Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 11:32 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
The thing is...he was acting out at the time, and he realized how messed up it was. Everybody make mistakes and do dumb things in life. That doesn't mean they are racists or can't change that behavior. His biggest mistake, is that he opened his big mouth and said something. Maybe it's his age that makes him ramble too much.
He's been a bit odd since his wife died.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:32 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I mean...if you only knew what goes through people's minds at all times.
You might want to lock yourself up forever.
So very true!!! Just watch the Mel Gibson movie, What Women Want, and the new movie What Men Want.

While it wasn't smart for Liam Neeson to share what he did with that journalist, I applaud his honesty. And I don't find anything wrong with his initial feelings of anger, and how, without therapy, he worked through that anger and didn't hurt any innocent people. I say that instead of criticizing him, we can all use what he went through as a very teachable learning experience for anyone who has ever been wronged directly or indirectly, and then had very vengeful feelings afterwards...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 11:35 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well, I’m pretty sure he had to have run across a lot of blacks. Why didn’t he do something?

Meh...I take it with a grain of salt. I have my doubts that he meant what he said.
Because he knew it was wrong and he was just angry and frustrated. The way people get when something terrible happens and they cannot do anything to fix it.

Men, in particular, tend to be fixers. They see some problem, they want to fix it.

But, he knew that harming an innocent person would not fix it, because you know he saw plenty of black men during that time period and he didn't harm any of them.

I do think that if we plan to punish people for thought crimes, I want us to have some cool empaths in a pool someplace and Tom Cruise and his crazy, Scientology ass running around with high-tech gear before we get that system up and running.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:13 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I have to answer my own question. Liam did mention that his reaction was not specific to the fact that it was a black person. He said he would have been looking for an Irish man, Lithuanian, etc if that had been who had violated his friend. That points to more of an anger issue, not specifically a racist; although some of his wording referring to black people was not appropriate. It happened so long ago, and seems like water under the bridge now and he has apologized.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/2775490002
Nice to know that we have a video record of him clarifying that he would have sought out a White person had the rapist been White. Of course, the race-baiting folks might twist even that to say "He is racist but is denying it".

Old 02-05-2019, 12:15 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Because he knew it was wrong and he was just angry and frustrated. The way people get when something terrible happens and they cannot do anything to fix it.

Men, in particular, tend to be fixers. They see some problem, they want to fix it.

But, he knew that harming an innocent person would not fix it, because you know he saw plenty of black men during that time period and he didn't harm any of them.

I do think that if we plan to punish people for thought crimes, I want us to have some cool empaths in a pool someplace and Tom Cruise and his crazy, Scientology ass running around with high-tech gear before we get that system up and running.

In addition, traditionally, it was up to the menfolk to defend a woman's honor. Even now, there are still honor killings going on in really old school traditional cultures.

Some black man raped a woman who was part of Liam Neeson's tribe, and with his Anglo upbringing, his instincts were telling him to right a wrong and avenge the rape. But he worked through it and no innocent black man was harmed in the process.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:17 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Why didn't he just keep this to himself...???

Is he TRYING to upset the public or still feeling murderous, or what?
I'm in agreement. It's not what he said that was wrong. It's the timing on what he said. Right now in America we going through this cultural social and political epoch at this very moment. He revelaled detailed information on what he attended to do to a black person some 30 odd years ago. Let the past be the past. Move on, nothing to see here.

I'm sure liam Neeson is a good person, but his action that he intended to due was in poor light, not then, but it is poor light now. Overall he should have kept the comment to himself until this heightened social, political, cultural epoch dies down in the Anglo Saxon world. Even if he revealed himself about this manner pre trump era. Those that are radical who have re exposed this information and liam Neeson would receive some flak, but not as bad as revealing such information now.

We must remember that liam or no one is not perfect, even as an adult. Puritanism runs high in the academic world in Anglo Saxon thought process, thus if an adult does something wrong he or she knew better then and now. Which I do understand, but again no one is perfect. This is why sinners who commit crime in form of an action go to prison or jail. Liam is a person and he has feelings, his beta male simp emotions go to the best of him in which he nearly committed a crime.

It's going to be real hard for those that believe in intersectionality to respect him, honesty, but also to have forgiveness when someone is being honest and speaking truth to the things that they have done in the past that is morally wrong now. We can't not move as one in society unless their is an clear Avenue of forgiveness.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-05-2019 at 02:29 PM..

Old 02-05-2019, 02:21 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
To put this in an important perspective, I will start with some things that happened in my life. During middle school and high school, I got bullied by several White kids, violently in some cases. If we are to go off of what Liam Neeson felt, you could argue that I would have been justified for lashing out at every White person I saw. I didn't lash out at every White person I saw. I also have experiences where I got bullied on the job by some Hispanic co-workers of mine, and it was often of a racial nature. I never went out and lashed out on Hispanics.

If I can go through that and not have this "go lash out on Whites and Hispanics", then it's hard for me to fathom why Liam Neeson would want to go out and kill any random Black person. I personally went through alot and I can still go out there, with no racial animosity towards anyone.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:22 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

I think it's simpler than that, assaulting another human being is illegal. Obviously Liam harbored immoral thoughts, but I think what stopped his fantasies from becoming a reality was fear of the consequences.

Anyways, good on Neeson for admitting these dark thoughts. We shouldn't crucify him, but instead have a dialog about it.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:34 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
To put this in an important perspective, I will start with some things that happened in my life. During middle school and high school, I got bullied by several White kids, violently in some cases. If we are to go off of what Liam Neeson felt, you could argue that I would have been justified for lashing out at every White person I saw. I didn't lash out at every White person I saw. I also have experiences where I got bullied on the job by some Hispanic co-workers of mine, and it was often of a racial nature. I never went out and lashed out on Hispanics.

If I can go through that and not have this "go lash out on Whites and Hispanics", then it's hard for me to fathom why Liam Neeson would want to go out and kill any random Black person. I personally went through alot and I can still go out there, with no racial animosity towards anyone.
I don't believe for one second you did not wish revenge. You just didn't announce it like he did.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:40 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Hearing these dark thoughts from Neeson does give me reason to be concerned, even fearful. I am a Black man, and I often have to wonder what some people might think of me. I sometimes wonder if some persons do fear. I'm not a large guy by any means. However, there are times when I do wonder if someone looks down on me, or even fears me. And then I have to think how things historically have been, with Black people, especially Black men, being looked down on and feared, regardless of whether Blacks were committing crimes or not. And then I hear this from Liam Neeson. I wonder if it could be me that might get killed. I don't like wondering if someone fears me or looks down on me. I can't do much about some criminal who happens to be Black, other than turn said person over to the police if I see a crime committed. Thugs don't listen to anyone and don't really care if they themselves live or die. I care though. I'm trying to live my best life.

I thought about someone who lost a family member at the hands of criminals who happened to be Black. As sorry as I was that she lost a family member, I also thought about this: Is this going to give her more reason to hate Black people? This did cross my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies