Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 01:27 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I've noticed you ignored my post.

You need to make a choice between someone stocking footwear at Wally World made in China or the higher paid factory worker in a Red Wing factory that can afford to pay for Red Wing footwear. As it is right now you are choosing the Wally World employee stocking the shelves with Chinese made footwear over the higher paid factory worker making Red Wing footwear.

Those cheap Chinese goods on the shelves of US stores are the equivalent of a Native American Indian giving way Manhattan for some shiny glass beads, a few metal axe heads and some other trinkets. We need to fix this issue now, it's not just some employee making a shoe. Their unfair trade practices affect every industry in this country from someone making shoes to high tech industries.

So who are you with? The Chinese or the US worker?
Depends on the scenario. I'm getting us solar panels installed by us installers while I drive the most American made car on the planet, a Tesla.

But for iPhones and TVs? Nope. No point, us workers aren't going to want to do that low margin, low skill work. Same reason farmers use illegal labor on produce and milk farms... Can't find citizens to do the work at the market wage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 01:44 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
No point, us workers aren't going to want to do that low margin, low skill work. Same reason farmers use illegal labor on produce and milk farms... Can't find citizens to do the work at the market wage

You are pointing out the symptom, not the cause. The wage is low because illegals are willing to accept those low wages. If there is no illegals to take those jobs the wage necessarily needs to rise until someone takes that job. You are more concerned about being able to buy cheap tomatoes than fellow Americans that would take that job at higher wage.

It's bit different with China because we have no control over cheap labor there however we do have control over the numerous other unfair trade practices. There is wide ranging issues that go way beyond labor. Take the windows operating system for example, about 3/4 of installs there are pirated. Their unfair trade practices encompass all industries and it needs to be addressed.

Last edited by thecoalman; 02-07-2019 at 02:39 PM..

Old 02-07-2019, 02:10 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
End the trade war?

Where have these people been for 40 years while the middle class was being gutted?

Oh, right, rolling in their profits.
Right, I'm a liberal, and I support the trade war. These companies have been raking in billions from Americans, but giving back the bare minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies