Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 02:40 PM

1,768 posts, read 565,548 times

Advertisements

We all have dark thoughts. Neeson confessed one of his.

What matter is that he DIDN'T and HASN'T chosen violence, not that he thought about it however long ago.

Edited to add: His new movie is about an obsessed father seeking revenge against the people who killed his son, which is why the subject came up in this interview. He shouldn't have said it, but it's not like he just blurted it out at random.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 02:46 PM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I don't believe for one second you did not wish revenge. You just didn't announce it like he did.
Then don't believe me. Like I said, I didn't go on and lash out on Whites as a whole or Hispanics as a whole. I had some anger issues, but I never the urge to lash out at a particular race or ethnicity. I made sure not to be like that. That would make me no better than the persons bullying and hurting me. If I had gone down the route of racial resentment, I would not have made some of the friends I did make, many who happened to be White and Hispanic.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:47 PM

20,703 posts, read 8,472,156 times
Good for Neesom not being intimidated into the leftist narrative. Perhaps since his wife died he realized life was too short to be bullied by showbiz nincompoops' virtue signalling.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,986,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Hearing these dark thoughts from Neeson does give me reason to be concerned, even fearful. I am a Black man, and I often have to wonder what some people might think of me. I sometimes wonder if some persons do fear. I'm not a large guy by any means. However, there are times when I do wonder if someone looks down on me, or even fears me. And then I have to think how things historically have been, with Black people, especially Black men, being looked down on and feared, regardless of whether Blacks were committing crimes or not. And then I hear this from Liam Neeson. I wonder if it could be me that might get killed. I don't like wondering if someone fears me or looks down on me. I can't do much about some criminal who happens to be Black, other than turn said person over to the police if I see a crime committed. Thugs don't listen to anyone and don't really care if they themselves live or die. I care though. I'm trying to live my best life.

I thought about someone who lost a family member at the hands of criminals who happened to be Black. As sorry as I was that she lost a family member, I also thought about this: Is this going to give her more reason to hate Black people? This did cross my mind.
I'm in agreement. Rep

Old 02-05-2019, 03:34 PM

1,804 posts, read 2,362,021 times
What Liam Neeson described is how boys like Trayvon Martin end up dead. When a black person is carrying the weight of all black sins and assumed as guilty & are walking targets for justice seeking vigilante white people. Are we meant to praise him cause he didn’t find a victim?

Old 02-05-2019, 04:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,543,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
What Liam Neeson described is how boys like Trayvon Martin end up dead. When a black person is carrying the weight of all black sins and assumed as guilty & are walking targets for justice seeking vigilante white people. Are we meant to praise him cause he didn’t find a victim?
Then I guess we know how cops are killed, right?

Old 02-05-2019, 04:09 PM

2,362 posts, read 773,505 times
Quote:
No, you're supposed to praise him for the courage to admit this in a society that wants to demonize people for these thoughts. People will have these thoughts irregardless if you demonize them, but the only way forward is honest conversation.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head there. This is something I personally wonder about. I do wonder how some people will perceive me.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm in agreement. Rep
You're one of a few who understand what I'm talking about. I can't praise Neeson. I have to wonder if someone might feel that way about me.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:30 PM

39,044 posts, read 27,462,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Hearing these dark thoughts from Neeson does give me reason to be concerned, even fearful. I am a Black man, and I often have to wonder what some people might think of me. I sometimes wonder if some persons do fear. I'm not a large guy by any means. However, there are times when I do wonder if someone looks down on me, or even fears me. And then I have to think how things historically have been, with Black people, especially Black men, being looked down on and feared, regardless of whether Blacks were committing crimes or not. And then I hear this from Liam Neeson. I wonder if it could be me that might get killed. I don't like wondering if someone fears me or looks down on me. I can't do much about some criminal who happens to be Black, other than turn said person over to the police if I see a crime committed. Thugs don't listen to anyone and don't really care if they themselves live or die. I care though. I'm trying to live my best life.

I thought about someone who lost a family member at the hands of criminals who happened to be Black. As sorry as I was that she lost a family member, I also thought about this: Is this going to give her more reason to hate Black people? This did cross my mind.
I understand what you are saying, but I don't think someone like Neeson is someone you should worry about.

In my opinion, (and this is nothing but an opinion), the ONLY trustworthy people are the ones who won't pretend to be perfect all the time.

Neeson also said, he now feels ashamed about it.

I know a person who is the social justice warrior type who cannot stand Republicans or Donald Trump. He once said, "All (yes, you heard me right, ALL) black people walk around with a constant chip on their shoulder feeling like the whole world owes them something" Of course he said it behind closed doors, he would never admit it in the classroom. (He was a college professor.)

I have a very close friend who didn't like black folks at all when he was a teenager. He completely changed his views after he joined Marine Corps. He always says, "I used to use N word, I'd admit it, but now I realized I was just being stupid." He is one of the most loving man I have known my entire life.

You cannot judge a person based on their past thought. When somebody admit they used to be wrong and they can face themselves honestly, give them credit and accept them as the people they are today. At least this is what I would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies