Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 03:08 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Did you miss the part where I mentioned I'm agnostic?
That has nothing to do with the fact that you left out half of the equation.

Quote:
My point is, regardless of what I think, I don't agree with bashing on people who find comfort in religion and prayer.
I agree, but "taking comfort" is not what the OP is doing here; instead, he's gloating that his prayers are more effective than anyone else's prayers. Hardly a Christian attitude.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:10 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
My very devout Catholic grandmother had a huge picture of Christ over her bed. He was blonde with blue eyes. I'm sure that's what most pretend Christians think Christ looked like.
It always struck me as funny, that level of willful ignorance. Have those people ever looked at a map? Is their bias against brown-skinned people that strong?

Old 02-09-2019, 03:30 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
Right after 0bummer won re-election, I was despondent. I had prayed sporadically, but wasn't living my best life. Then when the result happened, I decided to clean things up a bit, and become fervent in my prayers. So I said the Rosary every single day for the next four years, without exception. Every day. Took me 20-30 minutes a day. I offered the Rosary as prayer as I requested various things; protection for my family, well-being for friends and those who were sick, for the souls of loved ones. But I always ended by praying for the country, specifically for the 2016 election, that Hillary would lose.

I was FERVENT in my prayers. "Please, God. PLEASE spare the country. PLEASE don't allow the Supreme Court to go nutty left. Please help the unborn, God. Please. You can't possibly allow that evil woman to win. All the hatred and lies and criminal activity by her CANNOT be rewarded, God. PLEASE!!!!"

So all during 2015 and 2016, the media had Trump in trouble. Couldn't win the nomination. About to quit. This new scandal will be the one that does him in. On and on it went. They had him with a 90% chance to lose. Even the day before the election, they had him ten points down. No chance of winning. The exit polls, according to the early evening telecasts, had a huge Hillary win.

Still I kept on praying.

Then the tide suddenly turned. The most unlikely thing happened. From the ashes, Trump emerged the victor. Prayer worked. Fervent strong prayer every single day.

That episode confirmed for me the power of prayer and existence of God for me. God listened and answered. And I suspect a lot more than me were praying just as hard.
Said every NASCAR driver in victory lane. “ The Lord was with us today as I drove the Cheetos, ExLax, Viagara, Bud Light Special, to victory today.”

People always find a reason to rationalize their beliefs.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:33 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
The most inane part of all this 'praying for' is nobody ever gloats about how many of their prayers didn't result in their preferred result.
Always an excuse for why not
.Suitable for this forum ? Yeah well, controversial, I suppose, but when prefaced with political/Controversial? Yeah, it's a stretch
I've invited the op to the religion boards but, as far as I can ascertain, that did not result in any conversations there

Old 02-09-2019, 03:45 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That has nothing to do with the fact that you left out half of the equation.

I agree, but "taking comfort" is not what the OP is doing here; instead, he's gloating that his prayers are more effective than anyone else's prayers. Hardly a Christian attitude.
I honestly don't believe that the comment was made in support of the OP's claim about his prayers deciding the election. TWIS and I could not possibly be further apart, in terms of our wishes about how that had turned out, but I've read all of her posts to this thread, and I saw nothing to indicate agreement with OP's extremely arrogant claim.

It pains me to delve into this at all, because I think the OP is trolling, but I have to call things as I see them. She's asking that others refrain from bashing all people who choose to pray: nothing more and nothing less.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:46 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Right after 0bummer won re-election, I was despondent. I had prayed sporadically, but wasn't living my best life. Then when the result happened, I decided to clean things up a bit, and become fervent in my prayers. So I said the Rosary every single day for the next four years, without exception. Every day. Took me 20-30 minutes a day. I offered the Rosary as prayer as I requested various things; protection for my family, well-being for friends and those who were sick, for the souls of loved ones. But I always ended by praying for the country, specifically for the 2016 election, that Hillary would lose.

I was FERVENT in my prayers. "Please, God. PLEASE spare the country. PLEASE don't allow the Supreme Court to go nutty left. Please help the unborn, God. Please. You can't possibly allow that evil woman to win. All the hatred and lies and criminal activity by her CANNOT be rewarded, God. PLEASE!!!!"

So all during 2015 and 2016, the media had Trump in trouble. Couldn't win the nomination. About to quit. This new scandal will be the one that does him in. On and on it went. They had him with a 90% chance to lose. Even the day before the election, they had him ten points down. No chance of winning. The exit polls, according to the early evening telecasts, had a huge Hillary win. Still I kept on praying. Then the tide suddenly turned. The most unlikely thing happened. From the ashes, Trump emerged the victor. Prayer worked. Fervent strong prayer every single day.

That episode confirmed for me the power of prayer and existence of God for me. God listened and answered. And I suspect a lot more than me were praying just as hard.
I can't figure out if you're serious or not. Of course, to me, anyone who uses insulting slurs as you do ("Obummer"), doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.

But apart from the obviously absurdity of your illogic, if you're serious - do let us know of any dying people miraculously cured by your prayers. In fact, are you aware that a study was done showing that people got worse if prayed for?

And I must add a perfect retort that I ran across somewhere: If God really favored Trump, he would have won the popular vote, too. He didn't. Lost by millions. And I'm trying to imagine how you'll justify your stance as it's shown more and more that the election was undermined by Russians. By your illogic, that would mean that God favored Russia more than America.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:54 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,502 times
So the Lord said, “ Sure Cheesemont, I’ll grant you your prayer, I’ll put someone in office that will rip away children from their mothers at the border.” Makes sense to me.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:57 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:

So all during 2015 and 2016, the media had Trump in trouble. Couldn't win the nomination. About to quit. This new scandal will be the one that does him in. On and on it went. They had him with a 90% chance to lose. Even the day before the election, they had him ten points down. No chance of winning. The exit polls, according to the early evening telecasts, had a huge Hillary win.

Still I kept on praying.

Then the tide suddenly turned. The most unlikely thing happened. From the ashes, Trump emerged the victor. Prayer worked. Fervent strong prayer every single day.

So then you prayed to God that we would have a Russian agent for a President instead?

Got it !

Old 02-09-2019, 04:15 PM

37,180 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:

Still I kept on praying.

God is a vending machine. You put your dreams in the slot, and make your selection.

Then you open the door and reach in, and pull out the antichrist.

Got it. Hard pass, thanks. I'll stick to drawing pentangles and sacrificing virgins.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:16 PM

2,070 posts, read 892,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This thread is hilarious. Why would God choose an adulterous, lying swindler to lead a nation? That's three commandments broken right there.
+7 According to christian tradition the seven deadly sins are: envy, gluttony, greed or avarice, lust, pride, sloth, & wrath.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies