Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Trump 63 56.76%
Reparations Democrat Nominee 28 25.23%
Third Party 12 10.81%
Not vote at all 8 7.21%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 10:53 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,962,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Let me apologize to everyone who has asked me questions, and I haven't given you a response. I want you to know I've read every post that quotes me directly. As some of the responses asks the same questions, you can read through my previous posts to get my answer to your questions.

Someone asked me if reparations were ever given, that would open a Pandora's Box to every group who feel they have been wrong. I don't have a problem with that at all. In fact, reparations would be the first investment from our government into the actual people of the United States. For many years, only the wealthy got these kinds of benefits from our government, and they were truly UNEARNED!!!! Here it is people are looking at me saying I want handouts, but where is that energy when it comes to Jeff Bezos when he's looking for benefits to set up his headquarters in different cities across the US? Where's that same energy when it came to the bailouts? It's extremely funny to me because most of y'all in here are working class people right along with me, yet you are putting on your cape for people who steal your wages.

I'm trying to save this country. Remember folks, it was the New Deal that created the "Greatest Generation". Don't you ever forget that! It wasn't businesses people, it wasn't privatized entities! It was your mother loving government that did that!!! All I'm saying is, black Americans was shut out of all of that. We were the slaves that drove the foundation of the wealth in this country. We were raped, lynched, and segregated from being American. Today we continue to be targeted for mass incarceration, we deal with the legacy of redlining that keeps our home values down, and are subject to predatory lending. We, more than any other tax paying group, are owed our share of this nation's wealth. So again, reparations will be the first step in turning our nation back to the days of the Greatest Generation. American descendants of slaves will be the first fruits of the best American generation yet.
I have read every post you made in this thread, and still no answer to what I asked you.
I will do it one more time just in case you have an eyesight problem.

WHAT HAVE YOU, OR ANY OTHER DOS DONE TO DESERVE REPARATIONS?
You weren't even living at the time.
You are so fos.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 10:58 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Black Americans have been locked out of this country when it comes to wealth building. We were regulated to doing domestic work after slavery, and were locked out of the New Deal. We can't get that time back. In this day and age, your life is determined by who your grandparents were. As I said, 60% of America's wealth was inherited. I need for my government to give me my inheritance in reparations.
"Black Americans have been locked out of this country"

So, your claim there are ZERO black rich people because ALL have been "locked out"!

You REALLY need to get that CHIP off your shoulder!

Old 02-07-2019, 11:00 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,372,428 times
so I cant vote in your poll because I am not a dem voter. the lesser of two evils concept didn't work on me the last time around because I saw Hillary as a truly vile person whose election would spell doom for the country with one single appointment to the SCOTUS.

but let me say this. TheDonald has strictly from a POLICY standpoint been more specifically focused on African American advancement than any president since we were fighting over slavery.

we know African American unemployment is falling and at historic lows
he signed historic legislation related to prison sentencing etc that impacts African Americans
but little has been said about efforts to get small business loans in the hands of African Americans focusing on helping them build wealth.

TheDonald isn't an evil. He isn't the 'lesser'. In fact, if I were black, I would be voting for him because he has been more directly focused on bringing real policy to bear that will bring wealth to African American.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:04 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
i never owned slaves, traded slaves, bought slaves, or had anything to do with slaves. The only kind of reparations i would support would be to allocate some funds to send those back to africa who want to go. a free one-way ticket.
Bingo, but I am cheap. Buy a clapped out freighter and run it aground at its destination.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:07 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Someone stole it you mean.
You are attempting to steal money cloaked in some feverish anguish called slavery.

No reparations now or ever.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:08 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Black Americans have been locked out of this country when it comes to wealth building. We were regulated to doing domestic work after slavery, and were locked out of the New Deal. We can't get that time back. In this day and age, your life is determined by who your grandparents were. As I said, 60% of America's wealth was inherited. I need for my government to give me my inheritance in reparations.
"As I said, 60% of America's wealth was inherited."

That 60% is for BILLIONAIRES NOT MILLIONAIRES. And that list DOES INCLUDE blacks.

PORTRAIT Of A MILLIONAIRE

"Most of us have never felt at a disadvantage because we did not receive any inheritance.

About 80 percent of us are first-generation affluent.

"YOU OR YOUR ANCESTORS? Most of America's millionaires are first-generation rich. How is it possible for people from modest backgrounds to become millionaires in one generation? Why is it that so many people with similar socioeconomic backgrounds never accumulate even modest amounts of wealth?
Most people who become millionaires have confidence in their own abilities. They do not spend time worrying about whether or not their parents were wealthy. They do not believe that one must be born wealthy. Conversely, people of modest backgrounds who believe that only the wealthy produce millionaires are predetermined to remain non-affluent. Have you always thought that most millionaires are born with silver spoons in their mouths? If so, consider the following facts that our research uncovered about American millionaires:
* Only 19 percent receive any income or wealth of any kind from a trust fund or an estate.
* Fewer than 20 percent inherited 10 percent or more of their wealth.
* More than half never received as much as $1 in inheritance.
* Fewer than 25 percent ever received "an act of kindness" of $10,000 or more from their parents, grandparents, or other relatives.
* Ninety-one percent never received, as a gift, as much as $1 of the ownership of a family business.
* Nearly half never received any college tuition from their parents or other relatives.
* Fewer than 10 percent believe they will ever receive an inheritance in the future.

The Millionaire Next Door

Old 02-07-2019, 11:10 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Almost every election for black Americans, we have to choose between the candidate who will do the least amount of harm to our community. In spite Democratic candidates needing black Americans vote in a block to win elections, and most certainly to win primaries, we are the most ignored group in America. The data points this out magnificently! Now, we thought things would change when Obama came on the scene. He was a massive failure to say the least. Not only was he a failure, he then endorsed Ms. Super Predator herself to be the next president. Which once again it became voting between the lesser of two evils in Hillary vs. Trump.

So I've been thinking about something. I've been thinking when have white Americans (who are the majority in this nation) had to choose between the lesser of two evils? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a lot of white Americans saw Hillary as evil, and had to hold their nose when voting for her. I'm sure a lot of white Republicans thought the same way about Trump. However, I just don't think they fully felt the same way as black Americans felt, particularly after Obama. It was then I had an "AH HA!" scenario....

Let's say we now have a Democrat nominee for the 2020 election. This candidate who will be going up against Trump, has a policy for reparations given to the American descendants of slaves. It will be a 14 trillion dollar investment over the span of many years. My question to everyone is if this were the scenario, for those who can't stand Trump and think anyone would be better, would you vote for this Democrat nominee? Or would you go third party or not vote at all?

This is a silly thread...sorry.

But many white people feel they chose between the "lesser of two evils" in every presidential election.

Also, you are seemingly too focused on presidential politics. Your local elected government officials have more of an impact on your life than the federal wing.

I pay more attention to local races than the national ones. The national ones I pick who doesn't make me frown as much as others.

As a black person, I don't think that black people are ignored in primaries in particular. Black people are overwhelmingly democratic voters and they vote in the Democratic Primary. Not sure why you think that is not the case.

You really need to come out of your woe-ish syndrome. And I know you hate Obama cause he didin't come in with his cape and give you a life of riches and gold to make up for your middle class upbringing and its horrible effects on your life (being sarcastic lol) but no president will ever do anything like that for you so you should focus on specific things you want to accomplish in your own life and do them instead of waiting for a president to do so for you.

On 2020, not sure who I'll vote for. I know it won't be Trump. But if there is a GOP primary, I will vote in the GOP primary so he won't be able to run. If there isn't a GOP primary, I'll vote for whatever Democrat I feel is 1 - most sensible and 2 - most electable. Electability is important to me and just because someone shares my gender or skin color doesn't mean they have my vote. I especially don't think that most Americans would vote for a woman for president (especially women IMO wouldn't support a woman like they should). Reparations is not something that I am waiting for because I have a life to live so I don't care if that is on the Democratic policy agenda or not. However, any Democrat who supports reparations, especially if they are black, they would not be electable because that is too controversial a topic in America.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:12 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Translation:

I'm motivated when it comes to getting reparations, but not motivated enough to take that same energy and put it toward taking actions that will better my lot in life.

All the other African American posters seem to be doing just fine when it comes to stability. Maybe it's you?

Old 02-07-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"As I said, 60% of America's wealth was inherited."

That 60% is for BILLIONAIRES NOT MILLIONAIRES. And that list DOES INCLUDE blacks.

PORTRAIT Of A MILLIONAIRE

"Most of us have never felt at a disadvantage because we did not receive any inheritance.

About 80 percent of us are first-generation affluent.

"YOU OR YOUR ANCESTORS? Most of America's millionaires are first-generation rich. How is it possible for people from modest backgrounds to become millionaires in one generation? Why is it that so many people with similar socioeconomic backgrounds never accumulate even modest amounts of wealth?
Most people who become millionaires have confidence in their own abilities. They do not spend time worrying about whether or not their parents were wealthy. They do not believe that one must be born wealthy. Conversely, people of modest backgrounds who believe that only the wealthy produce millionaires are predetermined to remain non-affluent. Have you always thought that most millionaires are born with silver spoons in their mouths? If so, consider the following facts that our research uncovered about American millionaires:
* Only 19 percent receive any income or wealth of any kind from a trust fund or an estate.
* Fewer than 20 percent inherited 10 percent or more of their wealth.
* More than half never received as much as $1 in inheritance.
* Fewer than 25 percent ever received "an act of kindness" of $10,000 or more from their parents, grandparents, or other relatives.
* Ninety-one percent never received, as a gift, as much as $1 of the ownership of a family business.
* Nearly half never received any college tuition from their parents or other relatives.
* Fewer than 10 percent believe they will ever receive an inheritance in the future.

The Millionaire Next Door

Unfortunately this poster will not be able to understand this. He is suffering from an inferiority complex - meaning he has bought into the centuries of social conditioning of blacks to believe that we cannot do anything even today when there are few racial barriers of any significance in this country.

My goal at retirement is to be a millionaire. I will be (almost there now in my retirement accounts) and it will primarily be done via investment and working a "regular" job. This OP doesn't understand that he can do the same if he quits b**ching about what he cannot do.

I encourage all the black people I know to take advantage of the markets and in investing in majority black neighborhoods if they are interested in real estate investing because our neighborhoods are cheaper so it is easier to get started. In certain urban areas as well gentrification can be a benefit to us. I know I get triple the mortgage of the income properties I own in basically "hood" neighborhoods that are undergoing gentrification. I have primarily white tenants too since whites are moving back to urban areas.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I have read every post you made in this thread, and still no answer to what I asked you.
I will do it one more time just in case you have an eyesight problem.

WHAT HAVE YOU, OR ANY OTHER DOS DONE TO DESERVE REPARATIONS?
You weren't even living at the time.
You are so fos.

Bob.

On this, I'll note there are actually still many black people alive who were harmed as a result of racist policies and actions in the 20th century.

I've mentioned to this poster before that if a reparations program was ever studied or inacted, those people and their families should be the primary beneficiaries because there are still people alive whose parents/grandparents were murdered or who themselves were bombed and maimed or had their property stolen. IMO the worst period for blacks in America was from 1880 to 1980. If our demographic had not been so severely oppressed after Reconstruction, there wouldn't be any major issues within our demographic in relation to education, property ownership, or wealth in particular. The atmosphere in this nation really did prevent the demographic from progressing with all other populations in this country on a socio-economic level. This is especially the case post WWII IMO, which coincides with the climax of the CRM. Many black people were harmed during the CRM who IMO really should be taken care of with a program for reparations - but for me that would primarily be financial compensation for any injuries suffered and healthcare via Medicaid and Medicare.

However, most black people know that this will never occur. The main issue we have today is people like this OP who seemingly do nothing to better the community other than complain about government and white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies