Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 06:04 AM

958 posts, read 303,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
No, there is no correlation. Each year, 12 million people get cancer, and 7 million people die from the disease. Of the 7 million people who died, most were prayed for, and they all died. If no one had prayed for any of them ever, 7 million of them would have still died, exactly what you would expect. Morbidity doesn’t care about prayer. A few hundred thousand people will survive serious cancers every year, even when they were told they have 6 months to live. That is the nature of reality. It has nothing to do with wanting or hoping or praying. It’s just normal observed variance. Most people who get a death sentence from a doctor do just what you would expect - they die on or close to schedule. But normal variance shows a few people getting lucky and beating their cancer, at least temporarily. The immune system can occasionally knock down a serious cancer. That’s reality. Mostly no, but once in a while yes. No need to look for ghosts, the answer is right here and right now and makes perfect rational sense once we understand what is going on in reality.

So, let’s agree to disagree on the prayer thing. It’s been studied, and intercessory prayer has no effect on outcome of the prayer target. Zero, zilch, nada. But it can be a pleasant activity to relax and create some inner peace. So just enjoy it. It’s a free country and we can spend our limited time in existence doing whatever makes us happy. So go for it if you enjoy it.

You always have to look at who 'studies' these things, who finances these 'studies', and what their goals are.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
OK..... At first I actually believed you had really strong faith, and that you believe it was your prayers alone that made Hillary lose. I pray daily too, so I'm not going to bash anyone's beliefs. But for you to claim that God would reply that he can't stand Hillary too, I'm calling B.S. If you are a Christian, then you know God doesn't speak of us that way. He loves Hillary, and even Trump. Next your going to say that God is a Republican! LOLOL There's no way you can be taken seriously.

IIf you couldn't see I was joking about God talking to me about Hillary, I can't help you, friend. lol.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:07 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,622,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
You always have to look at who 'studies' these things, who finances these 'studies', and what their goals are.
OK. Go do that, and come back and tell us what you find. Meanwhile, I don't see any reason to doubt the validity of his data.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Cheesemont, you are now on my Ignore list because in my definite opinion, anyone who thinks that their personal prayers are responsible for the outcome of an election is obviously delusional, and so nothing they say on any subject is worth even a second of my time.
Amerika in 2040: All who are caught praying or showing allegiance to an entity that is not The State, shall be deemed "delusional" and sentenced to a "psychiatric gulag".

Old 02-10-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
There was a long process of character assassination carried out, literally for decades, and people just drank it in with their kool-aid.
Because it's 100% true that she committed multiple crimes and lies.

Scott Pelley: "Have you always leveled with the American people."

Hillary: "I've always tried to"

Pelley: "A lot of people are going to hear that answer and think you gave yourself wiggle room. So will you always tell the truth to the American people?"

Hillary: "I will always try to"

This interview says it all.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
Same here. I think Cheesy is really a hipster liberal who is just having fun on internet forums. There's no way a sane/sober person believes that.
No. Liberals don't pray. They don't believe in God. That's why conservatives will always eventually win.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:16 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,217,766 times
Quote:
Atheists have sky daddies of their own. There is the climate change sky daddy for one.
Well, then. My sky daddy is a measurable phenomenon, which is more than I can say for yours.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:28 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Quote:
No. Liberals don't pray. They don't believe in God. That's why conservatives will always eventually win.
That is a lie. Some liberals do, some conservatives don't. Look around you on this forum, and you will find examples of both. To claim that no liberals pray or believe in God (or, for that matter, to claim that all conservatives do both) is either trolling or absolute blind, willful ignorance.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Well, then. My sky daddy is a measurable phenomenon, which is more than I can say for yours.
Future baseless glolbal warming predictions are no more scientific than rolls of the roulette wheel.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That is a lie. Some liberals do, some conservatives don't. Look around you on this forum, and you will find examples of both. To claim that no liberals pray or believe in God (or, for that matter, to claim that all conservatives do both) is either trolling or absolute blind, willful ignorance.
Leftwingers who believe it is acceptable to abort healthy children right up to birth cannot possibly believe in God
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.