Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 06:51 PM

2,362 posts, read 778,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Not to mention, your perception seems to be a bit skewed. It's okay for black people to pretend to be white and poke fun at white people, but not for a teacher to dress as a black person in order to teach.kids? That's rather hypocritical.
There is an asymmetry of history between black and white people in the USA. It may not be what you want to hear but it makes a difference when one group pokes fun of the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 07:01 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
There is an asymmetry of history between black and white people in the USA. It may not be what you want to hear but it makes a difference when one group pokes fun of the other.
The teacher wasn't poking fun at anyone. She was trying to teach the little cretins in a way that got their attention.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:05 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
At no point did she think this was a bad idea?

Old 01-31-2019, 07:05 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80amNNMJHII

Old 01-31-2019, 07:07 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
The teacher wasn't poking fun at anyone. She was trying to teach the little cretins in a way that got their attention.
It’s not about poking fun.

The dress wasn’t enough to get their attention? I’m sure she doesn’t dress like this every day.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:07 PM

505 posts, read 368,955 times
Quote:
So students are "little cretins" now?

I swear,...

Old 01-31-2019, 07:21 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
If folks in 2019 don't understand why white people putting on black face is a stupid idea, it's probably too late for them, really. That includes those on C-D who don't see how stupid it is.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:39 PM

958 posts, read 304,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Who in their right mind in this day and age of ours would think this to be acceptable? Idiot.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/scho...190635400.html
If I were a history teacher, I wouldn't teach "black history" I would teach history.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:42 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
If folks in 2019 don't understand why white people putting on black face is a stupid idea, it's probably too late for them, really. That includes those on C-D who don't see how stupid it is.
Well...maybe some white/non black people just don't care.
It's not that they don't know it may be offensive.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:19 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordin View Post
So students are "little cretins" now?

I swear,...
Another with no sense of humor, eh? Ok, I'll break it down for you. I have three children, and I love them all dearly. That fact does not, however, negate the fact that on occasion they drive me bonkers by being irritating little creatures who sometimes try their hardest to demonstrate to their mother and myself why some animal species devour their own young (my personal theory is that it's a final attempt to make them to go sleep at a reasonable hour). The term cretin is one that I use to refer to them at these special moments. It's a fun word to say and it can be used softly or with a stern voice. (Some words cannot. For example, try saying "bubbles" angrily.) Most parents that I know - and most teachers as well - have no problem understanding this word in context.

Of all the teachers I know, not a single one has ever boasted that their classrooms are full of perfectly behaved children. On top of that, modern history textbooks are written with so much emphasis on details that they fail to explain why the details are important, as well as failing to give the student any reason to invest their interest in the subject. History is boring. Bored children act up. Children who are acting up are irritating. Hence, the term little cretin. I didn't create the use of the term in this context. I picked it up from someone else, and I have seen the word in print being used in a similar manner. I do realize that the definition of the word cretin has no actual mention of children in it and that it is, in fact, considered an abusive term toward mentally deficient people. I don't care. I am using the word in a smartass forum post on a topic that only caught my attention because of its unworthiness to be a news story. I assumed that anyone capable of debating politics would be able to understand contextual usage. Apparently, I was mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies