Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the Democrats extreme position on Abortion hurt or help them in 2020?
Help 7 8.86%
Hurt 47 59.49%
No difference 25 31.65%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 11:53 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Anyone who thinks they should have the right and the power to step between a doctor and their patient and make healthcare decisions in the doctor's place should be ashamed of themselves.
If I - or any taxpayer - is subsidizing the operation, then I have the power to step in and offer my opinion.

If you want exclusive doctor/patient privileges, then pay for it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 11:56 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
The good news for those on the pro life side the tide is turning in spite of the aggressive push by the abortion lobby.
What makes you think that?

"As of 2018, public support for legal abortion remains as high as it has been in two decades of polling. Currently, 58% say abortion should be legal in all or most cases, while 37% say it should be illegal in all or most cases."

Public Opinion on Abortion | Pew Research Center

Old 02-05-2019, 12:01 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
What makes you think that?

"As of 2018, public support for legal abortion remains as high as it has been in two decades of polling. Currently, 58% say abortion should be legal in all or most cases, while 37% say it should be illegal in all or most cases."

Public Opinion on Abortion | Pew Research Center
https://www.lifenews.com/2013/02/07/...ect-abortions/
The number of abortions has been decreasing that is what is important. Probably why the left does not want women/girls to see sonograms.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:07 PM

989 posts, read 455,702 times
Quote:
Quite the contrary, modest, common sense measures are being rolled back.

The common sense measures you speak of are actually purposeful impediments to make abortion harder to obtain.

During a 1st trimester abortion, one of the requirements that was added by the VA GOP a few years ago was to force a woman to have a trans-vaginal ultrasound prior to the procedure. There is absolutely no need for this to be done. It is invasive and expensive and is meant to delay or derail the abortion. Many doctors spoke out against this. The other "common sense" measure you speak of is that all abortions must be performed in a setting now deemed a "hospital." This means that in some states your access to where you can have this done are very limited. It's crazy considering many procedures that are much more difficult (vasectomy, colonoscopy, endometrial ablations, minor foot surgeries, wisdom tooth extractions, and so on) are routinely done in doctors offices.

You can dress up your "concern" as a common sense measure, but they are anything but common sense. They are obstructions and roadblocks. The constituents in many of these states that voted in Democratic representatives, did so because they were tired of the strong-arm, obstructionist laws put in place for a legal procedures. Just as Trump supporters claim that Trump has a mandate due to winning the election, so to do the voters of these states with regard to the abortion policies. You can agree with abortion or not but it is legal and calling these measures that are being rolled back "common sense" is either disingenuous or you really don't know what they are about.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
https://www.lifenews.com/2013/02/07/...ect-abortions/
The number of abortions has been decreasing that is what is important. Probably why the left does not want women/girls to see sonograms.
No, I'm not going to click on Lifenews. There is no less credible source of information on abortion than a pro-forced-birther site. Pure propaganda. But if the number of abortions are decreasing, what are you complaining about? That should make you happy.

But you are still wrong about the change in opinion about abortion in this country. A clear majority still want it to remain legal in all or almost all cases. Even your propaganda site can't dispute that.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:33 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,985,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Letting women be responsible for their own health insurance is not extreme. Politics should not be involved at all
Letting women be responsible for their own money is not extreme. Politics should not be involved at all
Letting women be responsible for their own guns is not extreme. Politics should not be involved at all
Politics should be involved to ensure our equality, not to discriminate against women.

When my husband and I bought our first house, I called the mortgage company about something. They refused to speak to me. They would only speak to my husband. Since then I've always discuss this ahead of time with the bank so that it doesn't happen again. Earlier, when credit cards first came out, women needed a man to cosign to get one. The Equal Credit Opportunity Act of 1974 made it illegal to discriminate on the basis of sex, marital status, race, color, age, religion, or national origin. Letting women be responsible for their own money has come a long way in the last 50 years.

I'm really not too involved in gun culture. Are women discriminated there too? I haven't heard it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Healthcare is still an area where men are trusted to be responsible for their own healthcare, but women are not. We need politics to ensure that we can make our own medical decisions, not to take these decisions out of our hands.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:45 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Did you not hear of the law just passed in New York, or similar ones right now being proposed in New Mexico, Massachusetts , Rhode Island and Vermont. Or Oregon?
Quite the contrary, modest, common sense measures are being rolled back.

I would argue just as some one else on this thread has pointed out, that since its inception RoevWade has been the law of the land and it has survived 46 years and 5 Republican Presidents and their Supreme Court picks all the while the left clamoring in hysterics about how each one of them was out to take away a womans "right to choose". Yet fighting the most obvious common sense measures like no tax payer funding , informed consent and late term abortions.
The good news for those on the pro life side the tide is turning in spite of the aggressive push by the abortion lobby.
Yes I have heard of what NY did and I remember as a kid growing NY was one of the states that abortion was legal, you often heard the phrase "abortions mills" tossed about before Roe vs Wade was passed and people didn't have to travel to certain states to have a safe option.

I support a person choice early on but have my own reservation with late term options, I am not going to wade into this quagmire where both sides are well entrenched and no one ever shifts their position after the name calling ends. My initial response on this post was a response to your original question only.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:46 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
No, I'm not going to click on Lifenews. There is no less credible source of information on abortion than a pro-forced-birther site. Pure propaganda. But if the number of abortions are decreasing, what are you complaining about? That should make you happy.

But you are still wrong about the change in opinion about abortion in this country. A clear majority still want it to remain legal in all or almost all cases. Even your propaganda site can't dispute that.
Hahaha, of course. I am not complaining and I believe most people that are ProLife would agree they would be thrilled if abortions were legal and the numbers were zero.
I don't have a propaganda site and that was the intent of my original post. Will this new found boldness to actually admit what they are supporting hurt the Democrats or not. Remains to be seen.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:47 PM

989 posts, read 455,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Politics should be involved to ensure our equality, not to discriminate against women.

When my husband and I bought our first house, I called the mortgage company about something. They refused to speak to me. They would only speak to my husband. Since then I've always discuss this ahead of time with the bank so that it doesn't happen again. Earlier, when credit cards first came out, women needed a man to cosign to get one. The Equal Credit Opportunity Act of 1974 made it illegal to discriminate on the basis of sex, marital status, race, color, age, religion, or national origin. Letting women be responsible for their own money has come a long way in the last 50 years.

I'm really not too involved in gun culture. Are women discriminated there too? I haven't heard it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Healthcare is still an area where men are trusted to be responsible for their own healthcare, but women are not. We need politics to ensure that we can make our own medical decisions, not to take these decisions out of our hands.

Agree. If abortion is legal and is the law of the land (and it is), politicians should not be able to insert themselves into the legal process and put up road blocks/obstructions to getting a legal procedure. It should be between the woman and her well-trained physician to decide what is best. I don't need a politican saying I need a wand inserted in my pelvis along with a sonar device on my stomach to ascertain whether it's safe for me to get an abortion. If the doctor deems it safe, that should be enough. Only medical associations/physicians should be deciding the standard of care for this procedure.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Hahaha, of course. I am not complaining and I believe most people that are ProLife would agree they would be thrilled if abortions were legal and the numbers were zero.
I don't have a propaganda site and that was the intent of my original post. Will this new found boldness to actually admit what they are supporting hurt the Democrats or not. Remains to be seen.
Sure you do. You posted it in post #56. Lifenews is definitely a propaganda site.

And considering how American support for abortion in all or nearly all cases hasn't changed in several decades, it's doubtful it will now. Americans still want busy bodies to keep their noses out of other people's bodies and allow a doctor and her patient to make the decisions for her healthcare. I see nothing here that would change that belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies