Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the Democrats' new abortion position?
Yes, choosing whether a baby lives or dies after birth is a decision between a woman and her doctor. 15 11.45%
No, this is premeditated murder. 108 82.44%
Not sure/don't know/undecided/other 8 6.11%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 10:51 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Funny because since Roe vs. Wade, the Republican party has chosen NOT to make abortion a primary mandate of any major campaign.

Why? Because those Independent, swing voters don't have the same issue with abortion that the conservatives do -- they just don't.

This whole bringing it to the fore front may be problematic. Swing voters are not anti- choice...they just aren't.
I think the only reason alot of full blown republicans are republican is because of social issues and not fiscal issues. If those issues went away I think there would be WAY more people voting democrat than just todays swing voters.

I know I would not vote republican if the democrates could demonstrate they no longer had a hard on for gun control and killing babies.

I dont think business should be able to do what ever they want its making me sick watching white collar crimes go unpunished (as in decades in jail punished for fiscal debacles).

IF a third party came in that was fiscally democrat and socailly republican they would have a ton of support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 11:06 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
The argument is that the baby is owned by the mother because it is in her body. Therefore, she gets to decide if the baby lives or dies.
Can you cite cases whereby a baby has been born then legally put to death? Having an abortion is one thing but after the baby is born it has rights that have nothing to do with abortion.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:08 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I am sure Roadking would rather have the government decide how many fruitless treatments his terminally ill child should be forced to endure before it was allowed to die. As a parent, he shouldn't be allowed to make that decision.

In fact, whenever a child is seriously ill there should be a government appointed guardian making all medical decisions.....the parents should not have a say.

/sarcasm
And it is happening in England. Alfie Evens and Charlie Gard
2 recent cases where the govt stepped in and let the toddlers die over the parents wishes.
Parents were NOT permitted custody of their children.
Parents were not permitted to move their children to other hospitals.
Parents were given police to ensure they did not take their own children. POLICE.
Parents were not permitted to pay for alternate care out of pocket, not taxpayers money.

Govt let the children DIE.

Parents? Who needs a parent? Just let the govt take your kid from the womb to the grave. Literally.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:38 AM

1,065 posts, read 597,490 times
Good catch. There is another reason why people abort in the last trimester: to prevent septis after the infant dies in-utero. These people get turned away from some hospitals because of the third trimester abortion illogic, instead of the real reason: preventing the mother from septis. I'm just grateful that all these situations are rare causing rare third trimester abortions.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:07 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Good catch. There is another reason why people abort in the last trimester: to prevent septis after the infant dies in-utero. These people get turned away from some hospitals because of the third trimester abortion illogic, instead of the real reason: preventing the mother from septis. I'm just grateful that all these situations are rare causing rare third trimester abortions.
Unless the chicken doctors send the mother of a dead fetus home to wait on nature to take its course hoping septis doesn't kill her first. Happened to a relative of mine.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:07 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
This bill would not make Gosnells crimes legal. The law allows abortions after 24 weeks only in the case of non viability, or risk of maternal death, or risk to maternal health. It also allows parents to make the decision to not put a non viable newborn on life support.

No woman would be allowed to pop in at 30 weeks and say she changed her mind and get a legal abortion.
Virginia allows third-trimester abortions if three physicians certify that an abortion is necessary to save the woman's life, or that continuing the pregnancy would "substantially and irremediably" impair her mental or physical health.

Tran’s bill proposed to lower the authorization from three physicians to one. That doctor would only have to certify that the pregnancy would impair her mental or physical health. The "substantial and irremediable" threshold would have been repealed.

If the bill had passed, a woman still couldn't legally abort because she simply 'changed her mind.' She could, however, legally abort if one doctor determined the pregnancy is causing the woman depression or anxiety.

Would those changes mean dozens of women would rush to find a doctor who'd perform a 3rd trimester abortion ? Of course not. otoh, the changes [supported by Planned Parenthood] are significant and both Tran and Northam tried to pretend otherwise.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:21 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Virginia allows third-trimester abortions if three physicians certify that an abortion is necessary to save the woman's life, or that continuing the pregnancy would "substantially and irremediably" impair her mental or physical health.

Tran’s bill proposed to lower the authorization from three physicians to one. That doctor would only have to certify that the pregnancy would impair her mental or physical health. The "substantial and irremediable" threshold would have been repealed.

If the bill had passed, a woman still couldn't legally abort because she simply 'changed her mind.' She could, however, legally abort if one doctor determined the pregnancy is causing the woman depression or anxiety.

Would those changes mean dozens of women would rush to find a doctor who'd perform a 3rd trimester abortion ? Of course not. otoh, the changes [supported by Planned Parenthood] are significant and both Tran and Northam tried to pretend otherwise.
Please show me where any doctor has allowed a third trimester abortion due to depression. Canada has no legal restrictions on abortion so there should be plenty of cases where depression or anxiety is listed as the reason for abortion.

Sorry but I'm not buying the idea that doctors are going to sign off on depression or anxiety to allow a third trimester abortion.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:28 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Please show me where any doctor has allowed a third trimester abortion due to depression. Canada has no legal restrictions on abortion so there should be plenty of cases where depression or anxiety is listed as the reason for abortion.

Sorry but I'm not buying the idea that doctors are going to sign off on depression or anxiety to allow a third trimester abortion.
Agree. I believe the words "substantial and irremediable" were removed from the mental health aspect of it because those words were also an interpretation issue that would have to be adjudicated probably by a court.

As it should, the approval of a late term abortion should be left up to the patient's attending physician who knows all aspects of the case. We have to assume that licensed physicians who have taken an oath to do no harm, are going to stand by that. I suppose, though, we can bring up the "zebras" that have done harm, but they are not the norm and, thankfully, rare and punished by law.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:23 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And it is happening in England. Alfie Evens and Charlie Gard
2 recent cases where the govt stepped in and let the toddlers die over the parents wishes.
Parents were NOT permitted custody of their children.
Parents were not permitted to move their children to other hospitals.
Parents were given police to ensure they did not take their own children. POLICE.
Parents were not permitted to pay for alternate care out of pocket, not taxpayers money.

Govt let the children DIE.

Parents? Who needs a parent? Just let the govt take your kid from the womb to the grave. Literally.
Well, isn't that what you want? .....government intervention?..... parent's wishes overruled?.....choice taken away?

Can't have it both ways.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:37 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:

Funny how when it comes to abortion the right loves to go to extreme scenarios citing things that will probably never happen, yet when it comes to gun control, actual worse case scenarios don't bother them one damn bit.

https://www.newsweek.com/guns-kids-t...e-death-627209

Quote:
The study also found that an average of 1,297 children die annually from gun-related injuries, making guns the third-leading cause of death for children in America (behind illnesses and unintentional injuries like drownings or car crashes).

Last edited by Annie53; 02-07-2019 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies