Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 07:32 AM

2,106 posts, read 977,573 times

Advertisements

Michael Jackson made his black face white , few nose jobs too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 08:03 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I believe so. I think anything going back to the 80s should be given a pass because, as others have better said, there was no PC culture at all. I don't give anyone a pass who is doing such things in the 2000s and there have already been several accounts of that happening with other politicians.

What I want to make clear though is that I'm a little bit undecided about the Northam photo. The Michael Jackson/entertainer stuff back in the 80s was done with good intent and admiration. The blackface/KKK picture is a different thing entirely, in my mind.

Knowing that it was done in college and it depicts at KKK member and a black dude hanging out at a party, sharing a drink, screams to me of frat boy humor. I'm sure they thought it was a RIOT. Even today, when I saw some of the pics my son showed me of a party he went to in college and some of the costumes they were wearing, they were outrageous. College students know better but they think they are invincible and many have and will always push way past boundaries.
Thank you. I can respect that and feel pretty much the same way. If one side expects the other to be "perfect", then they darn well better be that way too. And we all know, that ain't going to happen with the hypocrisy of todays politics.....

Old 02-07-2019, 08:35 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I'm originally from upstate New York.

Lived for over twenty years in North Carolina and recently moved to Virginia.

And I can tell you that Virginia is in many ways more "Southern" than North Carolina even though it's geographically farther north.

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. I lived in Charlotte for 12 years and just moved back to Michigan. I currently work in NoVa. I know what you mean, but I'm betting most folks from SC, GA, MS, AL, etc would say "Virginia isn't part of the South". That was my point, just a little good-natured ribbing.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:16 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,398,243 times
While I am not in favor of black face, there is the 1st Amendment. Also, the P.C. Brigade might as well protest every case of black-face and not cherry-pick it to specific cases.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:05 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Ok, let me get this straight. In elementary school black kids dress up as Washington, Jefferson etc. and that's ok. But if a white kid wants to be MLK or Jay Z that is racist. Is that right?

Old 02-07-2019, 10:07 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Ok, let me get this straight. In elementary school black kids dress up as Washington, Jefferson etc. and that's ok. But if a white kid wants to be MLK or Jay Z that is racist. Is that right?

To a SJW yes. To everyone else it's absurd. A lil kid can't wear a costume on halloween of someone that doesn't physically match themselves. Ridiculous.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:10 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusrising View Post
Gene Wilder in Silver Streak, Bob Hope, Benny Hill, Robert Downey Jr. and the list goes on. OMG lmao I am hosting a black face party at my house. Sign up if you want to come. This political correctness is BS.

Al Jolson and Eddie Cantor performed in black face in the Ziegfield Follies, and then in the movies. What would "The Jazz Singer" be without Al Jolson performing "Mammy"?

I mentioned in another post that the first prize winner of the costume contest held at my social club's Halloween party came as a black faced lawn jockey, complete with lantern. No one protested or complained...he brought down the house. I guess there are no SJW members in the club.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:11 AM

211 posts, read 117,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
While I am not in favor of black face, there is the 1st Amendment. Also, the P.C. Brigade might as well protest every case of black-face and not cherry-pick it to specific cases.
Me thinks you have no idea what the First Amendment even is, or what it does.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:14 AM

1,874 posts, read 817,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusrising View Post
Gene Wilder in Silver Streak, Bob Hope, Benny Hill, Robert Downey Jr. and the list goes on. OMG lmao I am hosting a black face party at my house. Sign up if you want to come. This political correctness is BS.
can i bring my obama mask?

Old 02-07-2019, 10:17 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
can i bring my obama mask?
At another Halloween party I attended, one of the gals came wearing a Michelle Obama mask. She won both prizes for scariest and ugliest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies