Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Northam Resign?
Yes, he clearly has a problem and has lost credibility 98 71.53%
No, Democrat leaders in VA are right, he has a great current track record that speaks more than his past 39 28.47%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 06:24 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think a lot of it will depend on how he responds. Also, Byrd was actually in the Klan, correct? (Sorry I'm not up on it).

I'm thinking that someone in 1984 thought two friends dressing as a black dude and a Klansman hanging out together was pretty funny. Very different from being in the KKK.
I agree with you on that last statement. I think it was a bunch of college kids who thought it was funny - kind of like when I lived in Germany and a friend's teen wanted to dress up as a terrorist for Halloween. He even came out in his costume - it was pretty good, actually, and funny, but you know - can't have that so his mom said 'no'.

I don't think there was ill intent there, but, people are getting trashed and canned and their lives ruined left and right over dumb things they did in the past. And I really, really despise this infanticide supporter - but this is not the thing to use to take him down. Take him down on what he thinks now, not some stupid Halloween costume while in college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 06:25 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Triggered much?

And no, you literally did not state your position in the OP. You listed a bunch of taking points, yet never explained your position on the subject.
Since you edited this post, I will respond to it with your new point.

Look at the title of the thread. "He Should Resign Immediately"

You say that based on my posting history that I disguise myself as a Democrat to stir the pot for Republicans. Show me any evidence from my posting history that justifies this claim.

Or were you just BSing, because you don't have anything?

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
I'm not excusing it, I think he should resign. But I was alive in 1984 and living in the state of Maryland. I went to lots of college parties (and high school ones early than that). It was done and no one thought a thing of it. I realize that a lot of that has to do with where you live and what your demographic and socioeconomic status was. But it happened and we didn't think a thing of it. I'm not proud of that, but I am telling you the truth.

I see you will choose to believe the way of the world is what the guy from Texas said so I know I won't convince you.

I also don't understand why the tone of your posts sounds so angry. Every one of them.
People were wearing Klan hoods to high school parties in Maryland? This picture isn’t the same as some white kid in the 70s or 80s going as their idol Wilt Chamberlain to a Halloween party and thus putting on brown makeup and an Afro wig. This is random black (literally) man and klansman in a southern state. It’s basically a murderer and murder victim fantasy scene.

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
Shhh...let them have their faux outrage. If you're not screaming like a banshee about this then you are excusing it.
I would expect the same level as what was expressed toward Kavanaugh.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:26 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
I wonder why the school thought (in 1984) that this picture was fit to print?
I wonder too. But I can't imagine it was the work of more than a couple of students (out of a student body of just 30 or so) who got volunteered, or maybe they tasked it to clueless old ladies on the admin staff. I can't imagine there are too many med students who have time for Yearbook Club.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:26 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
I feel really ignorant but what exactly is a "coonman?"
I thought that surely you would have heard that disgusting term, given how you said Northam's behavior was common in VA during the 80s...hmmm...

Old 02-01-2019, 06:27 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
A photo uncovered by ABC 8News - WRIC in Governor of Virginia Ralph Northam's VMI yearbook shows Northam with the nickname "Coonman."

More: https://bit.ly/2Ux6Nlt

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I thought that surely you would have heard that disgusting term, given how you said Northam's behavior was common in VA during the 80s...hmmm...
That is a good point. She knows these racists all too well...in the GOP, but doesn't know a term like that?!

3,321 posts, read 1,100,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Since you edited this post, I will respond to it with your new point.

Look at the title of the thread. "He Should Resign Immediately"

You say that based on my posting history that I disguise myself as a Democrat to stir the pot for Republicans. Show me any evidence from my posting history that justifies this claim.

Or were you just BSing, because you don't have anything?
A. This thread in and of itself justifies the claim.

B. You copied a bunch of talking points and failed to connect them a position on the topic.

What’s next? More juvenile name calling on your part?

Old 02-01-2019, 06:28 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Nope never heard it at all.

You are also twisting my words. I never said his behavior was common. I said that behavior like that happened and people didn't think a lot of it. That the college itself would allow the picture to be printed in the yearbook should tell you that.

Now would you like to have a dialogue or do you want to keep twisting my words and going in for gotcha moments which probably border on TOS violations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies