Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Trump 63 56.76%
Reparations Democrat Nominee 28 25.23%
Third Party 12 10.81%
Not vote at all 8 7.21%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:28 AM

2,417 posts, read 1,449,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
What do you want your government to do for you, that you are incapable of doing yourself?
Black Americans have been locked out of this country when it comes to wealth building. We were regulated to doing domestic work after slavery, and were locked out of the New Deal. We can't get that time back. In this day and age, your life is determined by who your grandparents were. As I said, 60% of America's wealth was inherited. I need for my government to give me my inheritance in reparations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
False. That is not a freebie. Someone worked for it. Why should the government confiscate all of your wealth when you die? A freebie is the unearned income tax credit.
Someone stole it you mean.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:31 AM

1,227 posts, read 633,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Black Americans have been locked out of this country when it comes to wealth building. We were regulated to doing domestic work after slavery, and were locked out of the New Deal. We can't get that time back. In this day and age, your life is determined by who your grandparents were. As I said, 60% of America's wealth was inherited. I need for my government to give me my inheritance in reparations.
Try every angle, reparations not going to happen.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:32 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
To the OP; look at it this way, if it wasn't for slavery, you wouldn't be here living the life you do, and getting the benefits of this country. The US doesn't owe you a damn thing.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:32 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
You can look it up for yourself in terms of wealth, education, employment, etc. We are at the bottom of this nation. I would post links, but I don't want to risk getting a copy right strike. Google "100 year penalty for being black" A citylab article should pop up.

You alleged "we are the most ignored group in America", I can no doubt search and find articles claiming the exact opposite. Until you supply a definitive article that is fact and not simply opinion, I simply don't believe it.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
To the OP; look at it this way, if it wasn't for slavery, you wouldn't be here living the life you do, and getting the benefits of this country. The US doesn't owe you a damn thing.
If it weren't for slavery, I wouldn't be here period. I wouldn't exist. Some alternate version of me would idealistically be living in a more just world. Yet I am here, and so are all the 36+ million American DOS. We are owed our due, as much as a worker getting their income. This thing has been long overdue.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:39 AM

Now obviously, this is a very conservative thinking site. I will here from them, but I'm more curious to hear what more progressive minded people are thinking with this topic. Like I said, how much do you want to see Trump gone? Even if this reparations candidate was the only choice, would you vote for him/her?

Old 02-06-2019, 09:39 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,617 times
Quote:
Someone stole it you mean.
No, that is what you mean. When someone farms a field using equipment are they stealing from the combine? And slaves weren't even stolen. They were purchased as a capital investment.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:40 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Almost every election for black Americans, we have to choose between the candidate who will do the least amount of harm to our community. In spite Democratic candidates needing black Americans vote in a block to win elections, and most certainly to win primaries, we are the most ignored group in America. The data points this out magnificently! Now, we thought things would change when Obama came on the scene. He was a massive failure to say the least. Not only was he a failure, he then endorsed Ms. Super Predator herself to be the next president. Which once again it became voting between the lesser of two evils in Hillary vs. Trump.

So I've been thinking about something. I've been thinking when have white Americans (who are the majority in this nation) had to choose between the lesser of two evils? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a lot of white Americans saw Hillary as evil, and had to hold their nose when voting for her. I'm sure a lot of white Republicans thought the same way about Trump. However, I just don't think they fully felt the same way as black Americans felt, particularly after Obama. It was then I had an "AH HA!" scenario....

Let's say we now have a Democrat nominee for the 2020 election. This candidate who will be going up against Trump, has a policy for reparations given to the American descendants of slaves. It will be a 14 trillion dollar investment over the span of many years. My question to everyone is if this were the scenario, for those who can't stand Trump and think anyone would be better, would you vote for this Democrat nominee? Or would you go third party or not vote at all?
I have a direct descendant that died fighting to end slavery. Where's my reparations?????

Old 02-06-2019, 09:41 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
If it weren't for slavery, I wouldn't be here period. I wouldn't exist. Some alternate version of me would idealistically be living in a more just world. Yet I am here, and so are all the 36+ million American DOS. We are owed our due, as much as a worker getting their income. This thing has been long overdue.

Have you been to Africa lately?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies