Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 06:57 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Adapt to what? Killing unborn babies? Being overrun with third world illegal aliens? Changing one's gender? Men marrying men, women marrying women? Did I miss anything?
Eracing and rewriting our history, vilifying our founding fathers, and tearing down our monuments to the past? Just more that come to mind...yeah, I sit here watching "progress" pass me by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 07:26 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post

Today, 08:12 PM
I am having a difficult time assimilating in my mind what has happened to this part of America. The current ideology of conservatives appears more and more to be anti everything that is good, moral, honest and beautiful. Anyone else feel this way?
Yep. Someone does feel this way if you substitute liberals for word conservatives.

Actually, they thought it before you did...and posted about it.

Quote:
alan west alan west started this thread
Senior Master Member
befriend

Today, 03:09 PM
391 posts, read 155,081 times

I am having a difficult time assimilating in my mind what has happened to this part of America. The current ideology of liberals appear more and more to be anti everything that is good, moral, honest and beautiful. Anyone else feel this way?
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ly-define.html

Last edited by 4dognight; 02-01-2019 at 07:42 PM..

Old 02-01-2019, 07:27 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan west View Post
I am having a difficult time assimilating in my mind what has happened to this part of America. The current ideology of liberals appear more and more to be anti everything that is good, moral, honest and beautiful. Anyone else feel this way?
Ref# 54316018 (3:09 PM)

Quote:
I am having a difficult time assimilating in my mind what has happened to this part of America. The current ideology of conservatives appears more and more to be anti everything that is good, moral, honest and beautiful. Anyone else feel this way?
Ref# 54318826 (8:12 PM)

"What we got here is -- a failure to communicate." (Strother Martin as "the Captain" in Cool Hand Luke)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Conservatives don't do ideology.
Depends. I suppose, on how you define "ideology"

As a libertarian (please note that the 'l' is lower case) I'm in basic agreement with:

The idea that personal, expressionary and economic freedom are unitary and inseparable
That free individuals, and voluntary associations, may engage in any activity that does no deliberate harm to any other individual
That the right to private peoperty is an extension of the rights to life and liberty/autonomy
That religious belief and sexual expression are private matters
That the monopoly on the legal use of force or coercion granted to the nation/state provides the greatest and most dangerous potential for man's inhumanity to man
And that a philosophy of "live and let live" has killed a lot fewer people than one of "we know what's best for all of us"

The devil is in the details, of course, but I think this is a pretty good starting point

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-01-2019 at 08:24 PM..

Old 02-01-2019, 07:51 PM

18,557 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Conservatives don't do ideology.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:43 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
I recognize that this thread was primarily created to snark a thread asking the same of liberals, but to be serious....

I would have to say that as a general rule, conservatives seem to be short-sighted. For example, prayer in schools. I know a number who seem to be of the belief that it should be brought back, because they envision that it will be Christian praying. But they don't seem to realize what doors they're opening with that. I know there's a Muslim-majority community somewhere in Michigan, so if praying in school is left open, then this opens to door to a Muslim majority imposing Islamic prayers--which conservatives scream about. (And before anybody goes there, no, I wouldn't support this. I am for keeping all organized prayer out of public schools, regardless of what religion it is. What the kids do in their heads before an algebra test is a whole 'nother ballgame. ) It wouldn't even have to be a different religion--I grew up in St. Louis, which was, at the time, predominantly Catholic. The "Hail Mary" is a common prayer for Catholics, but there are Christian sects that don't approve of how Mary was elevated. So what if my public schools then forced everybody to say the Hail Mary, despite, say, a Southern Baptist objecting? So far as I'm concerned, if you want organized prayer in school, then send your kid to a religious school.

To continue in the religious vein, I have seen many conservatives push for "Bible-based" laws.....but then scream about Sharia law. And again, so far as I'm concerned, both are wrong. But there seems to be the lack of understanding that if you open the door to one, then you open the door to the other. And no, the U.S. is not a Christian nation. If you want to argue it is a nation with a predominantly Christian population, I would agree with you, but our government is based in secular law. Things like "thou shalt not kill" and "thou shalt not steal" may have been made most popular by the Ten Commandments, but those concepts are not unique to Judeo-Christian culture.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:08 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:

I am having a difficult time figuring out why you made your claim with NO details.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:17 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,778 times
So how can we honestly define American conservatives?

Why would you try? You don't mean define, you mean categorize. Causing a divide is a team strategy used for votes. Our "two party" system is tearing this country apart already. What you should be asking is "how can you not." Try understanding people instead, you'll get answers then, get rid of your team mentality.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:23 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:

Good moral honest and beautiful as defined by...whom? You? Nancy Pelosi? Out house rats like Harry Reid and Barrack Obama? Name any celebrity actor performer etc I'm sure they will fill the bill. WTFE

Old 02-02-2019, 06:28 AM

23,530 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Like picking a particular race and saying 'how can we honestly define ' race x"?

Meanwhile, we enjoy a hate and fear mongering campaign waged by anti conservatives.

original posting, blatant ignorance borne of and paid for by Russia. The check is in the mail!

Old 02-02-2019, 06:37 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,448,433 times
Quote:
There's your problem: you assimilate. You think exactly what you are told to think and ignore all reality that runs counter to that ideology. Leftists are incapable of original thought and repackage the same, tired, failed ideas over and over again. I feel sorry for you because the dystopian world you inhabit is of your own making and exists only in your own head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies