Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 06:43 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times

Advertisements

Is this the one that question Karvanaugh about his high school yearbook?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 06:49 PM

2,448 posts, read 894,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The concept of a tough boss is just propaganda Americans are taught to worship power.

She is a public servant, do you think the power hasn't gotten to her head, or that she has forgotten who she works for (not lobbyists, but the people).

Sending others to do your personal work, or making them cry is not a sign of strength, it is a sign of ignorance.

Grown adults aren't made to cry by anyone else. Grown adults choose to cry. You can choose to place your emotions in the hands of others and you can choose to give power to others to have control over you in the workplace or you can choose not to do that. Millions of people choose not to everyday, just as millions of people choose not to cry everyday in the workplace. I would be ashamed, justifiably, to cry because I let a boss or coworker hurt my feelings.

I'll ask again: why in our culture do we increasingly valorize weakness and victimhood? Any ideas? People didn't used to act and talk like this. Even twenty years, people would've rolled over in laughter at the idea of policing language the way we do now in the workplace, in school, in media, et cetera. They would've laughed at the idea of someone losing his career over something he said thirty years ago or a costume he wore thirty years ago. What's wrong with us?

Old 02-09-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I actually met her at a fundraiser for Gabby Giffords. She comes off as a lovely person and surprisingly attractive in a mild way. I’d never peg her for a bully or a power hungry nutjob, but apparently she’s either one or both of those.
I know I'd trust anonymous ex-employees reported by HuffPo and your beloved Fox News over your firsthand experiences. I'm sure she's a monster.

I'll bet some of those ex-staffer have comfort dogs, now. Remember all those people during the Depression who needed therapy dogs to get through their days? Not that that compared to the travails we have to endure these days, of course.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:55 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Is this the one that question Karvanaugh about his high school yearbook?
NO

That duty fell to some other loons on the committee.

Klobuchar concentrated on how her own father was an acholic.
She could have been the victim of fetal alcohol syndrome which would explain a lot.
Possible sperm damage at conception. Who knows ?

https://medlineplus.gov/fetalalcohol...disorders.html
Alcohol can harm your baby at any stage during a pregnancy.

Children who are born with FASD can have a mix of problems, such as medical, behavioral, educational, and social problems.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
NO

That duty fell to some other loons on the committee.

Klobuchar concentrated on how her own father was an acholic. She could have been the victim of fetal alcohol syndrome which would explain a lot.

https://medlineplus.gov/fetalalcohol...disorders.html
Alcohol can harm your baby at any stage during a pregnancy.
The psychiatric and medical speculation is lowering IQ points of viewers as we speak.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:06 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
The psychiatric and medical speculation is lowering IQ points of viewers as we speak.
That is the job of liberal media.
Anything that can be done to assist them they will welcome.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:01 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I actually met her at a fundraiser for Gabby Giffords. She comes off as a lovely person and surprisingly attractive in a mild way. I’d never peg her for a bully or a power hungry nutjob, but apparently she’s either one or both of those.
People tend not to show their real selves at fundraisers or public events.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:06 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Grown adults aren't made to cry by anyone else. Grown adults choose to cry. You can choose to place your emotions in the hands of others and you can choose to give power to others to have control over you in the workplace or you can choose not to do that. Millions of people choose not to everyday, just as millions of people choose not to cry everyday in the workplace. I would be ashamed, justifiably, to cry because I let a boss or coworker hurt my feelings.

I'll ask again: why in our culture do we increasingly valorize weakness and victimhood? Any ideas? People didn't used to act and talk like this. Even twenty years, people would've rolled over in laughter at the idea of policing language the way we do now in the workplace, in school, in media, et cetera. They would've laughed at the idea of someone losing his career over something he said thirty years ago or a costume he wore thirty years ago. What's wrong with us?
Stop distracting from the issue. You cherry pick one point, and then go off on a tangent about victim hood.

This isn’t about victim hood, it’s about her. She is the one whose had the highest turnover rate of staff since 2001. And there have been many reports, even from Harry Ried about her behavior.

People on the receiving end should be strong, but the boss shouldn’t be the one treating the ones under her with no dignity and respect.

I don’t care how much you want to support her, deal with the facts you’re facing. It’s pathetic that Americans still think those who let their positions get to them are ‘strong’.

They’re weak people who abuse their power, and they should never have had it in the first place.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Stop distracting from the issue. You cherry pick one point, and then go off on a tangent about victim hood.

This isn’t about victim hood, it’s about her. She is the one whose had the highest turnover rate of staff since 2001. And there have been many reports, even from Harry Ried about her behavior.

People on the receiving end should be strong, but the boss shouldn’t be the one treating the ones under her with no dignity and respect.

I don’t care how much you want to support her, deal with the facts you’re facing. It’s pathetic that Americans still think those who let their positions get to them are ‘strong’.

They’re weak people who abuse their power, and they should never have had it in the first place.
The entire article revolves around the alleged victimhood of her ex-staffers, so I'll continue to make some larger points about our culture that celebrates weakness and victimhood, but thanks for your concern.

You're begging the question when you say "but the boss shouldn’t be the one treating the ones under her with no dignity and respect." That she does this certainly hasn't been established to my satisfaction. You're interpreting anonymous statements from her ex-employees. I think your language is silly. I think anyone who describes what I've read in the pathetic article from the pathetic HuffPo as "abuse" is a pretty sheltered, pretty soft person. The choice, by the way, isn't between being a weak person who wallows in your victimhood versus a mean, crass, vindictive person. A demanding boss who occasionally reams you out when you screw up badly isn't an abuser.

The epiphany for me happened in a previous life when I was an hourly manager. A new boss took it upon himself to tell me repeatedly that if it had been up to him, I never would've been hired and generally made a point of trying to make me feel poorly at work most everyday he was there. And I got angry and questioned myself and then I finally realized that I was choosing to be a victim by giving him power over how I felt. So I gradually stopped doing that and got assertive with him. You'd be amazed how often we can stop being victims simply by being assertive. I also decided to "outlive him" at that workplace, and I did: he found another job and quit. At the end of it, I was grateful I went through it, because:
a. I learned how not to manage people from his poor example.
b. I was stronger from having gone through it. Now I exist in a professional world and I chuckle to myself when I hear colleagues speak of being "chewed out" by the boss, when the "chewing out" was not even remotely close to being "chewed out" or demeaned. Again, if you exist in a world without much hardship and toil, you're more likely to be dramatic and catastrophize things, like we see in this article. What doesn't kill us really does make us stronger.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
People tend not to show their real selves at fundraisers or public events.
But they do show their "real selves" as anonymous sources in articles from dubious Internet websites?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies