Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2019, 05:58 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times

Advertisements

Unbeknownst to those of us who pay exorbitant fees for our Obamacare plans, Obama had allowed insurance companies both on and off the exchange to include a "gag clause" in their contracts by which pharmacists were FORBIDDEN from telling consumers of cheaper ways to obtain prescriptions. IOW, consumers were being forced to make the claim on their insurance, and paying much more than necessary.

The only reason for insurance companies to force their customers to make claims is because they (the insurance company) must profit when the claims are made. Why else wouldn't they prefer that customers, after paying premiums for coverage, not put in for drug reimbursement?

Fortunately, President Trump has forbidden this gag clause. I learned about it when I went to my pharmacist and, for the first time, he admitted to me that I could cut my costs in half by going through a different provider. Instead of paying $2,000 (annually) for my prescription, it now will cost me only $800.

Thank you, President Trump, for taking this step to reduce prescription costs. (And Obama: shame on you for allowing it.)

Old 02-01-2019, 06:15 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Unbeknownst to those of us who pay exorbitant fees for our Obamacare plans, Obama had allowed insurance companies both on and off the exchange to include a "gag clause" in their contracts by which pharmacists were FORBIDDEN from telling consumers of cheaper ways to obtain prescriptions. IOW, consumers were being forced to make the claim on their insurance, and paying much more than necessary.

The only reason for insurance companies to force their customers to make claims is because they (the insurance company) must profit when the claims are made. Why else wouldn't they prefer that customers, after paying premiums for coverage, not put in for drug reimbursement?

Fortunately, President Trump has forbidden this gag clause. I learned about it when I went to my pharmacist and, for the first time, he admitted to me that I could cut my costs in half by going through a different provider. Instead of paying $2,000 (annually) for my prescription, it now will cost me only $800.

Thank you, President Trump, for taking this step to reduce prescription costs. (And Obama: shame on you for allowing it.)
While Congress did pass such a law, and Trump did sign it (kudos to both), I believe it is a mischaracterization to imply that the practice was related to Obama or Obamacare. It was just an onerous practice that was adopted by some plans to fleece their insureds and had nothing to do with the ACA.

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/confer...for-pharmacies

My pharmacist has been suggesting cost-saving options to me for years, such as using GoodRx instead of my insurance. Saves me hundreds per month on a single Rx (before I meet my deductible).

Old 02-01-2019, 06:24 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
While Congress did pass such a law, and Trump did sign it (kudos to both), I believe it is a mischaracterization to imply that the practice was related to Obama or Obamacare. It was just an onerous practice that was adopted by some plans to fleece their insureds and had nothing to do with the ACA.

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/confer...for-pharmacies

My pharmacist has been suggesting cost-saving options to me for years, such as using GoodRx instead of my insurance. Saves me hundreds per month on a single Rx (before I meet my deductible).
But Obama allowed it, and Trump did away with it.

BTW, GoodRX was the provider my pharmacist suggested once the gag order was lifted. I had asked him EVERY time I filled my prescription if there was a cheaper option, and he said no. If I had known about the existence of the gag clause, I would have known not to listen to my pharmacist and done my own research. (In retrospect, I could have done that, but I thought my pharmacist was the most reliable source of information and I trusted him. I've been using the same pharmacy for 20 years.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies