Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 03:48 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
I recognize my tax dollars go to worse uses than the medical treatment of poor crime victims. If this was the limit of it, I wouldn't be in the least concerned. Also, fwiw and I do recognize the somewhat illogicalness of the position, I have no issue with ending pregnancies as a result of incest/rape/danger to mother. Not even to the extent of getting worked up at the use of tax dollars.

Unfortunately, what percentage of PP abortions did I just surrender to?
I don't know what percentage of abortions are the result of incest/rape/danger. But I do know that many of those women who quietly sit in Planned Parenthood offices are screaming inside. They have harrowing stories and poignant stories and run-of-the mill soap operas they could share with you. They have places they would rather be. They are worried about paying the water bill and will they have enough gas in the car to get back to work. Abortion is not just a philosophical debate, it's not just about when a fetus is viable or what religion you subscribe to, it's about a woman, a real person, who has thought about it and come to the conclusion that she cannot have this baby. If we knew what her reason was, we might agree with her or we might sympathize with her or we might judge her. We don't know what her reasons are because it's none of our business. This is a deeply private, deeply personal matter. I respect that, because of my own personal experiences. I respect that women are rational and reasonable and should be allowed to make decisions regarding their physical well-being. I'm not advocating abortion. I respect your position and yeledal's position and the beliefs and opinions of all the people who want to weigh in on this issue. But we have to stop with the judging and try to treat our fellow human beings with respect and compassion.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:48 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Hamas hides its rocket launchers in civilian neighborhoods.
As I was stating...

Old 04-09-2008, 03:52 PM

740 posts, read 2,014,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Terror is something that requires contemplation based on logic and experience of life, something that fetuses lack. There is good evidence that most fetuses aren't even conscious during pregnancy. In 2005 Mellor and colleagues in the US showed evidence that the fetus is not conscious during most of the pregnancy. Just because parents plug in Mozart tapes for their fetus, doen't mean fetuses can hear or percieve pain. Up until 20-24 weeks of pregnancy the brain isn't even remotely "wired" to do much of anything beyond basic autonomic functions and reflexes- the foetus is for all purposes alive only in the sense that a tadpole is alive. You do know that an organism can react to noxious stimuli and pain without actually being conscious of it, right?

If you would like to see just how rediculious this statement is, I would invite you to go to this website and watch the ultrasonic video of an 11 week baby being aborted. You tell me after you watch that the baby didn't feel any pain or that he/she was unconscious during the procedure!!!!! The baby is crying!!! Two of the leading PP abortionist quit what they were doing when they saw this!

Old 04-09-2008, 04:06 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
I think that abortion is something that will never be rescinded.......as the saying goes, that horse has left the barn.

That said, I predict that as technology progresses, especially in neo natal medicine, abortion will still be around, but it will have much tighter restrictions. Not to demean women, but in acknowledgement of the raw inhumanity of abortion. For example, late term abortion was something few knew about, but since the advent of nicu's and younger and younger babies surviving with fewer and fewer disabilities, public opinion is universally horrified by the procedure. I see a time when abortion will be limited to the first 50 days, no exception.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:12 PM

269 posts, read 812,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
Planned Parenthood Reports Record Abortions, High Profits
By Randy Hall
CNSNews.com Staff Writer/Editor
June 15, 2007

(CNSNews.com) - Despite a drop in donations and the first fall in income from clinics in its history, the nation's biggest abortion provider made a high profit last year, thanks to the American taxpayer. Pro-lifers want this to stop.

During its 2005-2006 fiscal year, the nonprofit Planned Parenthood Federation of America performed a record 264,943 abortions, attained a high profit of $55.8 million and received record taxpayer funding of $305.3 million.

According to its annual report, income is divided roughly into three major categories: clinic income (fees charged to customers at clinics); donations (gifts from corporations, foundations and individuals); and taxpayer money (grants and contracts from federal, state and local government).

For the year July 1, 2005, through June 30, 2006, Planned Parenthood received $345.1 million in clinic income, $305.3 million in taxpayer funding and $212.2 million in donations. Total income reached $902.8 million while total expenses came to $847.0 million, leaving a profit of $55.8 million.

Numerous calls to Planned Parenthood offices in both New York City and Washington, D.C., seeking comment for this article, were not returned, but a statement on the organization's website says that the report "illustrates the achievements of an organization founded to prevent unintended pregnancy and protect women's health and safety."

http://www.aclj.org/media/pdf/ACLJ_Planned_Parenthood_Memo.pdf (broken link)

IMHO this is an outrage...
Yes. And my tax dollars are also funding freeway "upgrades" that never get done. A war that half the population opposes to. Screwed up education. Cleaning up the cities that get trashed by idiots. Helping the "unfortunate" by giving them WIC, MedicAid, & housing... Welfare... The list goes on.

Our tax dollars goes to hundreds of things. Since you are one person, and I am one person... and there are HUNDREDS of different things that get funded by our tax dollars... It's safe to assume that there's at least ONE thing we won't want our money going to correct? From the list above, I personally don't like funding the ridiculous war and some of the people on welfare. But that's me. And you apparently don't like funding abortions.

Well... that's life. With a huge pool of money (taxes), we're not all gonna agree to where it goes. I can start another thread about why our tax dollars are paying for lazy people on welfare, but I won't, because I don't know all the people on welfare, therefore I won't JUDGE them. I don't like judging "groups". I don't even like judging individuals. But hey, I'd rather individualize a situation than be bias and judge a whole group without knowing each and every one of them.

No offense, but griping about where your tax dollars go isn't productive as there's hundreds of places that it goes to that I'm sure millions of people disagree about as well.

In my opinion, it's also an outrage that we're funding a stupid war. But that's just my opinion.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:15 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I see a time when abortion will be limited to the first 50 days, no exception.
Not if the death-worshippers on this forum, and in this society, have their way.

The most horifying thing in this whole debate, to me, is the relish that pro-abortion people take in commiting unborn souls to death. This is the ultimate expression of callousness; the subversion of hope; the triumph of the powerful over the helpless.

And it goes on and on, with such vehement, strident supporters.

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

--- Yeats

Old 04-09-2008, 04:17 PM

Default Repeat Abortion Rate Approaches 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Women in their twenties or thirties don't get raped? And incest wasn't the abuse I was referring to. Married women from nice, middle-class homes get abused every day in this country, behind closed doors. Some of the abuse is physical, some emotional. Women who don't feel like they have anywhere to turn, in part because they are middle-class and are afraid of the reactions of their family and neighbors, women who might not want to bring a child into an abusive home. There are single women who are trying to build careers, and who use contraceptives and still get pregnant. The same people who tell them they shouldn't have an abortion but should put the baby up for adoption are also the ones who label the woman for getting pregnant (she was a harlot, she was irresponsible, she was immoral), and those labels will affect her career, and her life, because while getting pregnant might be a private matter, being pregnant is not. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of women do not use abortion as a de facto contraceptive, they agonize over the decision, and they often do have regrets afterwards. But even if they regret that they ever had to make the decision, for some it was the right decision.

Statistics say you are wrong...

President's Letter
The statistics on repeat abortions are very disturbing. Abortion is supposed to be something which is done with "great concern." It is frequently said, "no one has an abortion casually without giving it a lot of thought. " If abortion is taken so seriously by women there should be very few repeat abortions. And yet nearly 1/2 of all abortions in the U.S. are in this category. Health care professionals and abortion providers should be very interested in the causes of the phenomenon, but there has been very little interest in studying the women involved in the practice. Surgeon General Koop ignored repeat abortion in his recent letter on the health effects of abortion on women. This newsletter has included virtually all of the studies on the subject. These studies, primarily by pro-choice advocates, demonstrate increasing risk of infertility and reproductive damage as well as increasing adverse psychological and social effects.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeat Abortion Rate Approaches 50%
The repeat abortion rate in the U.S. has risen rapidly since Roe v. Wade was decided in 1973. In 1973 it was estimated that only about 12% of the induced abortions were repeat abortions. By 1979 the national repeat rate had risen to 29.4% and by 1983 it had reached 38.8%. In 1987 the Alan Guttmacher Institute took a survey of 9480 women at approximately 100 abortion clinics throughout the U.S. and found that 42.9% of the women said they were having repeat abortions. 26.9% were having a second abortion; 10.7% were having a third abortion; and 5.3% were having a fourth abortion or more. (Henshaw 1987, 1988)

lifeissues.net | Special Issue on Repeat Abortion

Last edited by ibcwife; 04-09-2008 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: copyright

Old 04-09-2008, 05:02 PM

Statistics (http://www.californiaprolife.org/abortion/aborstats.html - broken link)

Did You Know?
At a minimum, more than 165,000 abortions are done each year to unborn babies who are in the second and third trimester.

Given the large amount of abortions done each year, the actual number of abortions done after the first twelve weeks of pregnancy is quite large, even though it is a small percentage of the 1.3 million abortions done annually.

Number of abortions Weeks of pregnancy
90,000 13-15 weeks
60,000 16-20 weeks 15,000 21 or more weeks
600 after 26 weeks*

*(after the unborn child is 6 months old)

Did You Know?
The Centers for Disease Control reports over 17,000 abortions in 1993 done at 21 weeks or later.

The above figures were published by the Alan Guttmacher Institute in Facts in Brief, September 1995. Information from abortionists, clinic employees, and other sources, however, suggests that the figures for later-term abortions are too low. For example:

In 1984, then-Surgeon General C. Everett Koop estimated that about 4,000 "third trimester" (after 26 weeks) (can you imagine how many that would be today?) abortions occur each year in the United States, and that "less than five percent of that number have induced abortion because of a known defect in the fetus."
Dr. Martin Haskell, who specializes in partial-birth abortions which are done on late-term babies, reported that he had performed over 1,000 of these abortions himself. The late Dr. James McMahon admitted performing over 2,000.
An employee of Kansas abortionist George Tiller wrote in 1991, "I saw the medical records of every abortion patient for a period of over six months. At least (conservatively) an average of ten (24-30-week gestation) late-term abortions were done each week" in that facility alone - - which would be over 500 a year.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:20 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Not if the death-worshippers on this forum, and in this society, have their way.

The most horifying thing in this whole debate, to me, is the relish that pro-abortion people take in commiting unborn souls to death. This is the ultimate expression of callousness; the subversion of hope; the triumph of the powerful over the helpless.

And it goes on and on, with such vehement, strident supporters.
And the redirecting continues.

The more strident postings seem to be on the anti-choice side. Perhaps your view is shaded by your sentiments.

The relish in taking away funding to an organization providing medical services (non-abortion related) to the poorest and most severely handicapped adults seems to be "the ultimate expression of callousness"...and "the triumph of the powerful over the helpless."

Old 04-09-2008, 05:36 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
If you would like to see just how rediculious this statement is, I would invite you to go to this website and watch the ultrasonic video of an 11 week baby being aborted. You tell me after you watch that the baby didn't feel any pain or that he/she was unconscious during the procedure!!!!! The baby is crying!!! Two of the leading PP abortionist quit what they were doing when they saw this!
Well, if you're so concerned about the horribly painful slaughter of innocent babies in wombs, are you giving money to any organizations who need it to help poor women, such as married ones, with birth control so they won't have to be in a position of choice? By the way, a poor married couple who choose to put the baby up for adoption, rather than abort, is also a sad tragedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies