Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 03:06 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
My son is an Anime fanatic. He learned how to draw in that style as a kid. I don’t get the obsession, but then Speed Racer was my favorite cartoon as a kid, and I had no idea that it was Anime.
So is my daughter. She's watching that stuff to help her learn Japanese.

I liked Speed Racer too as a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 03:15 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackknationalist View Post
This poster seems like the uncle ruckus of the Asian community...I have come across black people with similar attitudes and it is really sad. Be proud of ALL your backgrounds.
I'll have to remember that one, thank you for the reference!

Old 02-10-2019, 05:09 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I have a question for many of the non-white people on this board -

Do you ever find it patronizing, insulting, condescending or just plain weird that some white people love to brag on social media or in person about their supposed friendships, cultural events they've attended or books they've read related to experiences of nonwhites?

To give my question more context, here are a few examples to further illustrate my point:

1. A few years ago, I worked in a office where 5 of us were white and there was 1 black woman. For some reason, whenever the black woman was in the room, one of the white women would always talk about some African American cultural event she had attended/or will attend over the weekend. Strangely enough, when the black woman left the company, I rarely heard about this white woman's cultural events anymore.

2. When Doug Jones beat Roy Moore in the special senate election, apparently a very high percentage of black women had voted for Jones (I think it was around 98%). After the election is seemed like every white person who supported Jones was "thanking black women" for the victory. Honestly, it was so over the top it
seemed a bit patronizing to me

3. I have a white facebook friend who loves to brag about books she's read by "POC" authors - and she believes that she's woke because she understands racism and multiculturalism better than the rest of us. She also lives in New Hampshire and has never actually lived in a town or neighborhood or visited a country where non-whites are in the majority.

4. I'm white and my wife is Indian so I asked her about the same question earlier today and she said "No, it doesn't bother me, but we think it's funny." She also told me a story about how some whites in the US have been surprised that she didn't hold certain views on politics and race

I'm just wondering what other non-whites think the same way as my wife.
According to my nonwhite husband, it’s a not-so-subtle way for white people to let him know that they aren’t white supremicists. While it’s mildly embarrassing and kind of patronizing, but it is well-intentioned, and much more welcome than the overt racism and xenophobia that he faces most days, excused by a “Oh, I thought you were Italian” or “Why should it bother you; you were born here?”

Old 02-10-2019, 05:29 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I have a question for many of the non-white people on this board -

Do you ever find it patronizing, insulting, condescending or just plain weird that some white people love to brag on social media or in person about their supposed friendships, cultural events they've attended or books they've read related to experiences of nonwhites?

To give my question more context, here are a few examples to further illustrate my point:

1. A few years ago, I worked in a office where 5 of us were white and there was 1 black woman. For some reason, whenever the black woman was in the room, one of the white women would always talk about some African American cultural event she had attended/or will attend over the weekend. Strangely enough, when the black woman left the company, I rarely heard about this white woman's cultural events anymore.

2. When Doug Jones beat Roy Moore in the special senate election, apparently a very high percentage of black women had voted for Jones (I think it was around 98%). After the election is seemed like every white person who supported Jones was "thanking black women" for the victory. Honestly, it was so over the top it
seemed a bit patronizing to me

3. I have a white facebook friend who loves to brag about books she's read by "POC" authors - and she believes that she's woke because she understands racism and multiculturalism better than the rest of us. She also lives in New Hampshire and has never actually lived in a town or neighborhood or visited a country where non-whites are in the majority.

4. I'm white and my wife is Indian so I asked her about the same question earlier today and she said "No, it doesn't bother me, but we think it's funny." She also told me a story about how some whites in the US have been surprised that she didn't hold certain views on politics and race

I'm just wondering what other non-whites think the same way as my wife.
Liberals think of minorities as their pets and their projects. I am gay and have experienced it many times a well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies