Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in Country before Party?
Yes 67 94.37%
No 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 12:12 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times

Advertisements

My general philosophy in life is to do the most good for the most people. Obviously there are different paths we can take to achieve that but one that I think is detrimental in the long run is putting one’s party above country. The opening words to our constitution are, “We the people...” because all Americans give power to our government, not just some. Even our first president knew of the perils of party:

When Washington stepped aside as president in 1796, he memorably warned in his farewell address of the divisive influence of factions on the workings of democracy: “The common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it.”

https://www.history.com/news/foundin...arties-opinion

Party is not inherently a bad thing, until it is taken too far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 12:19 PM

26,507 posts, read 15,088,692 times
I think a good measure of the problem is that:

(1) People are often too biased to tell when they are putting their party above the country - how often do we see people on both sides flip flop on demanding that the president is honest depending on who is in the White House?

(2) People think that their party has a monopoly on what is good for the country so they will put their party ahead of honesty and integrity to get the policies that they want - which only reinforces bad politics that harms the country.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:28 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times
This poll is not all that meaningful. People will always think that their party is doing what's right for the country and therefore there is no distinction between country and party.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:30 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
This poll is not all that meaningful. People will always think that their party is doing what's right for the country and therefore there is no distinction between country and party.
Probably true. Makes me wonder if we should only allow people’s name on a ballot and not party affiliation.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:04 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times
I don't care which party is in power. I want our country to be unified to the extent possible. I want people to be accountable, but have opportunities for success. I think we need a social safety net, but we shouldn't reward sloth and gaming the system. I think we need affordable health care that doesn't rely on competing insurance programs with CEO's making millions if not billions. I want to live in harmony with my neighbors. I realize this is very pollyannaish, and may not be achievable, but it's what I want. I'm not registered as any party, but I usually vote progressive.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:08 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,123,635 times
Dems and Repubs have the $$$. They got the wealth the fastest so they have the most influence. It's the realities of today. People like Ron Paul and other figures are influencing the GOP party and in inviting new ideas. OP question doesn't apply to today unfortunately.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:17 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Probably true. Makes me wonder if we should only allow people’s name on a ballot and not party affiliation.
I suspect Republicans will win handedly.... Most people who voted Republican vote do so because of ideology.... Most people vote Democrat because they they think they will get some money out of that vote... Those people typically won't care too much about political viewpoints or work to find which candidate will give them money.... Problem is without party affiliation, candidates will just lie all the time to get elected and there won't be a majority/minority leader to hold them accountable....

Old 02-23-2019, 05:21 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times
Country music before birthday songs? Not sure.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:32 PM

26,507 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Republicans in Michigan wanted to do that and the Democrats threw a fit saying that it was tantamount to disenfranchising minorities.

Apparently Democrats think minorities are so stupid that they can't figure things out unless you put the party next to the name.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:40 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
This question is moot because I believe that ALL of the policies proposed by the new generation of Democrats like Pocahontas, Bernie, AOC, and Beto is bad for our country. I see Democrats and liberals as hostile to American values and their rise to power will destroy everything that is great about America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies