Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 01:21 PM

1,062 posts, read 980,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Based on the examples you gave, it would seem that Austin is a good place for dating as long as you are interested in someone who is white or atleast evidently mixed with white.

I think earthisle's point is that if you are a person of color more or less exclusively interested in other people of color you might find Austin to be lacking.
No, if you aren't white you are disadvantaged. People who are half white may be fine, I don't know. But I do know that my black friends have had zero luck in dating in Austin. One friend says the only person she has found in several years was a Nigerian guy

Online dating is mostly white, and they are generally only interested in whites. 90% of white people marry other white people. The second biggest group is Hispanic, so if you're Hispanic it seems like you can do OK. But everyone else is out of luck

Old 02-05-2019, 01:37 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
Huh, well, that's weird. I dated a half black, half Norwegian guy here in Austin, and then dated a half Japanese, half Dutch dude for five years. One of my friends is a self-described "Mexorean" (half Mexican, half Korean) and he has not lacked for dates either--he is a really awesome human and had I ever been single at the same time he was, I certainly would have considered it. I know two other interracial couples (one black man, white woman, and one white man, black woman) who are dating but not married.

And that's just the heterosexuals. I know several interracial gay and lesbian couples. I have probably a higher-than-average percentage of ***** friends than many people, and I will say that interracial dating seems to be somewhat more prevalent among that social circle, but I definitely see it happening all around here.

Are you sure it's just not for you, earthisle?
This is absolutely true, in perception at least if not reality. Remember that group of black friends I was telling you guys about from UT, where they all left Austin after graduation? Not so much the men, but the women in particular cited a lack of interest from the small black male population in Austin - in other words, their perception was that black guys in Austin weren't that common in the first place (especially with respect to their expectations in terms of education, socioeconomics, etc.) and that most of the ones there weren't interested in black women anyway. I can't necessarily gauge how much of that is truth, and how much is just perception, but that was a very common refrain I heard when I was there. It's hard for me to say because the small group of black guys I knew all tended to date black women. That's certainly not to say that was reflective of Austin as a whole though.

Now my first year I was there I was already in a relationship that started in Houston, but the second year I was single and dated a little bit before I realized I was going to leave anyway (for primarily professional reasons). My perception was that plenty of people of all races and genders expected me to be dating white women. Plenty of people just assumed my preference because, hey, you're in Austin - if you wanted to date black women why would you be here? This was often missing fact that grad school is not undergrad - dating is down the list of things to do at that particular point lol. Black people and white people both would make this assumption quite often. Anecdotally, it did seem like interracial dating was more popular in Austin than anywhere else I've ever lived, with the possible exception of LA.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:44 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Sorry, I should have excluded Asian females, who are very well liked by white males.
She just came over to my house for a mid-afternoon rendez-vous and back out now. I'm happy

Old 02-05-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Anecdotally, it did seem like interracial dating was more popular in Austin than anywhere else I've ever lived, with the possible exception of LA.
That's interesting... I see far less interracial dating here aside from white male/asian female.

I remember being shocked when I got some new neighbors, an Indian husband and white wife. That's just a combination you never see

Old 02-05-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
No, if you aren't white you are disadvantaged. People who are half white may be fine, I don't know. But I do know that my black friends have had zero luck in dating in Austin. One friend says the only person she has found in several years was a Nigerian guy

Online dating is mostly white, and they are generally only interested in whites. 90% of white people marry other white people. The second biggest group is Hispanic, so if you're Hispanic it seems like you can do OK. But everyone else is out of luck
I dated a 100% black woman from Cameroon, she was able to get a lot of white guys, but she was extremely hot so that may have had something to do with it.

I'm an equal opportunity dater. If she's hot, I want it!

Old 02-05-2019, 01:48 PM

393 posts, read 409,323 times
I enjoyed the part where she said the morning after Trump's victory she just laid in bed and pondered...how bad it would be...etc...on and on. I stopped there. I hated Obama's guts but I didn't lay in bed all depressed and wondering how bad it would be...Snowflake

Old 02-05-2019, 02:06 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
She just came over to my house for a mid-afternoon rendez-vous and back out now. I'm happy
TMI part 1

Old 02-05-2019, 02:08 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
I dated a 100% black woman from Cameroon, she was able to get a lot of white guys, but she was extremely hot so that may have had something to do with it.

TMI part 2

Old 02-05-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:

That's just one anecdotal example though, and you're talking about dating someone for a period of time and then no longer after that. A Cameroon woman cycling through white guys isn't a success story!

https://statisticalatlas.com/county/...Marital-Status

50% of whites and 57% of Asians are married

But only 35% of black and mixed are married

Old 02-05-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
That's just one anecdotal example though, and you're talking about dating someone for a period of time and then no longer after that. A Cameroon woman cycling through white guys isn't a success story!

https://statisticalatlas.com/county/...Marital-Status

50% of whites and 57% of Asians are married

But only 35% of black and mixed are married
Why is marriage the definition of success? What's wrong with "cycling" through people?

If she is having fun and so is he isn't that all that counts? The point is that she was able to "get" white guys and the fact that she cycled through a lot of white guys means that she knows what she's doing.

There are a lot of serial monogamous women, both white and black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies