Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 12:30 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
No, on the bold - I'm saying it is some racist BS.

On the blue - I know a lot of Russian and Polish people who don't speak English, but I don't think that a majority of all white people don't speak English....

You are letting your own prejudices show, which is fine - but it is silly to act like they are not prejudices. Prejudice is "pre-judging" people and thinking an Asian person who lives in America doesn't speak English is rather prejudiced. People do the same thing with Latinos. It is always stupid to me. Someone doesn't have to be white to speak English and not all white people here even speak English themselves.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 12:33 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
My point was that I was responding to a poster who said that he didn't know any Asians who meet the stereotypes. I was saying that I do. Nothing more sinister than that.

As for fighting stereotyping, count me out. I don't want to waste my time tilting at windmills. Human beings have used stereotyping to help make sense of their world for who-knows how long, and I don't see it stopping any time soon. Because, the fact is, stereotypes exist for a reason. If a noticeable proportion of a specifically identifiable group exhibits a certain behavior, a stereotype will form that says that all members of that group exhibit that behavior. And though we can deny it all we want, there are certain behaviors that are more readily observed in some specifically identifiable groups than there are in others. Is this fair to those members of the group that don't exhibit that behavior? No, of course not. But I'm not going to be able to change that. What I CAN do, is work on myself to ensure that I personally don't allow stereotypes to color how I interact with any particular individual - even if I do end up seeing certain stereotypical behaviors in that person.

I did not say I didn't know any who fit a stereotype - I stated a majority of those I know do not. Those that do were not born or raised here from a young child. A majority of Asian Americans who live in America were actually born and/or raised here and so don't fit that stereotype.

It is idiotic IMO to assume someone is like the minority of any racial group. People who assume all black people cannot speak standard English are stupid because the majority of black people do speak standard English. Just like the majority of Latinos in America and Asian Americans speak English without an accent.

To place the characteristic of a minority on a majority of a population is stupid. That is what stereotyping does for Asian Americans and Latinos when it comes to language.

On the blue - what would you say are certain behaviors more readily observed amongst the white population.....FWIW I mentioned one I noticed about white people earlier in the thread. I also mentioned those that my relatives noticed over their lifetimes. Interestingly, you are actually exhibiting some of those characteristics with your comments here lol.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:33 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,047 times
Let me see if I can steer this conversation back to my original point.

Watching the State of the Union last night and listening to Trump go on and on about the suffering and greatness of the Jews was cringeworthy. As a Jew myself, I didn't feel honored- it was almost embarrassing because it was so much it made me think he was trying to cover for deep seeded hatred he might have for us.

It feels that same way when I see my liberal friends virtue signalling about their live for certain other minority cultures.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:29 PM

209 posts, read 160,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I have a question for many of the non-white people on this board -

Do you ever find it patronizing, insulting, condescending or just plain weird that some white people love to brag on social media or in person about their supposed friendships, cultural events they've attended or books they've read related to experiences of nonwhites?

To give my question more context, here are a few examples to further illustrate my point:

4. I'm white and my wife is Indian so I asked her about the same question earlier today and she said "No, it doesn't bother me, but we think it's funny." She also told me a story about how some whites in the US have been surprised that she didn't hold certain views on politics and race

I'm just wondering what other non-whites think the same way as my wife.

Funny how? I mean, what’s funny about it?
I make you laugh? I’m here to phukin’ amuse you? Waddya mean “funny”? Funny how? How am I funny?
How the phuk am I funny? What the phuk is so funny about me? Tell me. Tell me what’s funny.

Joking aside, as a brown minority, I do see it happen and I think white people mean well but it comes
off fake and sometimes stupid. But, in some ways at least they are trying to learn my culture or at least
make it look like they are trying. It can go both ways too. I've been in countries where white people are adored and put on a white pedestal. It's amazing how people in this country brag to have a white friend or white friends. It's almost a status symbol. People in this country actually brag that their next door neighbor is white. I guess it comes from a colonial mentality. As you can see it goes both ways.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:45 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
I have a question for many of the non-white people on this board -

Do you ever find it patronizing, insulting, condescending or just plain weird that some white people love to brag on social media or in person about their supposed friendships, cultural events they've attended or books they've read related to experiences of nonwhites?

To give my question more context, here are a few examples to further illustrate my point:

1. A few years ago, I worked in a office where 5 of us were white and there was 1 black woman. For some reason, whenever the black woman was in the room, one of the white women would always talk about some African American cultural event she had attended/or will attend over the weekend. Strangely enough, when the black woman left the company, I rarely heard about this white woman's cultural events anymore.

2. When Doug Jones beat Roy Moore in the special senate election, apparently a very high percentage of black women had voted for Jones (I think it was around 98%). After the election is seemed like every white person who supported Jones was "thanking black women" for the victory. Honestly, it was so over the top it
seemed a bit patronizing to me

3. I have a white facebook friend who loves to brag about books she's read by "POC" authors - and she believes that she's woke because she understands racism and multiculturalism better than the rest of us. She also lives in New Hampshire and has never actually lived in a town or neighborhood or visited a country where non-whites are in the majority.

4. I'm white and my wife is Indian so I asked her about the same question earlier today and she said "No, it doesn't bother me, but we think it's funny." She also told me a story about how some whites in the US have been surprised that she didn't hold certain views on politics and race

I'm just wondering what other non-whites think the same way as my wife.
NO. Not at all.

Otherwise, it's more the other minorities that I have issues with. I don't consider myself one of their "persons of colour". White liberals, blacks and Hispanics are surprised that I don't vote blue, that I voted for Trump and support a border wall and trying to prevent illegal immigration.

Yes, I know that I am not a white skinned person, however I don't have anything culturally in common with blacks or Hispanics... I don't consider myself a victim of a white society or white men. Quite the opposite, I am thankful for our America, first colonized by the white Brits, then taken over by American whites. And I see nothing at all wrong with a capitalistic society, and I don't hate the wealthy. And I am a more successful human being for acting more white and less Chinese in thought and culture.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:39 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
The added context did not help understanding your question. It appears you're trying to make a point by asking a veiled question. Am I right about that?

Old 02-07-2019, 11:00 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Let me see if I can steer this conversation back to my original point.

Watching the State of the Union last night and listening to Trump go on and on about the suffering and greatness of the Jews was cringeworthy. As a Jew myself, I didn't feel honored- it was almost embarrassing because it was so much it made me think he was trying to cover for deep seeded hatred he might have for us.

It feels that same way when I see my liberal friends virtue signalling about their live for certain other minority cultures.

I had to change when the only references to black people were "unemployment" and prisoners.

It was funny but typical as I noted - most conservatives relate black people to suffering, imprisonment, laziness, being uneducated, etc.

I think many people don't realize the things they are saying when they do so.

I noted to the bus man that he exhibits a lot of the "typically white" behaviors I, myself have noticed that whites have - meaning that whites typically believe that the majority of brown people fit a stereotype.

Both liberals and conservatives do this BTW. They just do them in their own different ways.

Recently, I've been seeing a lot of my liberal friends on social media express when someone asks "POC" their opinion about a topic (and FWIW the person who specifically asks for "POC" opinions are usually white liberals lol) that they, as white people have valid opinions too and that they "know the culture" whatever TF that means lol. I usually don't say anything, matter of fact, I never have about these silly questions and interactions that these people have. But anytime someone tries to impress me with liberal internet lingo about "privilege" and their assumption they know more about my culture than I do because they read books by "POC" (lol) all of it is silliness to me and I often wonder if they truly do believe the things they are saying and don't think they are silly.

As noted, I don't usually find these things condescending and they don't bother me. The only times it bothers me is when someone tries to associate me as being "special" which was hinted upon earlier, or some other "POC" because said person(s) don't fit their prejudicial stereotypes. White people have a habit of seemingly 100% buying into the idea that a stereotype is true for the majority of brown people in this country when they are not. And FWIW non-white people have similar views of whites in that they associate whites with specific stereotypes too. I remember one of the craziest ones for a guy I dated, he told me that "all" white people were rich lol....We had an argument about this since I grew up with a lot of poor white people and numerically there are more poor white people in this country than the entire population of blacks. He didn't believe me because he'd never met a poor white person. I told him he probably did but just didn't "see" it. Not everyone who is poor looks a certain way.

But the silly conversations about books and movies and wanting to highlight their reading lists or engage with the brown person at the office, it's just funny. Stereotyping is condescending for me, and makes a person come off as prejudice.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:20 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
People who are born and brought up in foreign countries will have a different experience then the ones who grew up here. It is not about Race in my opinion. I am a non-white. Actually I feel good if somebody is trying to show some interest in my culture. This is way better then not showing any interest at all I take it as an opportunity to tell them few things which they can showoff in front of other people if they wish. Other then that, it's not any big deal. This is more of American thing. In other countries, I have not witnessed such behaviour. There is nothing wrong in it.
For some people, it's cool to have friends from foreign culture. Or they have tried a food which they think resemble my culture. I consider it as a friendly gesture and positive thing. What else will they speak with a stranger or a foreigner?

Old 02-09-2019, 08:43 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Again, it just seems that you take great joy in not being associated with racist stereotypes of other Asians and that you are "special."

Sorry but you are not special. I don't know any Asians who fit the stereotypes people have of most Asians and as noted, I grew up with a lot of Asians and are still friends with them. I also have an in-law who is Asian. I don't know any Asians who are not first generation immigrants who speak with an accent. I also lived in Atlanta which is considered an "Asian Mecca" now and didn't know anyone other than visa workers from other countries who had an accent who were Asian.

Asians have been in America for a long time. The idea that you/they are "perpetual foreigners" is prejudiced and stereotypical.

Asians are typically considered LEGAL immigrants and are not compared to Latinos who are usually pegged as "illegals" so not sure why you even mentioned that. Are you even an immigrant? Where are you from? I thought you were from Louisiana.

In regards to the OP and your experiences, you actually detailed a LOT of what the OP is referencing. You are often prejudged and stereotyped to be some Asian stereotype until they get to know you and see that you are "special" to them (and yourself) by not fitting their racist stereotypes. This is no different from other racist stereotype situations that other minority groups encounter.

The idea that you admit the bold, yet seem to take great pride and joy by being deemed - basically a white southerner even though you are not white is very strange to me.

I know that "regular" means "white." I am not white and I don't have to be white to be "regular." Just like Asians aren't a stereotype, neither are black people and it is better to tell well meaning prejudiced people these things so they can hopefully use their minds and stop being racially prejudiced. As noted, it is usually conservatives who do this sort of thing. I encountered it a lot in the south when I lived there just because I didn't speak "ghetto" according to them. They basically had a prejudiced view of black people not being able to speak. This is common for many white people to believe. Just like it is common for them to believe that Asians don't speak English well or without an accent. A majority of black people speak common English just like a majority of American Asians speak English well and without an accent.

On the blue - you've described nearly all my uncles who are not southern. Americanism in America is very "regular" and common. You being American and liking American things is not uncommon for Asian Americans. Most Asian Americans I know like all sorts of music. What kind of music do you think they should/would like? If anything though I know more of them who like hip hop than anything else. Hip hop is the most popular music in America so that makes sense.
Most of the Asian Americans I've met from California actually are into things like anime, Korean dramas, pop music from Asian countries etc and sometimes follow fashion trends from Asia. I personally am not into any of those things. And yes country music, the NRA, pickup trucks etc are often seen as more "real America" than Starbucks, Priuses, etc. Many people here don't consider California or New York to be the "real America" btw so to be assimilated into the Deep South culture is often seen as more "American" than someone who is assimilated into Seattle or Portland. Not that the West Coast or Northeast isn't part of the USA, but there's something more authentically American about the South.

And its true....I see the world that gave rise to Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Elizabeth Pocahontas Warren, and Ocasia Cortez, the world of plastic bag taxes, fast food bans, etc and its very foreign to me.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I just gently advise them to learn more about my culture since it dominates the world and created every modern scientific genre and probably made life for them possible.
What did YOU create?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Nope, German-Norwegian the most gifted people in the world
Yeah, well they also created Auschwitz, Bergen-Belsen, Mauthausen, and Dachau.

So there’s that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies