Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 11:07 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times

Advertisements

Those of you who have read any post from me know I lean fairly liberal on most social issues. This may surprise you:

1. I don't think illegal immigration should be left unchecked, and I don't support "open borders."

2. I don't understand my city and state's "Sanctuary" policies, nor do I support them.

3. I don't think ICE should be abolished, nor do I think they own the blame for a parent who took a kid on a long, dangerous journey and the kid got sick.

4. I'm good with more walls in places that merit it, as part of a comprehensive and multi-layered border / immigration management strategy, and I would wish Democrats would be honest and open to it as part of some compromise on their side.

On the other hand...

5. I just don't think that Great Wall of China 2.0 across the border would be an effective strategy.

6. I don't like blanket vilification / stereotyping of all immigrants, nor do I like baseless fearmongering tactics that fly in face of facts.

7. I don't like intentionally splitting up families as a punitive measure, even if they came in illegally.

8. I don't like government shutdowns and hostage taking as negotiation strategy.

9. I think there needs to be a path to onboard those who have already come through and had generations grow up illegally in the USA - but then close the holes that let them in in the first place.

I oftentimes feel the gap on this issue wouldn't have to be as wide as it's often portrayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies