Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 07:13 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
Ah now, we're getting somewhere. Because then minute you say something is extrinsically immoral, you've acknowledged an external power, and are acknowledging the view of this external power.
Not true. Morality is an invention of mankind. It comes from the branch of philosophy known as Ethics. Morality is a code of values to guide our actions and choices. You don’t need to know God’s will to define a rational code of values. That’s our job.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:17 PM

958 posts, read 303,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Not true. Morality is an invention of mankind. It comes from the branch of philosophy known as Ethics. Morality is a code of values to guide our actions and choices. You don’t need to know God’s will to define a rational code of values. That’s our job.
So you're saying morality is man-made. I'll turn your question around on you. Which man?

Old 02-13-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
So you're saying morality is man-made. I'll turn your question around on you. Which man?
Exactly. It is completely an invention of man. Ethics is the science of discovering and defining a moral code. The men who specialize in this are philosophers. There are 4 branches of philosophy. Metaphysics - the nature of reality. Epistemology - how we learn. Ethics - What should we do? And finally, Esthetics which deals with art and communication of values at the most abstract level.

So philosophers who specialize in the Ethics branch discover and design a good moral code to guide man’s actions and choices.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:44 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
No, there is a difference between miscarriages and man actively committing abortion. Because if there isn't, then we devolve in the silly atheist argument that "Well if your god allows people to die, how can you worship a killer".
Well, I'm an atheist. Once I was in my teens, believing that god exists seemed sillier and sillier.

Just pointing out the obvious - if god exists, and if spontaneous abortions exist, then it is manifestly true that god is OK if all fertilized eggs don't come to term.

Besides, if god is omnipotent and omniscient, and if god intends that all fertilized eggs come to term, then how is it that human-caused abortion is even possible?

Also, you are straying out of P&OC limits. You wanna argue this, come visit the Atheists & Agnostics forum. We'd just love to see you there!

Last edited by jacqueg; 02-13-2019 at 07:53 PM..

Old 02-13-2019, 07:47 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Ah now, we're getting somewhere. Because then minute you say something is extrinsically immoral, you've acknowledged an external power, and are acknowledging the view of this external power.
That's quite a leap.

If you need god to tell you that it's not OK to kill children in a nursery - well, you must be exquisitely dense.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Well, I'm an atheist. Once I was in my teens, believing that god exists seemed sillier and sillier.

Just pointing out the obvious - if god exists, and if spontaneous abortions exist, then it is manifestly true that god is OK if all fertilized eggs don't come to term.

Besides, if god is omnipotent and omniscient, and if god intends that all fertilized eggs come to term, then how is it that human-caused abortion is even possible?

Also, you are straying out of P&OC limits. You wanna argue this, come visit the Atheists & Agnostics forum. We'd just love to see you there!
1. Why would you assume God wants all fertilized eggs to come to term? We aren't talking miscarriages; we're talking abortions.
2. I'm not the one who brought all this up.
3. They don't allow debate in the atheist forum. Presumably it doesn't go well for the atheists.

So anyhow, yes. Back to the topic at hand. How my constant intense prayers got Hillary defeated.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:18 PM

I have to say, I was worried there was a possibility God would say no to my prayer because America has turned its back so much of God, that he would feel we needed to hit rock bottom. But fortunately, he decided to spare us for now. Sometimes God doesn't give us what we deserve; he gives us what we need.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Exactly. It is completely an invention of man. Ethics is the science of discovering and defining a moral code. The men who specialize in this are philosophers. There are 4 branches of philosophy. Metaphysics - the nature of reality. Epistemology - how we learn. Ethics - What should we do? And finally, Esthetics which deals with art and communication of values at the most abstract level.

So philosophers who specialize in the Ethics branch discover and design a good moral code to guide man’s actions and choices.
No. Man is fallible. I don't rely on man to devise my ethical roadmap. Only perfect God can do that.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
No. Man is fallible. I don't rely on man to devise my ethical roadmap. Only perfect God can do that.
Infallibility is not required to design a good moral code. In fact, fallibility is the engine that allows us to improve our ethics over time.

And also, you most certainly DO rely on man for your ethical roadmap, because that is the only place morality has ever come from, comes from now, or will ever come from.

And since we have already established that you do not, and cannot, know God’s will, it MUST come from man.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Infallibility is not required to design a good moral code. In fact, fallibility is the engine that allows us to improve our ethics over time.

And also, you most certainly DO rely on man for your ethical roadmap, because that is the only place morality has ever come from, comes from now, or will ever come from.

And since we have already established that you do not, and cannot, know God’s will, it MUST come from man.
Since we have established morality has never come from, doesn't come from now, and will never come from man, it MUST come from God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies