Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 03:45 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
”If you’re not a liberal at 25, you have no heart. If you’re not conservative at 35 you have no brain”~ Winston Churchill
Said by a Brit. I’ll stick to my no brains. Ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 03:47 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
”If you’re not a liberal at 25, you have no heart. If you’re not conservative at 35 you have no brain”~ Winston Churchill

Turns out that this often quoted statement is....not true. The VAST majority have the same political views 1t 25 that they will at later ages. Much like this fantasy where Democrats are walking away from their party in mass.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:53 PM

334 posts, read 227,281 times
I was a liberal, in my 20s. Then I got out of college, started paying taxes, and now am a social liberal and fiscal conservative.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:59 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I would suggest that those in the walk away movement are walking to a more moderate Republican position, versus a really conservative one.
Their destination is really irrelevant. Their reason for leaving is key... illiberalism is destroying the Democratic Party.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:37 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I hate party politics and try to focus on issues rather than party. Trouble is you have to pick your hot button issues and decide on those since we vote on candidates who have a whole bundle of positions. You would think in this electronic age we could vote on each issue.

For me, I tend to be socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I am neutral on the 2nd Amendment, neutral on abortion. I think immigrants are demonized and I will support anyone who has a job, pays his taxes, and stays out of trouble - American or immigrant. But I cannot stand an immoral con artist as President so I would never vote for Trump even if he softened his stand on immigration.
Ah, another lefty liberal who uses the simple word of "immigrant" to define two entirely different groups. No one has a right to come to this country and work illegally in spite of any taxes they may pay while using a fake or stolen SS number or working for cash evading taxes that is not staying out of trouble. Those are felonies! Lawbreakers should be demonized!!!

Softened his stand on "immigration"? There you go again blurring those lines between legal and illegal. Why is it that you lefty liberals do that? It's blatantly dishonest.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:20 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Lessee what Trump has accomplished:
- Failed at repealing, or improving Obamacare
- Failed at denuclearizing North Korea. By all accounts they still have nukes and are building new ICBM's that can reach the US
- Cancelled the Iran treaty which was working, as confirmed by the CIA
- Snubbed, disrespected, and alienated all of US traditional allies
- Passed a tax package that permanently helps his rich friends but expires in 4 years for ordinary Americans
- Loosened clean air and clean water protections, which is terrible for Americans, great for polluters
- Failed at building a wall, or making Mexico pay for it, even though his own party controlled Congress
- Has destabilized the economic recovery by his trade war with China and Mexico and Canada

Some of Trump's more famous cons:
- Trump University which swindled thousands of students
- Trump charity which was in truth a family slush fund and was ordered to shut down.

All of your rants and claims have been debunked and addressed over and over in here but I keep forgetting that you're one of the newest members of the Parrot Club in here. "Polly wanna cracker"? Squawk, squawk.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:35 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Turns out that this often quoted statement is....not true. The VAST majority have the same political views 1t 25 that they will at later ages. Much like this fantasy where Democrats are walking away from their party in mass.
Here’s a link from the Pew Study from 2014 that confirms what you said.

The politics of American generations: How age affects attitudes and voting behavior | Pew Research Center

Even worst from the R perspective is this latest Pew Study that finds that instead of being the most conservative generation in memory, Generation Z favors government doing more, thinks increasing diversity is a good thing and despises Donald Trump.

Generation Z Looks a Lot Like Millennials on Key Social and Political Issues | Pew Research Center

Old 02-06-2019, 05:40 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriman80 View Post
The old Democrat guard has to be ashamed vof what their party has turned into.

Hell, look at these crazies running for 2020. The only sane person is Biden
Only from your very warped vantage point. I think a lot of Republicans now don't want to be known as Republicans. For example, in W.V. Joe Manchin runs as a Democrat, but he's really a Republican in his policies and ideas. But he has to run as a Centrist Democrat to get elected there. He needs to be primaried next time around.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:43 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriman80 View Post
The old Democrat guard has to be ashamed vof what their party has turned into. Hell, look at these crazies running for 2020. The only sane person is Biden
Think you have it backwards, kid. I think you'll find more movement going in the other direction.

Starting with Bush Jr. , I know quite a number of lifelong Republicans who started voting Democrat. Hell, even the Bushes voted Democrat last time.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:43 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
She got 110,000 out of 141,000 votes.
Oh, well that’s different then. I guess she deserves to be the voice of the Democratic Party now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies