Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 05:25 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
You are a bit sensitive.

Same home in Cook County would cost you almost 20K in property taxes. Double ouch!!!

And this is what you get. The selection was slim in Cook County - could only find six homes in the relative range

Cook County
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...633_rect/9_zm/
Las Olas
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...46_rect/14_zm/

THAT really smarts.
In the Republican burg and county I lived in outside of Philly - it was quite normal to have 10K to 15K property tax bills 20 years ago.

Was some money wasted? Sure. They spent a lot buying up each others farmland (only connected republicans got their land purchased) for conservation, etc.

But most money was spent for education, trash pickup, recreation and stuff like that. More services cost more. If they would have left well-enough alone at 10-15K, the place would be thriving. But they gave into greed and starting financing millions in "stadiums" (youth fields w/lights and groundskeeping) and all kinds of other ridiculous stuff...so taxes went up from there and now people are trapped there (can't sell their houses because houses are worth less than their mortgages due to taxes and other stuff).....

Probably the biggest American myth is that you can have stuff and not pay for it. That is certainly not "political" in any sense as many places are quickly finding out as they develop. Someone has to pay the bills....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 06:14 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Multiple supporters of President Donald Trump over the past couple of weeks have taken to Twitter to air their grievances about the president’s signature tax cut plan. Here's one example.

I suspect there is going to be much more of this as more people realize how badly Trump and the GOP screwed the middle class.
Interesting that, yet again, all they seem to care about is money.

Is the real shared trait of all of them only greed?

Old 02-06-2019, 06:20 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,237,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
In the Republican burg and county I lived in outside of Philly - it was quite normal to have 10K to 15K property tax bills 20 years ago.

Was some money wasted? Sure. They spent a lot buying up each others farmland (only connected republicans got their land purchased) for conservation, etc.

But most money was spent for education, trash pickup, recreation and stuff like that. More services cost more. If they would have left well-enough alone at 10-15K, the place would be thriving. But they gave into greed and starting financing millions in "stadiums" (youth fields w/lights and groundskeeping) and all kinds of other ridiculous stuff...so taxes went up from there and now people are trapped there (can't sell their houses because houses are worth less than their mortgages due to taxes and other stuff).....

Probably the biggest American myth is that you can have stuff and not pay for it. That is certainly not "political" in any sense as many places are quickly finding out as they develop. Someone has to pay the bills....
So are you saying that the residents of Chicago get more from their tax dollars than the residents of Las Olas?

Moderator cut: links removed, competitor site

Admittedly, I don't know the politics of Las Olas but it seems to me that it is a much better use of tax dollars.

As far as my county goes, I am happy to pay my property taxes because of my commissioners respect my hard-earned dollars with adequate services, including a low crime rate.

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2019 at 12:34 AM..

Old 02-06-2019, 06:33 PM

958 posts, read 304,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yeah, a leftwing Washington Post reporter sues with and get soaked by his leftwing trial lawyer, and gets soaked in his leftwing District of Columbia. Cry me a river for this guy. I kinda like this law. Make people think twice about suing.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Well sure he can...blame Bush! Surely you are aware

1. The Great Recession had hit just a few months back - and is/was a decade plus event (yes, we are still feeling it)..

2. The Bush Tax Cuts - from debt and deficit - were LAW and then the time came to try and do away with them, Republicans refused....100%. Obama was only able to claw back a little.

3. The same wars we are still spending TRILLIONS on.....are costing us.

Those three things are responsible for most all of the increases in debt, but we could add the health care crisis/emergency (yes, 11K per person per year IS an emergency) that the Republicans not only refused to address, but that they've been fighting since.

No "both sides" are not at fault. Only one party is primarily responsible for continuous and massive tax cuts from debt and deficit, unlimited money for wars and failure to address our problems. Need I quote Mitch? We all know what he said "nothing gets done...no matter what".

That is no way to run a country.
And why didn't 0bummer get us out of those wars in eight years, again?

Old 02-06-2019, 06:38 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its hilarious how people here brag about the "extra" 2K they got back. Meanwhile the deficit was 985 billion - IE more then the 2K most have been claiming here. So you didn't get extra back, you simply got a loan via the CC that eventually you will have to pay back. With interest. And under Trump the deficit has almost doubled since the last year of Obama.

Congrats.
The ones who voted for Trump will be dead before it matters. It’s just sticking it to the younger folk.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Probably the biggest American myth is that you can have stuff and not pay for it. Someone has to pay the bills....
No crap. Thank you leftwing moron leaders for that. And thank yourself for voting for them.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
So are you saying that the residents of Chicago get more from their tax dollars than the residents of Las Olas?

As far as my county goes, I am happy to pay my property taxes because of my commissioners respect my hard-earned dollars with adequate services, including a low crime rate.
Are you saying your commissioners make the breezes blow and the sun come up in the morning?

My little town would have zero crime - with or without our police force. That Republican town I used to live in (with the high taxes) had 55 officers on the force for 20K people...and no crime (before we had the police...and after).....

I'm simply stating that, in general, things cost money. Obviously it costs more to live in the most populated cities in the USA.....not exactly a brilliant deduction! Beachfront property costs more too - and the taxes are higher there...even tho a hurricane might blow you away.

But, in general, we have to pay for nice things if we want them.

46% of people in the entire state of Florida live at a level when they cannot make basic ends meets. That should give some indication of whether we are the Shining City on the Hill.

BTW, my family has lived in both Las Olas and Bal Harbor. I used to read the news there and shake my head. I especially enjoyed reading about the local Po-Lice who kept the entire country safe.....

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/ent...-drug-cartels/

If you think that is the only corrupt department in Florida, I have some nice dry land here at 5 feet above current sea level....inland about 8 miles...to sell you as lots.

Pointing to Florida (Quality of life is rated #34 in the nation - vast monies come from old people, russian and drug connected person, etc....who don't need schools and services and may not even spend much time there) is NOT a real economy.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:54 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
The new tax plan Trump created increased the standard deduction and reduced the tax rate. My workplace adjusted my withholdings down and I saw an increase in net pay. Because of the increase in the standard deduction, I don't need to deal with any of the itemizing(not paying tons of deductible interest-standard deduction is larger) and I will just take the standard deduction this year. While my return is less, less was withheld and overall I received an increase in net pay.

You can't argue with deliberate stupidity. I already noted, in another thread, that the 'flipped' seat was for the Minnesota state level Senate, not the US Senate. Yet, said poster will repeat it as a fact. Sad!

Old 02-06-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Interesting that, yet again, all they seem to care about is money.

Is the real shared trait of all of them only greed?
In one way or another, that's pretty much the situation.....

I was in a business segment for 20 years...that you would have thought, by its nature, would have been very progressive and liberal...and it was, at the start.

As some of the regular folks (we all started out that way) did well, I would hear more and more "conservative" rumblings, although my world view never changed a lick. After two decades many of these former "hippies" were bona-fide "conservatives" complete with reddish face and bellies hanging over their belts (beer and beef and lack of exercise). They cheered going to war in Iraq ( I remember arguing with all of them) and started repeating all the "right" talking points.

None of these talking points involved "hey, I see myself as a more moral human being so I am going Right" - rather they all had to do with "I perceive more money in my pocket"...

So, yes, it may be a generalization but they are held together by selfishness...and fear. IMHO, of course.

That's what amazes me about threads like this. Gory details about who saved what and only a very few noting that it was all borrowed...at a time when we were finally getting on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies