Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 02:39 PM

27,132 posts, read 13,424,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
PK, we are going around in circles here...usually you are level headed

how can you say with a straight face that "We have no idea what a new program would consist of as we do not have it", when MFA is NOT new, its just medicare expanded.... even Bernie said so himself
Bernie Sanders campaign did put this video on youtube last year.

I just wish her all the best, although I don't know how represntative of the US System the video is or how much Americans have to pay.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-09-2019 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 04:50 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Let us know how that whole "voting out the bureaucrats" works out for you, Ace.
I vote that way all the time. It's taken awhile but we are slowly getting there.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:25 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I would happily pay more taxes for a UHC like Australia has.

Besides, Whats the difference when our deductible is 11k for a family of four?
why would you chose a 11k deductible

my deductible for a family of 6 is 1500

Old 02-09-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Look, I know I'm wasting my time, but:
The "average US worker" already pays a lot in taxes: federal, payroll, sales, property, state. And then come the extra items: healthcare, retirement, daycare, college, family leaves. When you sum all of this up, it can easily exceed your magic 45% number for many in the middle class as of today.

Things need to be paid for, there is no free lunch.
BUT, as I also said, for somebody making millions, or 10s of millions, or more, it is much better to have all of these stay as extra items, because they would be negligible compared to income.

20k in daycare on a 100k income is 20% effective tax on this income.
15k in insurance is 15% effective tax.
2.5% property tax on a 300k house is equivalent to 7.5% tax on the income.
Payroll taxes - about 8%
Retirement ....

I even didn't have to include federal income tax..
the fact is the average worker pays less than 10% in federal income/payroll tax... which will increase greatly

yes 20k in daycare is about 20% of a 100k income..but it is NOT a tax, and it will not go lower by implementing another government program

Old 02-09-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The 31% is the total income/payroll tax burden, not just the fed tax rate. See my tax foundation link.
yes and the point of the tax foundation is we are already "taxed enough already"...aka the TEA party

you are helping to make the point...do you (or anyother working taxpayer) want to see the FEDERAL rate slam the middleclass, workingclass, and the working poor at 55% or higher... do you REALLY want to be a slave to the unforgiving government

Old 02-09-2019, 08:47 PM

8,116 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
the fact is the average worker pays less than 10% in federal income/payroll tax... which will increase greatly

yes 20k in daycare is about 20% of a 100k income..but it is NOT a tax, and it will not go lower by implementing another government program
I do not care if it is called a tax or not. It is an expense, got it?
Another poster quoted a %45 "European" tax. Turns out it is not a bad deal if "all inclusive".

And on your second point, yes, sometimes it does go lower because when tax based you keep taxing the extremely high incomes.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:57 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The old "free stuff" thing, eh? Medicare For All, in whatever form it takes, will not be free. For most people the higher taxes under M4A will be less than what they pay for private insurance premiums now. But we will all definitely pay for it.

Nobody will ever answer my question. What happens to the people who currently have great insurance provided by the employer? Surely that money will not be transferred to me. So essentially you have millions who will have their taxes raised massively and lose their insurance and be waiting months on end along with all the deadbeats who pay 0

Old 02-09-2019, 09:30 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
why would you chose a 11k deductible

my deductible for a family of 6 is 1500
My company offered 2 plans ...one with a 6k deductible and the other a 11k.

The 6k had much more per month.

We had a child last year and spent 13,200 in total on medical expenses...

Old 02-09-2019, 09:31 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If we don't have to pay for the wars and bail outs, why do we have to pay for health care?

Hyperbole does not make for good arguments. You are paying now. Having people see a doctor before and issue becomes an emergency is far cheaper than paying for E.R. visits.

Have you ever worked in a hospital? Do you realize how many go to the er because they refuse to or are too stupid to set up a normal appointment? People get everything free so why not go to the er and get treated right now instead of waiting.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I do not care if it is called a tax or not. It is an expense, got it?
Another poster quoted a %45 "European" tax. Turns out it is not a bad deal if "all inclusive".

And on your second point, yes, sometimes it does go lower because when tax based you keep taxing the extremely high incomes.
no the cost of daycare and others will not go lower ...ever...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies