Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 12:31 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,783,788 times

Advertisements

I don't get why those on the Right such as Trump supporters aren't all over this? After all their always going on about the importance of small government. Well this is a good way to shrink the government. Yet I don't see the usual small government suspects posting in support of ban like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 12:32 PM

23,965 posts, read 15,059,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Right, so stop the government regulation and no business people would have any incentive to bribe politicians.
But would business be more or less ethical? It's a chicken egg thing. Or like a one woman said at the city council meeting, if there are so many people getting speeding tickets, let's just raise the speed limit. Speeding problem solved.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:56 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
But would business be more or less ethical? It's a chicken egg thing. Or like a one woman said at the city council meeting, if there are so many people getting speeding tickets, let's just raise the speed limit. Speeding problem solved.
Without government regulation, lying cheating stealing are still illegal.

I would like to pass a law that holds business executives personally liable for lying cheating stealing.

Do you really think lying cheating stealing, generally screwing with the customers, is the best strategy to conduct business?

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 02-09-2019 at 01:06 PM..

Old 02-09-2019, 12:59 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,019 times
have you ever wondered about the "speaking fees" and "book deals" made popular in recent years?...they are a direct result of going around bribery laws in many cases....maybe just more money to publicize existing "donations" made by lobby groups in order to "shame" each politician...but business is nothing if not crafty they will most probably be one step ahead IMO

Old 02-09-2019, 01:30 PM

23,965 posts, read 15,059,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Without government regulation, lying cheating stealing are still illegal.

I would like to pass a law that holds business executives personally liable for lying cheating stealing.

Do you really think lying cheating stealing, generally screwing with the customers, is the best strategy to conduct business?
I'll vote for that. But with the incestuous interlocking directorates, proving it will be hard.

Don't talk to me about lying cheating businessmen.

As a loyal Houstonian I thought my duty was to buy Enron stock.

Lost 25K.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:32 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,956,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Sigh...

Lobbying is a very important part of how the government runs. Your congress person has not a clue how a new air traffic control radar will improve airline safety, but that lobbyist is going to inform him of so. Your congress person has not a clue about many, many things, lobbyist are the ones who inform politicians of such things.

You are only thinking of the lobbyist who legally bribe politicians in the sense of pure self interest (what we call bribery if other countries have such a system, we just make it legal), over the general public and even the good of the US, however, though they make the news often, they are a very, very small part of the overall lobbying effort. Lobbying involves everything from the military contractors, to non-profits to help homeless animals.
Ahh so it is only a small part.
I have a 100 dollar hammer to sell you I got from a military contractor.
Interested?

Old 02-09-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
A shrinking of government would shrink lobbying.
Lobbyist do not want to shrink the government.
It takes a big govt to serve them.
Start there.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:39 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
There are a lot of rules and regulations on lobbying.
I propose we replace all those with one.
Ban Lobbying.

Also many corporations and banks write the regulations to benefit them and kill their competition.
With lobbying banned, they would no longer be able to do that.

Lobbying and obtaining campaign funds are two of the worst corrupting influences in politics

Most every citizen supports such measures.

However, one cannot accomplish this due to challenges noting 1st Amendment rights.

Would require a revision of the Constitution and a convention of the states.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:47 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
A shrinking of government would shrink lobbying.
Strip its power and you take away the product its selling.
A lobbying ban would only increase the amount of backroom deals.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Strip its power and you take away the product its selling.
A lobbying ban would only increase the amount of backroom deals.
The government nor the lobbyists want to end that power.
Now what?

Even so, if we were successful in banning lobbying, there would be few backroom deals.
With the political parties at each other throats and trying to send each other to prison.
If there was even a scent of backroom deals going on, which would be easy to spot, since it is now illegal, the other party would pounce on it with investigations like flies on crap.

If you see Harry the politician eating at Andres with Joe from Acme Corp, Harry buys a ton of stock and also passes bills favorable to Acme Corp, the news and party would tear him to shreds to get to the bottom of it. They would be eyeing his bank account, foreign or otherwise for a big fat deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies