Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 06:32 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,334 times

Advertisements

If you live your life Conservitive , you most likely respect others who disagree with the Ideology you believe in.

The people in the Progressivism movement, do not want to have anything to do with Conservatives, they have no respect for any opinion but their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 08:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I see tilting at windmills is still a popular pastime.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:49 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Are you saying so that you support programs like EBT? If so you are morally superior to most conservatives.
"EBT" is not a program.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
If you live your life Conservitive , you most likely respect others who disagree with the Ideology you believe in.

The people in the Progressivism movement, do not want to have anything to do with Conservatives, they have no respect for any opinion but their own.
So you don't believe that each of us falls somewhere along a long curve...but that rather there are a couple tribes and "they" all think and act a particular way???

That's strange.......

I'm as liberal as they come. My volunteer work has been first with a Jesuit and now with a Christian Org (Meals on Wheels). I also spend time driving seniors and disabled people to church...and back...and to the doctor and to get their nails and hair done.

Personally I don't get my nails and hair done. I don't go to church. I'm not a Jesuit and I'm not a Christian.

I'd think more people are like myself....than "I'm a this and I never hang around with that".

I like people who are educated, worldly and nice. The woman I drove to church and back Sunday had been to 89 countries, had degrees in history and philosophy and her husband is a top professor of history at a top college.

I didn't ask her whether she was a "lib" or a "trumpie".

I'd be the first to claim that I don't hang with deplorables....but that would mean anyone deplorable, not something based on their political party. I even have Republican friends....they laugh at themselves for being Republicans (one is GOP because he gets campaign printing business from the party). Talk to him for 5 minutes and you see he believes in universal health care and most liberal ideas.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:38 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So you don't believe that each of us falls somewhere along a long curve...but that rather there are a couple tribes and "they" all think and act a particular way???

That's strange.......

I'm as liberal as they come. My volunteer work has been first with a Jesuit and now with a Christian Org (Meals on Wheels). I also spend time driving seniors and disabled people to church...and back...and to the doctor and to get their nails and hair done.

Personally I don't get my nails and hair done. I don't go to church. I'm not a Jesuit and I'm not a Christian.

I'd think more people are like myself....than "I'm a this and I never hang around with that".

I like people who are educated, worldly and nice. The woman I drove to church and back Sunday had been to 89 countries, had degrees in history and philosophy and her husband is a top professor of history at a top college.

I'd be the first to claim that I don't hang with deplorables....but that would mean anyone deplorable, not something based on their political party. I even have Republican friends....they laugh at themselves for being Republicans (one is GOP because he gets campaign printing business from the party). Talk to him for 5 minutes and you see he believes in universal health care and most liberal ideas.
You support stealing peoples money for your political causes. Is it because you are noble?

If you like educated people, why aren't you educated enough to know that the big government you support is a failure? Is that what educated means? Fall in line with your hand out and don't ask questions?

Old 02-04-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I've talked to many conservatives throughout my life on citydata and out in the real world. The policies they propose would hurt the majority of people which is why I oppose them.
Name one. I dare you. Name one small government policy that didn't work.

Quote:
I don't care how nice they are personally if they think poor people should just starve to death just so there taxes don't go up they are lost.
Show proof conservatives don't care about people starving? You wont because you can't. The odd thing is you can't show proof of some people starving. Look around at all the fat people and explain to me how many are starving. Make something else up.

Quote:
American conservatives are morally bankrupt.
All big government supporters are morally bankrupt. Their policies are failures and they have no problem ignoring rights because of their self appointed moral authority.

Again name one, just one, small government policy that hurts we the people. You won't even try since that would expose you and the rest of your big goverment supporters as total frauds.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Are you saying so that you support programs like EBT? If so you are morally superior to most conservatives.
Government isn't moral. That you think so is proof of your ignorance.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:08 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
I have absolutely no problems helping those that can't help themselves. My charity stops when one can support themselves but chooses not to, or is an illegal.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:16 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I'm not religious and I'm a conservative. Most of my beliefs were considered liberal 5 years ago. Lower taxes for the middle/working classes. Secure borders. Renegotiating bad trade deals so we can bring our blue collar jobs back home to help the middle class. Bringing our troops home from these elective wars. Legalizing marijuana. Experiencing diverse opinions & being challenged on yours, while in college. Prison reform. Stopping the bad guys from owning guns. Freedom of speech. The right to privacy. America first. The Democrats did an ideological 180' on all these things because Trump wants to do them.

This is the majority of what conservatives think , many are far closer to the middle , but the left doesn't want to believe it. They would much rather demonize an entire group to justify their agenda, I can see proof of that just in the replies to this thread.

Myself and every conservative I know thinks pretty much as you do Mason.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:47 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

That's strange.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You support stealing peoples money for your political causes. Is it because you are noble?

If you like educated people, why aren't you educated enough to know that the big government you support is a failure? Is that what educated means? Fall in line with your hand out and don't ask questions?
I think these two posts get to the root of the problem; the progressives support ends that most of us would regard as positive, even noble, but the problem is finding the means without infringing on somebody else's hard-earned property.

Because, to borrow from Joseph Sorban: "Conservatives are never attacked and accused of "greed" for coveting or trying to seize other peoples' money; only for seeking to keep more of their own."

(And the vault full of other people's money for which the Progressive Kiddie Korps has big plans is mostly "speculative interest" which exists only on paper.)

Which is why i'll continue to advocate a "safety net", but a bare-bones version under strict local control. I recognize, of course, that this will likely involve the participation the local Bible-thumpers, who can be a pretty crude and intolerant bunch, but it will also discourage a lot of those who make a practice of working and exploiting the system -- and who are very much aware that the autonomy offered by large cities and large bureaucracies works in their favor.

It was this disparity that led to the rise of Donald Trump (whom I did not vote for, BTW) and which gave a voice to a lot of the people whom Mrs. Clinton unwisely castigated as "deplorables" -- and to whom a certain percentage over in LeftyLand still direct a lot of their venom, and repeatedly stereotype as far more crude and ignorant than is really the case.

There's probably still enough common ground and common sense out there to form a new consensus, but there will be plenty of bumps in the road.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-05-2019 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies