Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 06:13 PM

14,856 posts, read 8,173,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
They did, however ALL mention slavery. Every last one of them.
I agree. But the overarching point I was trying to make in this thread, is that the world isn't run on racism. It is run on money. The institution of slavery had only one purpose, money. Race was merely an excuse.

I mentioned the Iraq War because the vast-majority of Americans supported the Iraq War. Why?

Didn't most people think we had good intentions? But didn't they actually lie us into the Iraq War? Why did we believe them?

What did the southern soldiers believe they were fighting for?

I get triggered when people frame the Civil War as being about slavery. It was about money. And framing it as being about slavery, is like framing the Iraq War as being about freedom and democracy, or terrorism. Only children believe that ****.

It was the 1% lying to people to fight their wars so they can have more money. And that applies to both the north and the south.

The 1% in the north, who instituted a draft because no one wanted to fight their war, were no better than the 1% in the south. And their goal wasn't to free anyone.

In fact, most libertarians believe that the Civil War ultimately enslaved the entire world.

Have you ever read the exchange between Lord Acton and Robert E. Lee?

https://theimaginativeconservative.o...n-liberty.html

Quote:
"Without presuming to decide the purely legal question, on which it seems evident to me from Madison’s and Hamilton’s papers that the Fathers of the Constitution were not agreed, I saw in State Rights the only availing check upon the absolutism of the sovereign will, and secession filled me with hope, not as the destruction but as the redemption of Democracy. The institutions of your Republic have not exercised on the old world the salutary and liberating influence which ought to have belonged to them, by reason of those defects and abuses of principle which the Confederate Constitution was expressly and wisely calculated to remedy. I believed that the example of that great Reform would have blessed all the races of mankind by establishing true freedom purged of the native dangers and disorders of Republics. Therefore I deemed that you were fighting the battles of our liberty, our progress, and our civilization; and I mourn for the stake which was lost at Richmond more deeply than I rejoice over that which was saved at Waterloo." - Lord Acton

I wish you would also read Lysander Spooner's essay, "No Treason".

Lysander Spooner – No Treason No. 6: The Constitution of No Authority

Old 02-10-2019, 06:15 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,994,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
You know I wonder how many of you would lose (have lost) your minds on a thread about abusing the American flag? I mean, it doesn’t really represent anything, just a quaint relic of days gone by. People just keep it around as a remembrance of their heritage. Right?
Many of my relatives including my father had that flag covering their casket...…….I always have and always will have a problem with someone abusing it.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:15 PM

14,856 posts, read 8,173,646 times
Quote:
I grew up with a step-grandfather and two uncles who were robe wearing members of the Klan.
Grats, you are .003% of the population.

Quote:
My Father spent four years of WWII in Germany, France, and Austria fighting Nazis. If he was still around, he would be happy to pick up his Garand again and pick up where he left off in 1944.
Is the America of today what your father fought for? I wouldn't lift a finger for this ****hole.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:18 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,242,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I agree. But the overarching point I was trying to make in this thread, is that the world isn't run on racism. It is run on money. The institution of slavery had only one purpose, money. Race was merely an excuse.

I mentioned the Iraq War because the vast-majority of Americans supported the Iraq War. Why?

Didn't most people think we had good intentions? But didn't they actually lie us into the Iraq War? Why did we believe them?

What did the southern soldiers believe they were fighting for?

I get triggered when people frame the Civil War as being about slavery. It was about money. And framing it as being about slavery, is like framing the Iraq War as being about freedom and democracy, or terrorism. Only children believe that ****.

It was the 1% lying to people to fight their wars so they can have more money. And that applies to both the north and the south.

The 1% in the north, who instituted a draft because no one wanted to fight their war, were no better than the 1% in the south. And their goal wasn't to free anyone.

In fact, most libertarians believe that the Civil War ultimately enslaved the entire world.

Have you ever read the exchange between Lord Acton and Robert E. Lee?

https://theimaginativeconservative.o...n-liberty.html

I wish you would also read Lysander Spooner's essay, "No Treason".

Lysander Spooner – No Treason No. 6: The Constitution of No Authority
Lincoln and North wanted to control the South's economy by taxes....of course, the South mention slavery as one of many reasons for leaving the union it was their economy they wanted to keep control.

one more time, Lincoln and the North were ok for the South to keep slavery as long that they control the revenues. It's the reason the North with Lincoln supporting it passed the Corwin Amendment so the South return to the Union, the South refused.

When the South started Secession, Lincoln was asked, "Why not let the South go in peace?" To which he replied, "I can't let them go. Who would pay for the government?" Sensing total financial ruin for the North, Lincoln waged war on the South. The South fought the War to repel Northern aggression and invasion.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:21 PM

27,393 posts, read 28,466,481 times
The Confederate Flag does symbolize southern heritage. It's just that southern heritage includes slavery.

Slight problem there.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:21 PM

37,036 posts, read 18,994,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I'm a native Southerner. The Confederate battle flag was always promoted more by the lower classes than the upper classes, but even in the 1990s, "heritage, not hate" was a valid description of it. Unfortunately the Confederate flag has been taken and used as a symbol by the worst racists, such as Ralph Northam, and it can't really be viewed now as simply a symbol of heritage. The fact that Donald Trump supporters nationwide use it shows that it's not simply a historical symbol; it's a symbol of bigotry now. It needs to go.

cuebald, your slogan (Visit S.C. And Feel Better About Your State) is incredibly nasty and ill-informed. I see that you're based in Columbia, so your slogan really slams your own town. Try visiting Greenville and Charleston, which are charming.
I've lived in South Carolina for over 60 years, and been in places in this state most people never heard of. We had a house at Garden City Beach ten miles below Myrtle while I was growing up. I have seen the coast of this state go from what was once a paradise to a concrete crusted monstrosity due to the greed of politicians and developers. I own property in four different counties, including a lot at Fort Fremont, just outside Beaufort. I have a daughter living on James Island, and go down regularly to visit my granddaughters. Charleston is about to develop itself out of existence if I-526 is completed. One of them was getting ready to cut the Angel Oak to build houses before there was such a public uproar that he finally agreed to sell the patch of land with the tree, which is now surrounded by a fence to try to stop vandalism. I am sitting five miles from the State House as I type here, on a tract of land that was once part of General Wade Hampton's Plantation. His plantation house, Millwood, was just over a mile from where I sit. Sherman sent a detail out to specifically burn it, but the columns are still standing. I have visited there a number of times.

My family owned slaves, and at least eight of them fought for the Confederacy on both sides of my family. They remain to this day largely unreconstructed, and I have as little to do with them as possible. I have a cousin and his wife who have not spoken to me since I married a Catholic girl 42 years ago, because "those people pray to idols."

My slogan is the result of years of observation and absolute disgust with what this state has chosen to become. If my wife could have been talked into a move, I would have been gone from here forty years ago.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
works for you not for the rest of us....that is generalizing negatively a group by your own bias and prejudice. Many people around the world view the American flag as negative.......I could care less about what they think of me if I wear it or fly it.
They don't live under it. They can think what they will.

What you do is your business. Just be aware that not everyone is going to view your flying the CBF as some sort of nod to your "heritage".

Old 02-10-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Grats, you are .003% of the population.

Is the America of today what your father fought for? I wouldn't lift a finger for this ****hole.
He would have recognized the faces under the tiki torches in Charlottesville, for sure, but I doubt he would have considered them "fine people".

Old 02-10-2019, 06:28 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,242,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The Confederate Flag does symbolize southern heritage. It's just that southern heritage includes slavery.

That's the problem.

the U.S. was founded when slavery was legal........our Founding Fathers had slaves.... what is your point?

is the declaration of independence a problem for you? how about the American Flag of the original 13 states all the way until 1865?.....anything before 1865 is a problem? then let's start taking down buildings, statues and change the names of schools, streets, avenues, parks, libraries and cities and states named after slave owners.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:30 PM

56,990 posts, read 35,095,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
to understand slavery in the Americas as you do then you have to understand history at the moment as the bigger picture and not focus only in the American South. The U.S. inherited slavery from the British, Spaniards and French......What went down in the South, happened in all the European colonies in the Americas at a higher rate and the majority in those colonies didn't own slaves or didn't dream of having slaves. Most of them were worried about eating and growing their own crops for survival and surviving deadly diseases and hunger that cut short the life expectancy of them.

Why would you buy a slave and not take care of him? so for them to get sick and die and your investment goes down the drain? back then life expectancy wasn't high. Only wealthy people could buy slaves and take care of them. They had the lands and resources to put them to work and feed them and take care of them.

it's like buying a truck, horse or a machine to work on your lands and not taking care of it, how long your investment will last?

for a guy that is alive in 2019, you sure know a lot about white people in the South from the 1800s of their dreams and sexual desires. LOL
Yep. I know EXACTLY what they wanted back then. And you’re not even bothering to refute what I said either because you know it’s the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies