not useful.[/b]
I applaud your decision, and wish everyone, religious or not, would be equally civil. I'm a liberal and a Christian (although I am sure some of my more fundamentalist-leaning brethren would consider me a heretic - I don't believe in a literal hell, for one thing, and am pretty damn skeptical about eternal "punishment" of any kind), and I would never conduct myself in the ways you have described. I am sorry that happened to you, and have to wonder what on earth those folks thought they were going to accomplish.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:06 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
If anyone believes anything that comes out of this WH, I'll pray for them.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:08 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/politics/2019/january/exclusive-white-house-press-secretary-sarah-sanders-god-wanted-donald-trump-to-become-president

Fire, brimstone, and plagues of frogs and locusts wouldn’t have been enough punishment?
God must also have wanted Pelosi to be Speaker of the House then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies