Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the Democrats' new abortion position?
Yes, choosing whether a baby lives or dies after birth is a decision between a woman and her doctor. 15 11.45%
No, this is premeditated murder. 108 82.44%
Not sure/don't know/undecided/other 8 6.11%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 11:53 AM

17,457 posts, read 6,784,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Majority of Americans are against late term abortion and have always been, long before Trump was President. I've never understood why, if the baby is practically full term, it wouldn't just be delivered and given away.
The argument is that the baby is owned by the mother because it is in her body. Therefore, she gets to decide if the baby lives or dies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 11:53 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,482,511 times
So you obviously have no clue what those new laws actually call for. Read what was actually passed not what anti-choice pundits say. Personally I applaud them.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:54 AM

17,457 posts, read 6,784,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So you obviously have no clue what those new laws actually call for. Read what was actually passed not what anti-choice pundits say. Personally I applaud them.
I heard exactly what Northam said. If he doesn't understand the laws he's discussing, then he should explain himself. He hasn't.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:56 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,595,620 times
Ahh, another thread where a conservative proves how ignorant they are in regards to the bills and the positions. You know, you guys just keep proving how little truth and facts matter to you. It is, in the words of your orange king, "Sad..."

Old 02-06-2019, 11:58 AM

3,014 posts, read 2,218,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Agreed. Honestly, this is nothing new you guys. Far too many babies die shortly before or shortly after birth. You could blame it on the mother or the doctor for not acting soon enough or aggressively enough. Or, you could codify the right to allow a severely disabled baby to rest comfortably in the mother's arms for his final hours instead of legally requiring aggressive interventions that would only prolong the suffering.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:59 AM

8,453 posts, read 4,502,573 times
More unfounded hysteria from the ignorant right.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:00 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,657,184 times
I support anything that means that women and infants will not have to suffer needlessly.
I also support people knowing WTH they are talking about before starting threads.

"CNN: What does the phrase "late-term abortion" mean to you?

Dr. Barbara Levy: The phrase "late-term abortion" is medically inaccurate and has no clinical meaning. In science and medicine, it's essential to use language precisely. In pregnancy, to be "late term" means to be past 41 weeks gestation, or past a patient's due date. Abortions do not occur in this time period, so the phrase is contradictory.

Dr. Jennifer Conti: In obstetrics, we don't divide pregnancies into terms. "Late term" is an invention of anti-abortion extremists to confuse, mislead and increase stigma. The appropriate language is "abortions later in pregnancy.""

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/06/healt...ner/index.html

Don't like CNN?

"Dr. Daniel Grossman, an abortion and contraception researcher and director of Advancing New Standards in Reproductive Health, also addressed this terminology in a February 1 tweet, writing that "'Late term abortion' isn't a medical term."
In a recent viral thread on Twitter, gynecologist Dr. Jen Gunter also addressed medical reasons for abortions.

"I've done abortions after 24 weeks, she wrote. "I have never done one that was not medically indicated. I was never approached by any woman to do a non medically indicated abortion...Anyone, especially any doctor, who says these are not [medically] indicated is wrong.""

https://www.thisisinsider.com/what-i...ts-done-2019-2

Old 02-06-2019, 12:01 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,203,413 times
It's far more complicated then you portray it. Delivering a healthy baby and then killing it is not an option. If the baby is on life support, with major health problems, deformities, quality of life issues is when this comes into play.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:02 PM

13,673 posts, read 8,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I heard exactly what Northam said. If he doesn't understand the laws he's discussing, then he should explain himself. He hasn't.

Well, he has:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/31/polit...ion/index.html

I agree that during the interview he used a poor choice of words, but even then he as not advocating the killing of a just-born alive child. No one is.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:04 PM

26,659 posts, read 26,633,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Just wondering how people feel about the Democrats' new abortion position. That position was articulated by Virginia Governor Ralph Northam, when he stated that one option would be to deliver the baby, make him or her comfortable, and then have a discussion with the mother about whether the baby should live or die.
You need to make it clear what Northam actually said, and not take his comments out of context. He is referring to third trimester abortions.

"When we talk about third-trimester abortions, these are done with the consent of obviously the mother, with the consent of the physicians, more than one physician, by the way," Northam said. "And it's done in cases where there may be severe deformities, there may be a fetus that's non-viable. So in this particular example, if a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen. The infant would be delivered. The infant would be kept comfortable. The infant would be resuscitated if that's what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/virgini...ay-2019-01-30/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies