Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cracking down on crime, drugs and illegal aliens:
is racist most of the time. 1 1.54%
could be racially motivated sometimes, but it depends on the situation. 14 21.54%
has nothing to do with racism. 50 76.92%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 12:41 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
You don't get to cherry pick your stats. Nation wide, 50% of all violent crimes are committed by ~3 percent of the population (young black males).
I do agree that simple possession (or use) of (most) any drug should not be a crime.
My opinion on LE doesn't rely on cheery picked or misleading or even total statistics. Murder should be - and is - prosecuted whenever possible. I support that. You support that. No difference.

Where we probably disagree is in the causation and solutions...but that's fodder for another thread. I don't micromanage LE. Let them and the pols and everyone else continue to create the end result...that is, crime is falling for all of us (we are less likely to be hurt). My particular home state is about 1/2 of the national average, which makes it even better. I like feeling safer.

Period.

The issue of over-policing is a real budgetary and "freedom" one, tho. In the old burb town I lived in they have 50 people in LE and only 22K population...AND, no crime (even when they had 8 in LE). That's a budget killer.

As with anything else you need to put the cure where the problem is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 12:46 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
I'm with Trump on this issue. "Let's put these people OUT OF BUSINESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS." I lose no sleep at night pondering if it's racist or not. Really don't care....at all.

For those involved in this type of work, go find a different job. Easy solution. Next question?

Old 02-07-2019, 12:51 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
My opinion on LE doesn't rely on cheery picked or misleading or even total statistics. Murder should be - and is - prosecuted whenever possible. I support that. You support that. No difference.

Cool, then you would also denounce what Redshadows posted below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz
If laws disproportionately place people of color behind bars, then those laws are racist. And if you support them you are a racist.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:02 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
By that logic anyone who supports the laws we have for murder are racists.

Since it's a statistical fact blacks disproportionately commit the most murders per capita.

There are very few black people or people in general who commit murder in this nation.

I think most Americans want murderers in jail, including black people since most blacks are murdered by black people.

I have a cousin who was murdered a couple years ago by another black person. The murderer is in prison and that's where they belong.

But the thread title speaks specifically on drugs and "illegal aliens." I also have no problem with enforcing our immigration laws. I think that our Congress could and should do a better job of working together to reform and reinforce/strengthen certain issues related to undocumented immigrants crossing our borders; however, IMO we can do it with better technology than a "wall." And often it seems those in the Trump camp only want a "wall." I'd rather Congress pass a law that citzenship is tied to the status of one parent - basically end birthright citizenship. I want more border control agents, drones, vehicles for patrols and repairs to current walls and closing off of tunnels that occur.

But on "crime" in general, especially from a black perspective, enforcement of laws really are based on race and the racism of those doing the enforcing. And note, I do believe that many black LEs have inferior views as well of black people and they also bring their racism into the picture against other black people.

On crime, I want less black people harrassed by LE. There is no reason to stop us more than whites when we commit less drug crimes and are less likely to get a DUI.

On other crimes, like murder, often there is no way to prevent those from occurring so I don't see how there could be a "crackdown" on murder when most murders occur due to domestic/inter-personal issues and aren't planned events.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:10 PM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
If laws disproportionately place people of color behind bars, then those laws are racist. And if you support them you are a racist.
or POC dis proportionally don't follow the law

Old 02-07-2019, 01:11 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
This type of stuff is just common sense. It's like putting your hand in the flame of your stove and then complaining that your hand was burned. How about don't put your hand in the flame in the first place? If you do complain, then the cries should fall on deaf ears. It's on you!!!!!!!!!!

Racism doesn't enter the equation here at all. Don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time. Duh!

Old 02-07-2019, 01:15 PM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
Let me add this little nugget: no one gives a f%^ if you agree with the law. You choose to follow the law or you don't. If you choose to speed you will deal with the consequences. If you choose to smoke weed, deal with the consequences.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:21 PM

62,951 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
And how those laws are enforced, targeting minorities. And being in this country illegally is not a huge crime, more like a misdemeanor, and seeking asylum is legal regardless of where you enter the country and yet people are incarcerated, families are separated and children are taken with no plans to return them, all of this without even going before a judge. As for "crime", that's about as general as you can get, but I think most people are against crime in general.

Not our fault that most illegal aliens are minorities, now is it? You can white wash it all you want but being in our country illegally is a violation of our immigration laws and they are supposed to be deported. Try arguing with that!

Most asylum seekers are making bogus claims, only about 10-20% get approved. They come here knowing full well they don't have a legitimate claim and that to me is fraud. They were forewarned not to sneak their kids over our border to make their bogus claims or they'd be separated from them. We don't jail American parents with their kids, do we? It's BS that there were no plans to return their kids to them either.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:24 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
There are very few black people or people in general who commit murder in this nation.

I think most Americans want murderers in jail, including black people since most blacks are murdered by black people.

I have a cousin who was murdered a couple years ago by another black person. The murderer is in prison and that's where they belong.

But the thread title speaks specifically on drugs and "illegal aliens." I also have no problem with enforcing our immigration laws. I think that our Congress could and should do a better job of working together to reform and reinforce/strengthen certain issues related to undocumented immigrants crossing our borders; however, IMO we can do it with better technology than a "wall." And often it seems those in the Trump camp only want a "wall." I'd rather Congress pass a law that citzenship is tied to the status of one parent - basically end birthright citizenship. I want more border control agents, drones, vehicles for patrols and repairs to current walls and closing off of tunnels that occur.

But on "crime" in general, especially from a black perspective, enforcement of laws really are based on race and the racism of those doing the enforcing. And note, I do believe that many black LEs have inferior views as well of black people and they also bring their racism into the picture against other black people.

On crime, I want less black people harrassed by LE. There is no reason to stop us more than whites when we commit less drug crimes and are less likely to get a DUI.

On other crimes, like murder, often there is no way to prevent those from occurring so I don't see how there could be a "crackdown" on murder when most murders occur due to domestic/inter-personal issues and aren't planned events.

(1) My comments were directed at Redshadow's post, specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz
(2) A large percentage of murders are from gang related activity. Specifically inner city black gangs, so yes it is entirely possible to crackdown on murders. And that would specifically target black people.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:48 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
(1) My comments were directed at Redshadow's post, specifically.

(2) A large percentage of murders are from gang related activity. Specifically inner city black gangs, so yes it is entirely possible to crackdown on murders. And that would specifically target black people.

I know who you were responding to, but will note on the bold that that is not true.

Most murderers murder family members or friends or co-workers and they are not random or gang related. Only about 13% of murders nationwide were gang related from 2007 to 2011 per the National Gang Center.

Large cities typically have more gangs than smaller ones and FYI but a majority of black people live in suburban communities today and not inner cities. There are less black people in gangs today than there were 25 years ago.

There is also no law against being in a gang so there is no way to "crack down" on murder even in regards to gangs. Most targeting of gangs done by law enforcement is surrounding drug trafficking and not homicide and when the generic "gang" is targeted that could be widened to be any black male or Latino male or even female in a particular neighborhood which opens them up to harrassment.

Legalizing drugs would more than likely have an impact on lowering gang related murders, yet we don't see anyone looking to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies