Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 11:55 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times

Advertisements

The Confederate flag means nothing to me, even though I am a born and raised southern girl, but my family came from NY, and before that, came from Germany and Italy around WW1 and WW2. I feel no sense of pride with it, but I also feel no shame or hate for it either. However, I will see people driving around me with the flags of their home countries in their cars and homes, and it has me a bit baffled if their home countries were so great, then how come they aren't there instead of the USA? I can understand having pride in your people, like I have in the Italian and German in me, but the flags themselves are a disgrace and my family has long since turned our backs on the very same government that wanted to make our lives miserable.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:59 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
The Confederate IS simply the symbol of the South and we fly it out of pride for our identity the way people of Irish descent fly the Irish flag, the way Jews fly the Israeli flag, etc. Of course there are some Southerners who lack pride, just like there are Americans who lack pride and don't fly the US flag, etc etc

Old 02-10-2019, 12:03 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
You discount this claim but many blacks ARE brainwashed by the liberal media into believing the Confederate flag is racist, just like they are brainwashed into believing Trump is racist. CNN would run article that state "a symbol of racism" as if its a fact. I personally do believe in a Southern pride and American nationalism that transcends race. The Democrats use race to get many middle class blacks to vote against their economic and religious self interest. Most blacks in the South are as pro-life as whites but they vote for the party of abortion, for example.
I discount that claim because I've seen that before, over and over. The whole "Blacks are brainwashed" crap was used as far back as the 50s and 60s to justify Blacks having problems with the way things were. It's gaslighting.

I think you wish Blacks were brainwashed into thinking Trump. Trump retweeting an anti-Black tweet, making that racially motivated tweet towards then-President Obama regarding the Baltimore riots. Claiming then-President Obama wasn't a citizen, whipping up that bigoted birther non-sense. And then there is Trump claiming "Blacks are too stupid to vote for me" to Michael Cohen. How else am I suppose to perceive President Trump if not racist?

Democrats are using race, so are Republicans. In fact, I can find Republican politicians who have said some very racist things about Blacks. Frank Artiles, Tom Worthan, Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich, Brian Kemp. Frank Artiles calling a lawmaker the "N" word. Tom Worthan(former chairperson of Douglas County,GA) saying "if a Black person gets elected sheriff, bad things are going to happen here" in a recording. Rick Santorum basically speaking about Blacks as if they are some burden on society. Newt Gingrich making the assumption that the only thing Blacks want is food stamps. Brian Kemp and his history of voter suppression in Georgia (and I'm not talking about ID laws). If some blacks see Republicans as racist, there is certainly help involved. And it isn't necessarily leftists you should worry about.

CNN didn't need to tell Blacks to view the Confederate flag as racist. Blacks have never viewed the Confederate flag positively. However, in the years from the 70s onward, more Blacks have been saying so.

This is why I say that if you're coming here to gaslight, this is not the thread for you. This is just my opinion. And I have this opinion based on my experiences. I think deep down you wish Blacks were just "brainwashed". It bothers you that alot of Blacks don't view the Confederate flag positively. Confederate monuments are coming down. More and more people are calling people out on the Confederate flag.

If Southern pride is suppose to transcend race, then there should be a symbol that unites all southerners. The Confederate flag is not that symbol. It is a divisive symbol. It has been divisive going all the way back to the end of the Civil War and before.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:05 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
The Confederate IS simply the symbol of the South and we fly it out of pride for our identity the way people of Irish descent fly the Irish flag, the way Jews fly the Israeli flag, etc. Of course there are some Southerners who lack pride, just like there are Americans who lack pride and don't fly the US flag, etc etc
It is a symbol of the Confederate cause. The Confederacy wanted secession so that it could continue slavery. Why would you want that to be a symbol of the South?

Old 02-10-2019, 12:13 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
We? You French now with this “oui” nonsense? You’re Asian. You don’t have any Confederate Heritage. African Americans ARE the definition of Southern Heritage. We are the most southern ethnic group in the United States. We are more southern than ANY white ethnic group. Nearly all African Americans descend from the 4 million slaves of the South. No other group can make a claim anywhere close to being as emblematic of the South as we can.

The “South” as we know it went from a handful of coastal states to an agricultural empire within about 70 years. That’s because of African American labor. Blacks cleared that land and drained those swamps. Blacks planted and cultivated those crops. Our blood is in that ground more than anyone else’s.

The Confederate Flag is only a representation of white Southern Neo Confederate pride. That’s it. It has nothing to do with the pride of any other group. You’re not even white, so I don’t know why you’re chirping the loudest. Being a wannabe is worse than being the real thing. You’re trying to hard. Ease off the brakes.

Last edited by desertdetroiter; 02-10-2019 at 12:44 AM..

Old 02-10-2019, 12:14 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
The Confederate Flag is a symbol of Southern Pride for Person A and a symbol of racial hatred to Person B. The former sees it as heroic and the latter as villainous. Therefore, it is both. Personally, I wish the Confederate Flag no longer existed and thatt every American now despises it.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:18 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Correction. Some whites.
Fair enough.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:19 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Wow. What happened to your Great-Great-Grandfather, that was a big casualty of the Civil War. Thousands upon thousands died. Far more American casualties in this war than in WWII. And also shows that history can be alot closer to us than we think.

I used to be Methodist, and Baptist (not Southern Baptist). I converted to Catholicism when I was about 20. I went to an African Methodist Episcopal church during part of my childhood. I had no idea that it had branched out of the Methodist Church in 1816 due to discrimination. I didn't find that out until I was in my late 20s. As for the Southern Baptist Convention, I found out a few months ago that it was founded due to a split with mainstream Baptists over the slavery issue. Mainstream Baptists were against slavery, and the South had many slave owners.

Kind of bizarre that you mention what some of the adults were doing between Sunday School and the regular church service. I thought about it. Smoking and all of that hateful language in front of the church. Church is suppose to be a place to get you away from those things. I think about the churches I've been to as an adult. Alot of predominantly White churches (Lutheran and later Catholic). Walking out of a church simply because someone of a different race decides to attend, that goes counter to what Christ's message is about. Let's just say I'm glad I was born in the 1980s. I wouldn't have done that well in the 50s and 60s.

I've never been to a high school football game. I did watch Remember The Titans a few times. That was set in the early 1970s. 1968 in South Carolina, I imagine it would have been quite crazy. I never even heard of Ernie Jackson until today. I wonder what high school was like for him in those years, besides when playing football.

The high school I went to during the early 2000s was founded in 1969. It turns 50 years old this year. It's the oldest active high school in the county. It was built after the Black school and White school were closed. It was basically the school that brought the county into integration. I don't know what things were like during the early years of the school in terms of race and racial tensions. I do know that I saw some racial tensions in my high school when I went there during 2000-2004.

There were Confederate flag flying in large numbers BEFORE Trump got into office. I remember during the summer of 2015 there was a rise in Confederate flags being flown where I live. One gas station had a stand outside selling items with the Confederate flag on them. This was after the CBF was taken down from South Carolina's state capitol. I'm thinking "we just had a horrific hate crime occur, in a church of all places. The person who did this brandished the Confederate flag in some of his photos. He also brandished the old apartheid-era flags of Rhodesia and South Africa. Are you sure you want to be associated with that?". That shooting re-affirmed that racism has never really ended. I think we're in a time where the very bigoted feel comfortable coming up and displaying their ugly ways.
So in other words you're the perfect liberal. Because ONE bad person, Dylan Roof, happened to fly the Confederate flag it makes that flag unacceptable????

Remember after 9-11 we are constantly reminded that not all Muslims are terrorists etc. Yet after the AME church shooting there was a wholesale attack on Southern culture as it Dylan Roof represented all Confederate flag supporters and Southerners. Based on your logic it can be said that the doo rag is bad because so many black criminals wear it, or the hijab and kaffiyeh are representative of Muslim terrorism ,etc

Old 02-10-2019, 02:23 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Honestly your obsession with this is unhealthy.
Yea I’ve noticed the same thing about this poster. Same position, nothing new even the same overuse of the term “gaslighting”. Really this poster is just to hung up on race and has a longstanding unhealthy resentment of white people and southern culture. Maybe if being around confederate symbols bothers him so much he should move out west somewhere where he will rarely see them. Living in Georgia they are going to be around no matter how much protesting about them he does.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:02 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
My GGGrandfather, Henry Williamson Dixon, was a captain in the Confederacy and fought with Stonewall Jackson at the Second Manassas. He was wounded by a sniper near Richmond while he was walking home, and lost his left arm. He was always represented to us as a hero when I was growing up, and he still is to most of my family.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...J/JackEr21.htm
My family history is like this: two brothers, born the sons of a US army officer in Tampa, FL. One brother became a Union Brigadier General. He lost a leg. The other brother joined the Confederate side, was breveted as a Brigadier General on the battlefield and was killed, just minutes later. Both flags convey some meaning to me that has nothing to do with racism or slavery. It is a symbol of a nation, divided. And I suspect that is true of many other families. But its major symbolic use today is diabolical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies