Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Northam Resign?
Yes, he clearly has a problem and has lost credibility 98 71.53%
No, Democrat leaders in VA are right, he has a great current track record that speaks more than his past 39 28.47%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 06:17 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You are excusing it.

In fact, you're twisting yourself into a pretzel to excuse it.

VA wasn't that backwards in the 80s. By then people knew that posing for photos like that was unacceptable---especially a man like Northam who was educated.

Another poster who was in law school in TX back then even pointed out that that behavior wasn't acceptable back then.
I'm not excusing it, I think he should resign. But I was alive in 1984 and living in the state of Maryland. I went to lots of college parties (and high school ones early than that). It was done and no one thought a thing of it. I realize that a lot of that has to do with where you live and what your demographic and socioeconomic status was. But it happened and we didn't think a thing of it. I'm not proud of that, but I am telling you the truth.

I see you will choose to believe the way of the world is what the guy from Texas said so I know I won't convince you.

I also don't understand why the tone of your posts sounds so angry. Every one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 06:18 PM

26,491 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Uh-huh.

“You doth protest too much, methinks”.

His actions are contemptible; “sides” are irrelevant. Using the situation for political gain is equally contemptible.

Whatever you say.

Troll
Do you have anything of substance to add?

You made factually incorrect statements...
You refused to state your position while falsely saying I hadn't...and still haven't (should he resign?)...
When called out on it you pretend to read my mind and make blatantly false statements (ie that I pretend to be a Democrat poster)
You say you hate BS, but you are the one who BSes in every post.

When called out again...you thin I protest your BS to much...you vacuous troll.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:19 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,607,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I believe this was at VMI, I don't imagine the demographic included many blacks in 1985
It was Eastern Virginia Medical College, which he attended after VMI. You’re correct in that the school student body probably had very few blacks, but doing rounds in a local hospital as a student and then as a resident he would’ve definitely had a fair number of black patients in that part of the state.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:19 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
It was Eastern Virginia Medical College, which he attended after VMI. You’re correct in that the school student body probably had very few blacks, but doing rounds in a local hospital as a student and then as a resident he would’ve definitely had a fair number of black patients in that part of the state.
I wonder why the school thought (in 1984) that this picture was fit to print?

Old 02-01-2019, 06:20 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Troll
Do you have anything of substance to add?

You made factually incorrect statements...
You refused to state your position while falsely saying I hadn't...and still haven't (should he resign?)...
When called out on it you pretend to read my mind and make blatantly false statements (ie that I pretend to be a Democrat poster)
You say you hate BS, but you are the one who BSes in every post.

When called out again...you thin I protest your BS to much...you vacuous troll.
Triggered much?

And no, you literally did not state your position in the OP. You listed a bunch of scripted talking points, yet never explained your position on the subject.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I feel really ignorant but what exactly is a "coonman?"
It is an offensive term for a black person.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:21 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The outrage over Charlottesville was clearly lacking both from the president, his supporters and the CD right wing, Some even claimed that the supremacist that ran over the girl did so because he was in danger. The governor needs to resign, this isn't going away.
There would not have been anything to have been outraged about in Charlottesville if the militant wing of the Democrat left - Antifa - had not organized a violent attack against the racist protesters, the latter of who were licensed to be there. They would have had their little march and gone home, and virtually nobody would have ever heard about that event or cared.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:22 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm not excusing it, I think he should resign. But I was alive in 1984 and living in the state of Maryland. I went to lots of college parties (and high school ones early than that). It was done and no one thought a thing of it. I realize that a lot of that has to do with where you live and what your demographic and socioeconomic status was. But it happened and we didn't think a thing of it. I'm not proud of that, but I am telling you the truth.

I see you will choose to believe the way of the world is what the guy from Texas said so I know I won't convince you.

I also don't understand why the tone of your posts sounds so angry. Every one of them.
Angry? No. not.at.all.

Happy? Of course not. That said, there is a happy medium between angry and happy.

I've lived in VA since the 80s. Never once did I see anything like you described. Never once was I harassed for being of Hispanic descent. If I found VA to be racist back then, I never would have stayed here so long.

Are there racists around that commit hate crimes? Of course they are---and they happen everywhere, sad to say. When caught, do they face consequences? Of course they do.

In the end, it doesn't excuse what Northam did. Nor does it excuse the nickname he used while at VMI. All of that is cringeworthy.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Triggered much?
BS much and then decry BSing?

Notice you can't go after any of my points I made. typical troll, short on intellect.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:24 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
BS much and then decry BSing?

Notice you can't go after any of my points I made. typical troll, short on intellect.
Any more projection on your part?

Couldn’t be bothered to comment on the rest of the post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies