Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 03:12 PM

45,372 posts, read 60,546,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
My income tax return went from over $1800.00 to $347.00.

Why does poor white trash think this billionaire cares about them when his only interest is enriching himself and those who are already very wealthy? The Dumbing Down of America is working quite well for the very wealthy, it is making them a fortune.
So, your tax obligation dropped from $1800 to $347? That's what you said.

Or did your refund drop (which is what I think you actually mean)?

This entire thread is like that, return and refund being used interchangeably. Which is why most of what many of you have stated means, in the words of Agent K, dick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 03:15 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Well, I just hope the tough guys on my block who are getting screwed by the their orange idol are happy. I know they're all in my range of income and I got screwed but I expected it.

At least he isn't "PC".
Yup, he tells it like it is....or something.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:19 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
At the expense of a BALLOONING DEFICIT AND DEBIT - all of which creates serious fiscal instability (think financial crash) in this country going forward.

THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH.

The GOP KNEW that tax reform was CRIMINALLY IRRESPONSIBLE when they wrote it - that any little thing could create SPIRALING DEBT. Well Trump sure did with his tariffs - 80% of corporate guidance going forward is lower - which means lower tax receipts and unemployment - causing further deficits.

The bill itself was THEFT - borrowing money this country doesn't - and won't - ever have.

How stupid are the Trump voters in this country??? VERY VERY STUPID.
How else could a con artist and pathological liar get elected President? I've said long before Trump was elected that the Dumbing Down of America was deliberate and targeted at Republican voters. Tuition costs mean much of the so-called middle class cannot afford college, and ultimately end up not sophisticated enough to see thru a carnival barker like Donald Trump.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So, your tax obligation dropped from $1800 to $347? That's what you said.

Or did your refund drop (which is what I think you actually mean)?

This entire thread is like that, return and refund being used interchangeably. Which is why most of what many of you have stated means, in the words of Agent K, dick.
I'm sorry, I meant to say my refund dropped. It was $1,981.00 last year, this year it is $347.00.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I meant to say my refund dropped. It was $1,981.00 last year, this year it is $347.00.
Then the next question would how much did you pay this year compared to last year?

Old 02-10-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Then the next question would how much did you pay this year compared to last year?
Good question, I will have to review last years return to see what my federal withholdings were. I suppose it could average out, we'll see.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Good question, I will have to review last years return to see what my federal withholdings were. I suppose it could average out, we'll see.
That's just it. People get wrapped around their refund without realizing what it really means, not meaning you necessarily, but in general.

Just like one of my neighbors who screamed bloody murder back in 2002, or whenever, when people who paid federal income tax got an additional refund due to the tax cut and she didn't get one. The reason, which she wouldn't accept, was because she didn't pay any federal income tax and hadn't for five or six years. The only reason she filed was because of her Maryland personal income tax.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:38 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
At the expense of a BALLOONING DEFICIT AND DEBIT - all of which creates serious fiscal instability (think financial crash) in this country going forward.

THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH.

The GOP KNEW that tax reform was CRIMINALLY IRRESPONSIBLE when they wrote it - that any little thing could create SPIRALING DEBT. Well Trump sure did with his tariffs - 80% of corporate guidance going forward is lower - which means lower tax receipts and unemployment - causing further deficits.

The bill itself was THEFT - borrowing money this country doesn't - and won't - ever have.

How stupid are the Trump voters in this country??? VERY VERY STUPID.
Republicans are hypocrites when it comes to the national debt and deficit.

The last republican doubled the national debt and created the worst economy in generations and the fake news lovers on the right tried to pin all that on Obama lol

Old 02-10-2019, 09:14 PM

284 posts, read 1,020,537 times
Wow I cant believe some states charge so much for property tax, I pay about $2800 for a 400k house. I thought that was alot, considering you have to pay that for the rest of your life while you live in the house.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:01 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
There are no middle class taxpayers getting "screwed" by the federal government on their tax returns. The doubling of the standard deduction helped the middle class at all levels. There was also a 3% reduction for middle class taxpayers.

The people who are screaming are those in states with high state income taxes like CA, NY, NJ, IA, etc. Since they cannot deduct those high state taxes it seems like it is the fault of the feds. It isn't. It is the fault of the legislatures in those states that soak their citizens. They were able to cloak it in the past, now they can't. If you are unhappy paying more in taxes, elect low taxation state legislators.
The standard deduction was not doubled. The personal exemption of $4050 for each family member was removed and the standard deduction increased from $12700 to $24000. If you are married and have three kids over 17 or over, your previous standard deduction + 5 exemptions was $32,950 it is now $24,000. The exemption portion for a family of 5 of $20,250 could also be added to itemized deductions. The $4050 personal exemption has been replaced by a $500 credit for each dependent 17 or older.

Most people will get a few dollars, some people will pay significantly more but there were no significant middle class tax cuts, that was not even the goal of this tax plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies