Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 09:41 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Good, you're another one adding to the deficit, aka stealing from the Treasury, because of this criminal tax reform.

Sounds like you don't itemize and don't benefit from personal exemptions. The reform can work out if you're not paying high state and local taxes.

In the end, the taxpayer - that means all of YOU - have to pay this back.

There is no free lunch.
Getting to keep some more of their own money is stealing? What's wrong with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 10:43 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Getting to keep some more of their own money is stealing? What's wrong with you?
Yes not paying your bills and sending trillions more debt to the next generation is stealing.

Baby boomers have gotten pretty good that, starting since the days of Reagan, getting worse under gwb and trump

Old 02-05-2019, 11:11 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Good, you're another one adding to the deficit, aka stealing from the Treasury, because of this criminal tax reform.

Sounds like you don't itemize and don't benefit from personal exemptions. The reform can work out if you're not paying high state and local taxes.

In the end, the taxpayer - that means all of YOU - have to pay this back.

There is no free lunch.
For better or worse we as a nation have overspent relative to tax revenue so badly for the last 20 years (fault of both parties, Bush, Obama, and Trump all made things worse) that our government debt is now greater than our GDP. Historically if you look at countries with debt that has gotten that high, you see few cases of actually paying that down (Canada, Netherlands, Australia), a bunch of defaults (outright and inflationary), and a bunch of cases yet to play out fully (now including us).

I would not bet even money that this gets paid back over our lifetime - much more likely the debt either remains or gets defaulted on either explicitly or through inflation.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:18 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
Ivana and Marla trusted him once too and look what it got them.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:18 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
For better or worse we as a nation have overspent relative to tax revenue so badly for the last 20 years (fault of both parties, Bush, Obama, and Trump all made things worse) that our government debt is now greater than our GDP. Historically if you look at countries with debt that has gotten that high, you see few cases of actually paying that down (Canada, Netherlands, Australia), a bunch of defaults (outright and inflationary), and a bunch of cases yet to play out fully (now including us).

I would not bet even money that this gets paid back over our lifetime - much more likely the debt either remains or gets defaulted on either explicitly or through inflation.
Much of Obamas deficit and debt was inherited from the last administration who handed him the worst economy in generations.

He wasn't irresponsible enough to pass a tax cut he couldn't pay for like the current moron in chief who had created trillion dollar deficits annually during a supposed economic boom

Old 02-05-2019, 11:26 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Trump quite clearly said wages were too high before the election. Yet, many of you all were gullible enough to fall hook, line and sinker to vote for him, an outright shameless con man. So, now for your wages being too high, many of you have to pay higher taxes. At least I wasn't dumb and gullible enough to vote for Trump.

By the way, why should blue states have to pay higher taxes when Republicans there are having to pay higher taxes as well?

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 02-06-2019 at 12:20 AM..

Old 02-05-2019, 11:27 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
I heard this is hurting some of the middle income earners. Wonder how the more wealthy (or at least well off) ones, especially in Californians are going to make out. A good majority hate the guy so now I'm curious if they're going to be better off with the Trump's tax plan.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:38 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I heard this is hurting some of the middle income earners. Wonder how the more wealthy (or at least well off) ones, especially in Californians are going to make out. A good majority hate the guy so now I'm curious if they're going to be better off with the Trump's tax plan.
In blue states? Break even if not a homeowner. Hurt if in the lower end of the upper middle-class if a homeowner, break even after AMT in the upper end of the upper middle class. At least according to the anecdotes I've heard, welcome to changing my mind if someone wants to dig up and link data.

The tax plan was seriously partisan based on geography. SALT cap was a middle finger to middle and upper-middle income blue state residents. Lots of angry blue state Republicans, only surprise is these people took so long to figure it out.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:12 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
In blue states? Break even if not a homeowner. Hurt if in the lower end of the upper middle-class if a homeowner, break even after AMT in the upper end of the upper middle class. At least according to the anecdotes I've heard, welcome to changing my mind if someone wants to dig up and link data.

The tax plan was seriously partisan based on geography. SALT cap was a middle finger to middle and upper-middle income blue state residents. Lots of angry blue state Republicans, only surprise is these people took so long to figure it out.
You know, if it's true (the bolded part), then this is wrong. Politics and politicians have lost sight of the fact that it's people that matter. Not whether they vote a certain party. Shouldn't a president, congress and the senate try to do what's best for all citizens? This shouldn't have winners and losers.

This is what I dislike about today's society. You're judged on who you support politically. Last time I looked, we're all just trying to make a life for our self and our family.

I can't see how the president and congress would okay something like this, especially after the president saying tonight in his sotu speech that the middle class was going to prosper. Either he was lying when he sold the tax cuts to taxpayers or he lied tonight. I know a lot of people didn't like George W, but I got a tax cut while he was president which is more than I'll get with Trump. Pffffft

Old 02-06-2019, 05:54 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Much of Obamas deficit and debt was inherited from the last administration who handed him the worst economy in generations.

He wasn't irresponsible enough to pass a tax cut he couldn't pay for like the current moron in chief who had created trillion dollar deficits annually during a supposed economic boom
Obama "inherited" about a $10 trillion debt-he left Trump a $20 trillion one. He can not blame Bush for everything that happened during his administration-any more than he can claim credit for what happened 2 years after he left office.

Fortunately under Trump-we have record high tax revenues-we don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem. And that has been true under both parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies