Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 12:03 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
So my experience here dating being a tall successful black man is interesting. I personally have dated outside of my race (latina, white) but have dated black women. I have been successful because I am charismatic for the most part (lol) and an extroverted person. With that said I do find myself having to grind and put myself out there here. I have secured dates with successful, attractive women but encounter a lot of flakes.

Even still sometimes I know my "brand" isn't always what people want. I have been the type of black man that some women will "try" because they haven't dated black men or have limited experience. It is also funny that I am competing with hipster white dudes for the same dating space.

I would align more politically libertarian and clean cut so I know I don't mess with some of the hippie chicks here. I feel like I need to be some sort of black caricature to be more appealing but that isn't my style.

I feel Hispanic men have a better chance b/c I think Mexican culture is, in some respects, fetishized here. My Asian friend who I find very good looking does pretty well but he has echoed some struggles of dating as a minority in a white area and being clean cut as well.

I would still think I would have more success in Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, or DC.
The women that are "trying" you out want to know if what they say about black men is true.

Why is it surprising you're competing with hipster white men? Aren't you their same age?

I don't understand why Mexican culture is "fetishized?" That makes no sense. Yes we like Mexican food but that's because it's so darn tasty. Can you explain?

I do agree that blacks would have more success in bigger cities.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:05 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Are prices racist now?
They are if they are a result of zoning that prevents additional inventory to be created that would be more affordable.

Zoning was originally created to as a way to drive segregation (NYC)

Old 02-10-2019, 12:16 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Excellent post. It seems like nowadays everyone that considers themselves a member of a 'minority group' (black, Hispanic, women, LGBTQ, etc) spends a lot of time looking for trouble that may or not be there.
"Everyone"? You have absolutely no basis for that statement. Stop watching fake news, maybe.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:23 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
They are if they are a result of zoning that prevents additional inventory to be created that would be more affordable.

Zoning was originally created to as a way to drive segregation (NYC)
Hi Austin97--
Just in case you're confused about the part of the thread that your comment is in response to, please review.

ashbeeigh:
Did you read the part of her article that discussed pushing minorities to the east side?

AguaDulce:
That's history. The city is not pushing minorities to the east side.

ashbeeigh:
But prices are.

supfromthesite:
Are prices racist now?

Austin97:
They are if they are a result of zoning that prevents additional inventory to be created that would be more affordable. Zoning was originally created to as a way to drive segregation (NYC).

My point is that I'm confused by your post. I admit that I have a reading comprehension problem sometimes.

Last edited by AguaDulce; 02-10-2019 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-10-2019, 12:47 PM

502 posts, read 391,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
I feel like San Antonio dating scene is due to the lack of eligible bachelors. SA is a socially conservative city in which many people marry/co habitate young. If you're a single man you will encounter a lot of single mothers.

What has been your issues with dating in San Antonio? I felt as a black man in SA that since I wasn't a "gringo" or a Latino that was from there I had a hard time. Austin dating has been far more successful for me because of it being such a transient city.
I think my issues have been the same as yours; I'm Latino but not from San Antonio and not Mexican (I'm from South America) so I think I'm having the same struggle as you did.

I feel like if you're anything that deviates from a Mexican-american from the area or white guy then the women here don't know what box to put you in and won't be interested in you. Like they're not really interested in dealing with people from different cultures.

I get the impression that Austin is more open to people from different walks of life in general. I do imagine that places like Houston, DC, etc would be even more so.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:57 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
I think my issues have been the same as yours; I'm Latino but not from San Antonio and not Mexican (I'm from South America) so I think I'm having the same struggle as you did.

I feel like if you're anything that deviates from a Mexican-american from the area or white guy then the women here don't know what box to put you in and won't be interested in you.
Don't know about that. I've seen more Black man + Hispanic woman couples there than could probably be found in any other city in America.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:11 PM

785 posts, read 953,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The women that are "trying" you out want to know if what they say about black men is true.

Why is it surprising you're competing with hipster white men? Aren't you their same age?

I don't understand why Mexican culture is "fetishized?" That makes no sense. Yes we like Mexican food but that's because it's so darn tasty. Can you explain?

I do agree that blacks would have more success in bigger cities.
I've heard the fetishized thing before from Hispanics here. The prominence of dance like salsa and tango, the Tex Mex mixture and such. It's similar to the stereotype of Latin America culture being passionate. I could be wrong. Again I'm not Hispanic.

I'm not surprised about hipsters but it's just funny because I'm totally the opposite of that. I guess it goes back to my former statement of women wanting to "try" a black man out.

I will say though I've had dates with career women also that better align with my lifestyle.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:14 PM

785 posts, read 953,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post

I feel like if you're anything that deviates from a Mexican-american from the area or white guy then the women here don't know what box to put you in and won't be interested in you. Like they're not really interested in dealing with people from different cultures.

I get the impression that Austin is more open to people from different walks of life in general. I do imagine that places like Houston, DC, etc would be even more so.
I feel you brother. San Antonio never felt inclusive to me. I have described it to others as a big small town. I feel many people there only know what's within a 50 mile radius from them.

I have been criticized in person for trashing San Antonio but I don't know what people expect if they ask me of an honest assessment of my experience there.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:20 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Hi Austin97--
Just in case you're confused about the part of the thread that your comment is in response to, please review.

ashbeeigh:
Did you read the part of her article that discussed pushing minorities to the east side?

AguaDulce:
That's history. The city is not pushing minorities to the east side.

ashbeeigh:
But prices are.

supfromthesite:
Are prices racist now?

Austin97:
They are if they are a result of zoning that prevents additional inventory to be created that would be more affordable. Zoning was originally created to as a way to drive segregation (NYC).

My point is that I'm confused by your post. I admit that I have a reading comprehension problem sometimes.

yes my point stands. Zoning was originally created as a tool to enforce segregation. Zoning restricted affordable housing since day 1. That same zoning in austin prevents density and directly causes our skyrocketing prices that keep minorities out of west side neighborhoods. That same zoning is causing prices to rise on the east side driving minorities out of the east side.

Many people dont understand the history of zoning and naively believe that prices are simply market driven and therefore cant be racist. High prices arent automatically racist, but when they are driven by govt restrictions on inventory, then they are.

replacing blocks of single family homes with row houses can triple or even quadruple inventory that are still compatible with families. Above that in density is the mixed use multifamily with retail on the ground floor and 4-6 stories of apartments above. Both of these modes are still human scale.

Here is an example of townhomes in the woodlands that are very nice. They are currently not possible in the vast majority of austin.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:31 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
yes my point stands. Zoning was originally created as a tool to enforce segregation. Zoning restricted affordable housing since day 1. That same zoning in austin prevents density and directly causes our skyrocketing prices that keep minorities out of west side neighborhoods. That same zoning is causing prices to rise on the east side driving minorities out of the east side.

Many people dont understand the history of zoning and naively believe that prices are simply market driven and therefore cant be racist. High prices arent automatically racist, but when they are driven by govt restrictions on inventory, then they are.

replacing blocks of single family homes with row houses can triple or even quadruple inventory that are still compatible with families. Above that in density is the mixed use multifamily with retail on the ground floor and 4-6 stories of apartments above. Both of these modes are still human scale.

Here is an example of townhomes in the woodlands that are very nice. They are currently not possible in the vast majority of austin.
I was confused because it seems like zoning in East Austin allows for multifamily units replacing single-family and is still far too expensive for most people because the market will bear the higher prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies