Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 12:37 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
No one who wrote the Bible ever met or talked to Jesus. All are stories.

True. Indeed, back when I took a comparative religion course, the instructor (a Christian pastor) noted that Biblical scholars concluded that the Q source (I think it was called), indicated that one could be sure of only 22 statements confidently spoken by Jesus. It had to do with comparing original sources (the three Gospels, excluding John, which appears to have been the last one put together, and then long after Jesus by a factor of at least a hundred years).

Anyway, if one compares the three Gospels, there are not that many words of Jesus that the three agree upon.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:37 PM

958 posts, read 304,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Nothing would make such an amendment happen.

The protection that the First Amendment gives us is too valuable. Only a few control-freaks want something like this, and they will NEVER succeed.
Sadly, the control freaks, the atheists, are already succeeding.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:38 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
Godless relative to the 1950s. Byt we have one party today that is entirely godless.
Thank God we've made progress since the 50s

Old 02-06-2019, 12:38 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You are the one who believes that there are people who want to kill healthy, viable fetuses. Why do you choose to believe that? Why do you think the world is such an evil place?
My theory is that people who are saying that healthy, viable babies can be aborted at childbirth are not looking for debate. They are looking to vilify people they see as their political opponents. They're either purposefully lying or are so brain dead that I don't see how they make it on their own in society.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
I can't answer to what some individuals may or may not have done.
I'm not talking about individuals.

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Which is different than many religious values how?
I agree with you halfway. There are hundreds of different religions, all of them with different beliefs.

But, while "religions" are arbitrary, each religion is based on specific teachings.

Which is more-dangerous, religious government or secular government? I would declare emphatically that secular government is by far the most-dangerous form of government.

The problem with secular government, especially one supposedly based on the "consent of the governed", is that its authority is unlimited. How can you possibly resist government authority?

You can think of the bible as being a kind of Constitution. The only way any American can resist our government is by claiming that the government is behaving unconstitutionally. But if we had no Constitution, the power of our government would be absolute.

In the Middle-Ages, the governments of Europe were all ruled by Kings, all of which were claiming authority through something called the "Divine Right of Kings".

Divine right of kings comes from Romans 13. Which basically declared that god placed the Kings in power, and so everyone ought to obey the King. In-effect, the kings were god's representatives on Earth, who were doing "god's work".

But this dynamic is only true as long as the people believe the King is a representative of god. And this is why there was such a strong relationship between the Kings and the Church. In fact, it was the pope who could largely decide who could run a country, because the pope could merely declare a king to be illegitimate, which could justify his overthrow.

As a result, every King had to give an appearance of being godly, at least publicly. Or as Niccolo Machiavelli famously said, "There is nothing more important than appearing to be religious."

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/241...o-be-religious

While Kings did this dishonestly and fraudulently, the bible certainly created a "check" on excesses.

When John Locke discussed a "separation of powers", he wasn't actually talking about some lawyers in the Supreme Court checking the power of some lawyers in Congress. John Locke was saying that the church should check the power of the kings, and vice-versa.

We are only safe as long as religion can check the excesses of the state, and vice-versa. Those countries which did the most to weaken religion, made the state absolute. And by doing so, they did not bring about heaven on Earth, but rather hell on Earth.

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The point is that atheism isn't a values/belief system, as the OP believes it is.
Sorry if I misunderstood, I think I just thought it foolish to say atheism has no values as if a lack of belief in something could have values or anything else. Personally , I have no doubt there are forces in the universe that no mere mortal completely understands, I don't know if that makes me an atheist, agnostic, or ?

Old 02-06-2019, 12:40 PM

958 posts, read 304,186 times
OK guys. I'm like MJ with the fan mail. No way I can keep up. I've responded up to post #150, and I'm still a full 100 posts behind, but I've got to do some things. I WILL respond to the posts when I get back.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:40 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
If 'predator' priests alarms you, then you should be damn petrified of atheists who murdered 100 million people in the last decade. Another reason to get rid of the atheist leanings of our current government.
During the last decade? Please elaborate.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:41 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
....There is only one way to solve this dilemma. Protect the moral and decent. Get rid of the immoral, the perverse, and the hideous. Protect the view that our country was founded on, the view held by most Americans and, really, every moral person: the views of Christianity. If promoting one religion is unavoidable, let's at least promote the right one. Let's do it now.
And what of all the Jews, Buddhists, etc., etc. in the U.S. who do not believe in the Christian religion. Just what do you have in mind for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies