Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For the children or not?
The tax was made in honesty to prevent smoking 12 28.57%
The tax is just sneaky way to collect more taxes overall 30 71.43%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 01:59 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,313,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Ok, so you cannot show where the tax goes directly to the smoker's healthcare.

You also still have not answered regarding having a tax on other cancer related things. You support that? You support extremely high taxes on any and everything that causes an increase probability of cancer?
You're being intellectually dishonest and trying to pretend the risk is the same for all bad behaviors. Adios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 02:08 PM

30,244 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
If you pay taxes, you are likely supporting poor smokers who primarily depend on medicaid for healthcare. As I posted above, higher taxes have been shown to decrease smoking rates.

As a fiscal conservative, I am all for reducing medicaid expenditures in my state.
I don't care. I'm supporting all kinds of activities that people do and get medical coverage for - but some people only seem to zone in on smokers and fat people, they don't ever talk about anything else that people do that is bad for them and we all pay for.

I don't care if someone smokes. Higher taxes have not stopped poor people from smoking - poor people still smoke. And now, because of taxing cigarettes, they have made it so that poor people can't afford other things because they continue to smoke. A lot (not all) poor people are poor because they don't make good decisions. They aren't going to give up smoking, drinking, or drugs. They will just spend less on other things - like food, shelter, electric, etc.

Let me know when we start attacking the coffee drinkers for their addictions - caffeine is not good for the heart - how many people do we pay for who have heart problems because they can't give up the caffeine? And what about all those people who eat out at restaurants all the time? They are getting a whole lot of fat and carbs, even if they are thin, it doesn't mean they are healthy. How many of those people do we pay for down the road?

Fiscal conservative - "I don't want to pay for what other people do", but not conservative in that you prefer to tell people how to live their lives. That doesn't impress me.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't care. I'm supporting all kinds of activities that people do and get medical coverage for - but some people only seem to zone in on smokers and fat people, they don't ever talk about anything else that people do that is bad for them and we all pay for.

I don't care if someone smokes. Higher taxes have not stopped poor people from smoking - poor people still smoke. And now, because of taxing cigarettes, they have made it so that poor people can't afford other things because they continue to smoke. A lot (not all) poor people are poor because they don't make good decisions. They aren't going to give up smoking, drinking, or drugs. They will just spend less on other things - like food, shelter, electric, etc.

Let me know when we start attacking the coffee drinkers for their addictions - caffeine is not good for the heart - how many people do we pay for who have heart problems because they can't give up the caffeine? And what about all those people who eat out at restaurants all the time? They are getting a whole lot of fat and carbs, even if they are thin, it doesn't mean they are healthy. How many of those people do we pay for down the road?

Fiscal conservative - "I don't want to pay for what other people do", but not conservative in that you prefer to tell people how to live their lives. That doesn't impress me.
Ignoring facts to suit your agenda. Doesn't impress me either.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...tinues-to-fall

Smoking doesn't just affect the smoker either. Second hand smoke kills. At least fast food tubbies only affect themselves when they eat

Old 02-02-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Ignoring facts to suit your agenda.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...tinues-to-fall
NPR is a liberal station. I don't care what npr says.

How about you come up with a way where we aren't taxed for anyone's health care - since you're so "fiscally conservative". Like, say, getting the government out of health care...would be a great start.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:15 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,956,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Yep. It's always about the money. Just look into Philadelphia's soda tax. They tried to hide behind the old " we need to think about the health of the people", but the truth came out when the law makers were expecting the tax to increase revenue in the area, were actually disappointed to find out citizens either stopped drinking soda, or just bought the soda in another city with a lower tax.
It is always about the money.
Even our wars are about the money while they put on a charade of crocodile tears for the innocent dying and brutal dictators in power.

When Saddam was our guy, we never heard about the Kurds or attrocities under him.
Once Saddam turned his back on us, out come the stories about babies being tossed out of incubators.

You never hear about the human rights abuses in Saudi Arabia and China since there is a lot of money involved.
But once our relations sour, out will come the stories about China harvesting organs and other human rights abuses.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
NPR is a liberal station. I don't care what npr says.

How about you come up with a way where we aren't taxed for anyone's health care - since you're so "fiscally conservative". Like, say, getting the government out of health care...would be a great start.
Fine with me. But until then, ban smokers from medicaid since they cost more than anyone else. Until then do whatever is needed to reduce smoking.

Npr is pretty good quality reporting. Let me guess, you like info wars? BTW it wasn't an npr study lol

Old 02-02-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Fine with me. But until then, ban smokers from medicaid since they cost more than anyone else. Until then do whatever is needed to reduce smoking.

Npr is pretty good quality reporting. Let me guess, you like info wars?
Smack yourself again for a stupid assumption. I can't stand Alex Jones.

I don't mind banning people from medicaid for their lifestyle choices. That's fine with me. But the tax on cigarettes or e-cigs has absolutely nothing at all to do with anyone caring about people's health. It's all about money.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:21 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,956,531 times
Quote:
Smack yourself again for a stupid assumption. I can't stand Alex Jones.

I don't mind banning people from medicaid for their lifestyle choices. That's fine with me. But the tax on cigarettes or e-cigs has absolutely nothing at all to do with anyone caring about people's health. It's all about money.
The money probably goes to some slush fund to give to their cronies.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
. But the tax on cigarettes or e-cigs has absolutely nothing at all to do with anyone caring about people's health. It's all about money.
Facts refute your propaganda

Old 02-02-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Facts refute your propaganda
What "facts"? You know where the government is putting that money? Please provide a spending sheet showing that the money they gain from taxing cigarettes and e-cigs is spent on anything worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies